U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 12:42 PM

275 posts, read 394,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your bias and self-deception is quite palpable if you actually think atheists are not guilty of the same thing!
I agree both groups are prone to self-deception (its a general human flaw). The difference, however, becomes apparent when someone points out the flaws in another. Atheists are far more likely to become self-conscious about making such an error, while spiritual sorts tend to not only not care about their error, they often double-down on their Mystakes by calling them features of their faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 01:35 PM

41,481 posts, read 18,692,091 times
Has anyone ever figured out what to call what the Reverend Ken Copeland does? He has fascinated me dating back to the '80's, the golden age of the tv preachers, because it is not merely a matter of disagreeing with what he says, it is that it is impossible to even comprehend what he is saying. He never comes to any sort of point, his sermons are rambling, subject changing, stream of consciousness blither blather. I cannot imagine what the audience is thinking that they are getting out of any of Copeland's presentations. You do not need to take my word for this, Google up any Copeland video on YouTube and it will be as I say, just a string of sentences with no apparent cohesion or conclusion in sight.

I sortta miss the '80's, there was high comedic value to Jim and Tammy, Ken, and my personal favorite, W.V. Grant with his dramatics. I saw one of Grant's shows where he outlined "The Ten Signs of A Divinity Blessing", all of which happily, and coincidentally, seemed to characterize him. One of the signs was speaking in tongues and right in the middle of explaining this, Grant suddenly burst out with this string of gibberish..."Brack mediz fragolen schismizzer..."..like that. After that, one such outburst per show was a regular feature. Grant never was inspired to ever speak in a tongue which anyone might recognize, the Lord never caused him to suddenly speak French or Russian, it was always the gibberish.

Grant was best at the faith healings because he really threw himself into it physically. Rousting Satan from someone's soul often required a forceful shove of the sinner which would send him (or her) flying across the stage and into the arms of some minions stationed there to catch the cured. He would literally kick the crutches out from under the lame person he was healing, smash someone's wheel chair once they no longer needed it...great stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or