U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 01:20 PM

5,846 posts, read 3,353,084 times

Advertisements

However self-loathing a fundie happens to be, they always see themselves superior to atheists.

Even the most ignorant, bigoted, snake-in-the-grass piece of trailer trash will think he is better than any atheist regardless of intelligence, achievements, education, or socioeconomic class.

I've noticed too that sometimes people with low self-esteem tend to over-compensate by acting arrogant and holier-than-thou ... and religion gives them the perfect vehicle with which to ride the wave of God-inspired narcissism. Without religion, they wouldn't have much to brag about. But because they have God and you don't, well ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 03:27 PM

4,880 posts, read 3,971,953 times
Exactly Shirina
The way I see it, is as an atheist, as a human being, I am part of an evolved species that is still evolving, intellectually, socially and physically
I am a humanist, so I have a vested interest in solving humanities problems through human means
Since I am not a sinner, not bound for hell I have no reason to be saved...from my point of view, there is NOTHING from which to be saved.....no need for a god, messiah or savior. This pretty much negates everything and anything that the fundies have up for sale.

There is one thing to add: I am accountable to my family, my employer, my society, and above all else, myself. Since Fundies claim accountability only to their deity, which exists only in imaginations and fictional books, no wonder that the ignorant trailer trash (which actually may be more descriptive of the person I referenced in the OP) will hold to such delusions.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:10 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,112,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
ignorant trailer trash
We used to live in a trailer and I guess we were ignorant because we were very happy. In fact, my parents said it was the best time of their life and I have very good memories of living there.

Kacey Musgraves - "The Trailer Song" Live at the Grand Ole Opry - YouTube

Old 04-08-2014, 07:04 AM

14,190 posts, read 9,077,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
We used to live in a trailer and I guess we were ignorant because we were very happy. In fact, my parents said it was the best time of their life and I have very good memories of living there.

Kacey Musgraves - "The Trailer Song" Live at the Grand Ole Opry - YouTube
I have lived in everything from trailers to stick built new homes and currently reside in two story modular home, so I don't think anyone is making the point that if you reside in a trailer you're trashy. However, trashy people DO reside in trailers often and it's a phrase obviously intended to evoke, not an imagined stigma of manufactured housing, but a particular bottom-feeding lifestyle of unaware, ignorant piggishness devoid of healthy pride, dignity, or personal standards that have some room for delayed gratification and impulse control.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:37 PM

4,880 posts, read 3,971,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I have lived in everything from trailers to stick built new homes and currently reside in two story modular home, so I don't think anyone is making the point that if you reside in a trailer you're trashy. However, trashy people DO reside in trailers often and it's a phrase obviously intended to evoke, not an imagined stigma of manufactured housing, but a particular bottom-feeding lifestyle of unaware, ignorant piggishness devoid of healthy pride, dignity, or personal standards that have some room for delayed gratification and impulse control.
I think that is how I intended it, and certainly Shirina did too I believe.

The person in discussion here, who lives in Texas has the mentality of a lower class uneducated individual, proud of her high school diploma (from Texas) and her multiple divorces, lower income and limited means of problem solving. Ignorant, perhaps, because she has not sought out higher education or valid meaningful answers, or lazy perhaps, because she h as done nothing to further her quality of life.
I can imagine that when she was young and sexy, he had plenty of guys taking care of her, but now that she is used and middle aged, she has no one to take care of her and no way to take care of herself.

Such people would be preyed upon by religion, but I do not see why. I would prefer the company of someone with at least a graduate degree and regardless of current faith, someone who has explored enough different religions to at least pitch a logical argument of WHY they are involved in their current faith.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:56 PM

7,478 posts, read 5,786,020 times
Bah... if there's a caring God who actually gives a hoot what happens to any of us, he's done a great job hiding that fact, and that includes answers to prayers.

While flipping through TV channels a few mornings ago, I caught the end of CBN, that show run by that fraud Pat Robertson. He was taking letters from viewers and hit two in a row from people suffering terribly pain and illness who wanted to know why God didn't seem to care and why their prayers went unanswered. And what was the good "Christian" preacher's reply? Why, it clearly must be their fault somehow?! Yes, he said, their hearts must be "impure" because otherwise God would have healed them... right... And these extremist clowns wonder why people are leaving the church and why they are seen as hateful creatures who foment malice everywhere they go. Classic Just World Fallacy nonsense - since God "clearly" answers the prayers of the Godly (based on no evidence aside from the Bible), and your prayers have not been answered, than you must be a "sinner!!" It is sickening...

Old 04-10-2014, 09:51 AM

5,846 posts, read 3,353,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Oh please ...

Unless you've been living under a rock or just stepped off the boat for the first time, I think you know what I meant with the term.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:31 AM

741 posts, read 1,066,967 times
Ahhhhh yes. Praying.

Once I was in a car with my mother driving. In another lane was a black pick up truck that went somewhat air borne (no idea why), rolled and pretty much send plastic and glass exploding everywhere. I yelled at my mother to pull over, call the police etc. She said to just "pray for him" so we could continue on to the dry cleaners without interruption.
I called the police anyway. Sadly my mother never stopped. Wow.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:17 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,105,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
Ahhhhh yes. Praying.

Once I was in a car with my mother driving. In another lane was a black pick up truck that went somewhat air borne (no idea why), rolled and pretty much send plastic and glass exploding everywhere. I yelled at my mother to pull over, call the police etc. She said to just "pray for him" so we could continue on to the dry cleaners without interruption.
I called the police anyway. Sadly my mother never stopped. Wow.
Priorities, man, priorities.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:24 PM

734 posts, read 1,468,270 times
It's severe weather season again! Time to start praying to God for the victims of this destruction. You know...the destruction caused by the guy they call God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or