U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2014, 03:01 PM

421 posts, read 662,211 times

Advertisements

What is the difference between someone who self-describes as:

"Agnosticism, but not too serious about it"
versus
"Agnosticism, and laughing about it" ?

Those two bolded phrases are some choices of self-descriptors on profiles for a dating site called OK Cupid. What are your thoughts on the meanings of these two in regard to Agnosticism?

Last edited by MerriMAC; 03-30-2014 at 03:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 04:53 PM

14,198 posts, read 9,113,267 times
Beats me. Maybe an attempt to indicate how "hard core" you are about it, although there seems to be a missing category, "Agnosticism, and very serious about it."

Or maybe it's just an attempt to lighten up the subject.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:11 PM

421 posts, read 662,211 times
I figure that "very serious about it" self-description for agnosticism means the person is adamant that there is no way to know.

These three self description phrases are a little clearer with Christianity/Judaism/Islam. For example: a Christian who is "not that serious" might not say grace before every meal or even attend church.

As far as agnosticism, "laughing about it" and "not that serious about it" sound less pushy; like the person won't try to convince others.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:50 PM

25,740 posts, read 25,444,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerriMAC View Post
What is the difference between someone who self-describes as:

"Agnosticism, but not too serious about it"
versus
"Agnosticism, and laughing about it" ?

Those two bolded phrases are some choices of self-descriptors on profiles for a dating site called OK Cupid. What are your thoughts on the meanings of these two in regard to Agnosticism?
That's actually pretty funny! I think from now on I'll say "I'm agnostic, and laughing about it" just to throw people into total confusion. LOL.

It's an actual choice on OKcupid? Maybe they're just trying to be hip and wry and funny. Who knows.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:41 PM

41,284 posts, read 18,638,985 times
When I was scanning the topics page my eyes first read this thread as "Agnostic Vacations" which I thought sounded cool. Was this some cruise with an emphasis on irresolution? We sail aboard the Royal Vacillator but are never able to agree upon a destination, they all seem as valid as any other.

Then a closer examination revealed that it was variations, not vacations.

A bit disappointed here.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:11 PM

25,740 posts, read 25,444,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
When I was scanning the topics page my eyes first read this thread as "Agnostic Vacations" which I thought sounded cool. Was this some cruise with an emphasis on irresolution? We sail aboard the Royal Vacillator but are never able to agree upon a destination, they all seem as valid as any other.

Then a closer examination revealed that it was variations, not vacations.

A bit disappointed here.
AH HA HA HA HA!

I'd like to take an agnostic vacation. Maybe an agnostic cruise? "So where does this cruise go?" "We don't know, but we're open-minded and are just going to enjoy the journey." Sounds adventurous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism