Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 05:57 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times

Advertisements

Ah, the semantics! This is why I prefer to say what is meant rather than use a term and let people assume that it means this or that. This is how the trick of equivocation works - by misleading people by using ambiguous wording.

Now, I would think of myself as 'realist' since what can be verified as real is what I base my reasoning on, not on speculations.

However as we see here, 'Realism' can also be applied to the belief that morality has an origin and basis and intrinsic reality apart from human conventions. And that we would certainly be anti.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 06:18 AM

872 posts, read 1,384,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
That may be your personal definitions but I do not see anyone else using them.

It is not that I believe they do not exist. It is that I see no reason to think they do. And that I just define
Moral Realism*[Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy]
Moral Realism (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

If you're not a moral anti-realist, then why get upset over labels that don't apply to you?

Old 07-17-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
Moral Realism*[Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy]
Moral Realism (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

If you're not a moral anti-realist, then why get upset over labels that don't apply to you?
Because, as I explained, if they do not apply to us, a posted claim that it does apply to us cannot be allowed to stand. At the very least the possible confusion should be negated through clarification of the terms and their applicability.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Because, as I explained, if they do not apply to us, a posted claim that it does apply to us cannot be allowed to stand. At the very least the possible confusion should be negated through clarification of the terms and their applicability.
The following is a textbook morally anti-realistic statement: "We atheists have never claimed that morality was anything more than a set of human rules, mutable and not always immediate."

Are you now denying you ever made such a claim?

Old 07-17-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
The following is a textbook morally anti-realistic statement: "We atheists have never claimed that morality was anything more than a set of human rules, mutable and not always immediate."

Are you now denying you ever made such a claim?
please re-read the posts. I did and do say this, and in one sense that is moral anti- realism, though I would not use such a potentially misleading term. In another sense (it has no intrinsic reality of its own apart from human convention - which is what I said in the bit you quoted) it is not moral anti -realism. I am not saying what you said was not so, just that it is a bit open to misinterpretation.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:31 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Faith is not like a muscle that you can develop and strengthen. Faith is something you ask God for and are given. Ask.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
please re-read the posts. I did and do say this, and in one sense that is moral anti- realism, though I would not use such a potentially misleading term.In another sense (it has no intrinsic reality of its own apart from human convention - which is what I said in the bit you quoted) it is not moral anti -realism. I am not saying what you said was not so, just that it is a bit open to misinterpretation.
Obfuscation, equivocation and internal incoherency, all in one comment. That's pretty impressive, even by your standards.

It's also wrong, of course, because the bolded phrase is a morally anti-realistic statement, despite what you claim.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:59 AM

I must be getting better. That was a pretty quick giving up and playing the Joker 'you are talking nonsense'. Usually someone with your impressive ability to Marshall Jargon can give me more of a run for my money.

Chum, people reading my posts, which incidentally explain your obscurities and show how false and irrelevant they are, will see whether I am talking sense or nonsense.

Oh, and red is for the Mods.

Have a VERY nice weekend

Old 07-17-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Faith is not like a muscle that you can develop and strengthen. Faith is something you ask God for and are given. Ask.
You may be right. Mind, though the conversion buy -in happens out of the blue (or so it seems) I have read accounts that suggests that some with a need for 'something more in their lives' will indeed develop their Faith -muscle until finally it Works.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Have a VERY nice weekend
I hope you're also enjoying the lovely weather here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism