U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 10:52 AM

5,846 posts, read 3,363,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambomouse View Post
My friend refers to me as the ungodlymother, which I rather like!
Haha! I would wear that monicker with pride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 10:59 AM

284 posts, read 421,874 times
A friend of mine invited me to her twin's christening (I'm Agnostic). The first twin took everything in stride, and smiled through the entire ordeal. The second twin jumped from the priest's arms and had to be chased down and brought back in order to finish the ceremony. That twin writhed, kicked and screamed through everything. I joked to my friend that we now knew which one was the "evil" twin (something me and my twin never figured out).

I wouldn't have missed that for the world. If only phones had had videos back in the day. So my answer is, yes, I would go because it's her faith and I am all for standing with people when it comes to their faith. I was also her maid of honor at her very religious wedding ceremony.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:18 PM

9,268 posts, read 5,786,763 times
I would go, yes. But I wouldn't partake in any religious parts of the ceremony such as blessings/communion etc.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:36 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,644,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeedPuller View Post
I consider myself a "non-theist" because while I don't believe that gods exist, I'm not militant about it.

I VERY strongly believe that it is wrong to indoctrinate (brainwash) children into religion and so I don't want to participate in any way in that process.

If you believe the same thing about children & religion, how would you handle an invitation to the christening of a relative's baby, and the family get together after?

Would family feeling or obligation outweigh your moral convictions? or vice versa?
NOPE. I agree, it's WRONG to brainwash anyone kids included into believing an ancient fairytale for people who simply need something to follow. Pointless. In the garbage it would go. Why would you go to some event where you get to see a kids head get water poured on it or whatever their gig is?? I can go to the swimming pool for that, AND have fun.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:56 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,114,022 times
For me it would likely depend on mood the day of. After my grandfather's funeral in January of last year, at which I though I was going to have a panic attack, I said that I would never again set foot into a church for any reason, but I suppose I'm open to making a liar of myself should, say, my younger brother retain his Catholicism and father a child at some point

Old 04-28-2014, 08:39 AM

983 posts, read 1,368,131 times
Depending on whether or not there will be free food afterwards.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:53 AM

2,331 posts, read 2,644,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
Depending on whether or not there will be free food afterwards.
I wouldn't care if there was FREE beer and women, I STILL wouldn't go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism