Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 01:51 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't go if you paid me.

It would be against my principles to have anything to do with something like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 03:21 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
I would go for a close relative probably. We are going to a Bat Mitzvah for my niece next month and bringing the grandchildren so they can see what their Jewish relatives believe and how the rituals go.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:03 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
(a) I would go to both the christening and to the party afterward.

Many religious ceremonies are cultural as well. I would have no issue supporting my loved ones in an important celebration such as this.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:10 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Why worry about that? You won't know, and nothing that they do is going to be capable of either pleasing or offending you. Death is death, but funeral ceremonies are for the living. Let them have their way, it will no longer really be a concern of yours by that point.
I agree with you. Funerals are for the living, not the dead. If you care a wit for your friends and loved ones you afford them the chance to say a proper goodbye to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
No.

I wouldn't attend an exorcism or the sacrifice of a chicken, either.

Why? Because it would be a pointless and ridiculous waste of time. It simply doesn't interest me in the least.

It ain't all about you, kid.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:25 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Sure, I'd go. Why not?
It's not like they're going to indoctrinate me. I go to support my family and friends and to share in their joy.
I won't get God cooties.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:36 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
My attendance at a baby's christening is indeed largely about me. It is certainly not about the baby, who would be completely oblivious to my attendance because... it's a baby. [Yes, I read the OP]

And as for the parents, I do not labor under the delusion that I am somehow obligated to support their nonsensical ideas with my presence.

But since you seem to be soft-peddling the notion that it is somehow selfish of me if I don't attend a christening, here's my response - it's self-centered of parents to expect me to be a prop in their hocus-pocus ceremony.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:47 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I agree with you. Funerals are for the living, not the dead. If you care a wit for your friends and loved ones you afford them the chance to say a proper goodbye to you.
For tthe loudest and most vocal complainants about such issues . . . it actually IS all about them.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:27 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I think christenings are a lot of fun. My one cousin's daughter was baptized by a flamboyantly gay Catholic priest who thought it was awesome she was already at the baby talk phase. He spent a good 5 minutes chattering back and forth with her. Another priest held up another relative's twin sons like Simba in The Lion King after they were baptized.
As much as I dislike the idea of indoctrination, I had no problem going to christenings or even participating in some way. But then I read this. I think I would have puked in the baptismal font at the sight.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:08 AM

24 posts, read 27,480 times
I was asked to be a godmother to my best friend's first baby. I said I was in some way flattered to be asked, but as an atheist the religion thing was obviously an issue. She understood & said it was more for the moral guidance/role model relationship. Her family would do the religion bit, I would offer my world view. I faced quite a lot of criticism/confusion from my family about it. My friend refers to me as the ungodlymother, which I rather like!

I have attended numerous christenings & (church) weddings. I don't join in the prayers, I sing with maximum gusto & enjoy the experience as an observer. It's harmless & it makes other people happy.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:03 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambomouse View Post
My friend refers to me as the ungodlymother, which I rather like!
Nice!

-NoCapo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism