U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 06:37 AM

14,190 posts, read 9,077,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Now on a lighter note, when I accidently dropped the recycling and a jar broke in the kitchen tonight, there were more than a few "god blanks" out of my mouth. More than a question of why prayer does not work, is a question of why certain people like myself curse in the name of god's in which we do not believe when things get broken.

Cultural frustration perhaps?
Cultural habit, I'd say. Although even an atheist has a brain that wants to infer agency where it doesn't exist, and while we bring varying levels of self awareness to situations that go against us, there's a tendency at some level -- either feeling at a gut level or having a wry sense of humor about the feeling -- that things that go against us are some sort of conspiracy "behind the curtain".

My first reaction for example when I am quite certain I've addressed some problem or other in my software, yet it still blows up when I re-test it, is "WTF is this s__t?" as if the Software Gods are messing with me. Of course that's not the case, the fact is, I am as a software developer in the god-like creator role and my creation has risen up against me! I must smite it! At least verbally.

Seriously though, the thing I like about software development is that whatever problem exists in my code, it's my fault somehow, and I can deal with that. One of the things that separates run of the mill software developers from good ones is the ability to admit where the problem lies, which gives them a fighting chance of actually finding it.

So when we drop something and it shatters in a million pieces, perhaps the primary reason to rain down curses is that it deflects from the actual cause, which is our own clumsiness and/or carelessness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 10:33 AM

19,778 posts, read 19,880,941 times
Some might just as likely exclaim son-of-a-b...... which is hard to believe is a censored phrase or a profanity....what the hell is wrong with the male offspring of a female dog???????
Look at that...I even just used the term "hell" which, doesn't even make literary sense. It's like saying ....what the Indiana....except that Indiana exists.
Many curse words/phrases make as much sense as prayers do.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Some might just as likely exclaim son-of-a-b...... which is hard to believe is a censored phrase or a profanity....what the hell is wrong with the male offspring of a female dog???????
Look at that...I even just used the term "hell" which, doesn't even make literary sense. It's like saying ....what the Indiana....except that Indiana exists.
Many curse words/phrases make as much sense as prayers do.
My late wife was, among other things, a breeder of dogs and was accustomed to calling female dogs "b_tches" and it always was good for a laugh when such casual references would cause people outside the dog world to be taken aback or, occasionally, bristle. I'd wager that most people think of "b_tch" primarily and often even exclusively as an insult, not a canine gender. Of course, I'm sure that it originated as an insult precisely because someone was suggesting that a woman was as low and crude as a dog. And then "son of a b" was a way to extend it to anyone regardless of gender.

Fascinating stuff, the etymology of cursing.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:19 PM

3,427 posts, read 1,256,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
"Thank you all for your prayers for Uncle _______" was what I saw on a distant friend's facebook post this AM. "He got worse over night and had to be moved into Critical Care. Keep those prayers coming"
I am not making this up. That is, word for word, what was on this person's thread today.
SO, all these people respond with "We have been praying for _______ and Will praying for him" and threads of that ilk.
Of course, it is not my position on that forum to jump in and point out that the old boy (who is probably in his 80's by the nature of the posts) is probably near the end and no prayer or anything else will change that.
BUT I am amazed at the faith of these people....they all claim to pray for this old guy, and he continues to get worse. SO they thank everyone for praying, and pray more. Accordingly, this person even told the uncle a couple days ago how everyone was praying, and he responded with something along the lines of "Well, I am covered then" Of course, he is getting worse, in spite of these prayers, in spite of his faith, and with help of who knows what backwoods Texas medicine.
Amazing how these people maintain that prayer is effective even when a clear example such as this one proves otherwise.
I wanted to post this but will not, as it is not humane to mock the suffering:

It is normal, and expected, for one to grasp out at any available resource when faced with a serious and possible terminal illness. Kubler-Ross's (1969) bargaining stage could be an example of this.

Fascinating though, we have scientific studies that show prayer does not work !
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/he...anted=all&_r=0
But prayer does keep a pastor on the payroll, and it keeps dollars in the offering plate and butts in the pews.
If prayers don't work, then we as individuals would have absolutely NO illusion of control over the unexpected vagaries of life. It would mean that we are constantly subject to the possibility of undeserved BAD THINGS happening to us and our loved ones at any moment with no comforting umbrella of sacred protection whatsoever, and no recourse to overturn unfortunate events when they do occur. We would be absolutely naked in the universe. What would be the point in believing in a God like THAT?

Old 03-26-2014, 02:25 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,112,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
If prayers don't work, then we as individuals would have absolutely NO illusion of control over the unexpected vagaries of life. It would mean that we are constantly subject to the possibility of undeserved BAD THINGS happening to us and our loved ones at any moment with no comforting umbrella of sacred protection whatsoever, and no recourse to overturn unfortunate events when they do occur. We would be absolutely naked in the universe.
Yep, that's the way things are.

You can either accept the facts of life or you can pretend otherwise. Either way is fine as long as you use common sense.

Praying in hopes of curing an illness is fine, but you should also have enough common sense to see a doctor.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:02 PM

8,956 posts, read 6,493,785 times
Don't you know ---

"It's part of god's plan."

"God must have wanted him/her."

"It wasn't meant to be."

Old 03-30-2014, 10:54 PM

11,228 posts, read 11,254,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Prayer gives people the feeling that they are doing something without having to make much of an effort.

This is the time when people who are nearby should be stepping up to help out with the usual domestic tasks. Offer the family some cooked meals. Take their dog for a walk. Pick up their kids at school. Those farther away can send some cards or flowers to the hospital to let the dying person know that they are loved.
This is true. When my mother was near death (she's recovered for now) I called my out-of-state brother to ask if he wanted to come see her one last time. He said he couldn't because he couldn't leave his wife alone. But he said they both would be praying for her. Somehow this was supposed to make up for his absence. Basically, it's just a conscience appeaser.

Far as the prayer goes there are situations where no amount of prayer is going to work. If it did we'd all be praying to live forever and we know that's never going to cut it. When a person is 98 and on their deathbed, the entire world lifting its voice up in prayer is not going to make the slightest difference unless God decides to change the laws of nature, which He is not about to do.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
This is true. When my mother was near death (she's recovered for now) I called my out-of-state brother to ask if he wanted to come see her one last time. He said he couldn't because he couldn't leave his wife alone. But he said they both would be praying for her.
And look!! Their prayers were answered!!

That's the other side of this, if you win the lottery then you can claim to have actually contributed something.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:50 PM

13,677 posts, read 13,579,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
My late wife was, among other things, a breeder of dogs and was accustomed to calling female dogs "b_tches" and it always was good for a laugh when such casual references would cause people outside the dog world to be taken aback or, occasionally, bristle. I'd wager that most people think of "b_tch" primarily and often even exclusively as an insult, not a canine gender. Of course, I'm sure that it originated as an insult precisely because someone was suggesting that a woman was as low and crude as a dog. And then "son of a b" was a way to extend it to anyone regardless of gender.

Fascinating stuff, the etymology of cursing.
My father bred dogs, and I grew up around old hound dog men. At school when the teachers would ask me about whatever puppy I was training when I was a kid, I never failed to freak them out when I'd say things like "Oh she's a great little *****" or something like that.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
My father bred dogs, and I grew up around old hound dog men. At school when the teachers would ask me about whatever puppy I was training when I was a kid, I never failed to freak them out when I'd say things like "Oh she's a great little *****" or something like that.
And now you know why I spelled it "b_tch". Even the CD server is offended!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or