U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-04-2014, 05:51 AM
 
446 posts, read 399,218 times
Reputation: 79

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post
I have contracts I signed at my job regarding compensation, policies, etc. I know I will get paid, and I know I would be fired.

The burden of proof lies with someone who is making a claim, and is not upon anyone else to disprove
Exactly, The contract!
A contract between God and man is God's book. There are a few contracts out there that you can read and see which one is the best that you agree upon, the one that you think is the true one IF you believe there is life after death - it's almost the same as you review a job contract and sign it because you think you have a need of money to pay bills. The difference is, your boss has given you nothing before you signed the contract while God has given you life before you agree or disagree to submit yourself to his will. And he will take away your life whether you agree or disagree.

In both cases, the choice is yours. You feel the need of money so you agree to submit yourself to your boss upon the terms of contract - You feel the need of God in your life, you need to submit to God upon the terms mentioned in the contract. In both cases, neither God nor the boss puts a gun to your head to sign the contract.

Now, if you think you don't have to die, or there is no judgement after death then you don't need to make an agreement with God upon his word. You just die, and in your belief, nothing will happen next. It's as simple as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-04-2014, 05:03 PM
 
Location: Detroit
983 posts, read 1,428,357 times
Reputation: 1065
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll0OoO0ll View Post
You feel the need of God in your life, you need to submit to God upon the terms mentioned in the contract. In both cases, neither God nor the boss puts a gun to your head to sign the contract.
No, I don't actually. At all. This "God" you describe can stay the hell away from my life. I feel no need to "submit" to him or worship him. Him and his followers have already done enough damage in my life and everybody else's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2014, 06:44 PM
 
446 posts, read 399,218 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post
No, I don't actually. At all. This "God" you describe can stay the hell away from my life. I feel no need to "submit" to him or worship him. Him and his followers have already done enough damage in my life and everybody else's.
Fair enough.
You may say about this yourself but I don't think its wise to represent "everybody else".
There are many religiously inclined people who have done a lot of positive things for humanity and there are many godless people who have done a lot of hurt to themselves and the society they live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2014, 04:32 AM
 
7,802 posts, read 5,278,810 times
Reputation: 2973
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll0OoO0ll View Post
There are many religiously inclined people who have done a lot of positive things for humanity and there are many godless people who have done a lot of hurt to themselves and the society they live in.
And the exact opposite of BOTH of your statements is true too. So what is your point? Do you have one? Do you even know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2014, 05:42 AM
 
Location: Greenbelt, MD
8,957 posts, read 6,495,263 times
Reputation: 44306
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll0OoO0ll View Post
Fair enough.
You may say about this yourself but I don't think its wise to represent "everybody else".
There are many religiously inclined people who have done a lot of positive things for humanity and there are many godless people who have done a lot of hurt to themselves and the society they live in.
Examples please. Go ahead, who are these "many godless people?"
I'm sure since you posted this piece of garbage you can give details. Or are you one of many Christians who lie?

Last edited by John13; 06-05-2014 at 06:12 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2014, 05:47 AM
 
Location: Downtown Raleigh
1,646 posts, read 3,007,120 times
Reputation: 2103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll0OoO0ll View Post
You also have no evidence that you will get paid but you still work for your boss because you have faith in getting paid for your work.
You also have no evidence that you will get fired but you still avoid not being absent from your work on continuous basis and without letting anyone know.
In fact, I do have evidence. I have worked for 30 years, and I have gotten paid for 30 years. I have seen people who miss work get fired. The very people who hired me have written policy about both, and I have seen those individuals and policies. Have you seen anything happen to anyone after death? Have you met the party on the other end of your "contract"? How do you know you aren't being scammed by middle men and that there is actually a party at the other end?

I do not understand how you cannot see that this is actual evidence versus something one believes without any evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2014, 12:40 PM
 
16,088 posts, read 17,884,603 times
Reputation: 15889
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll0OoO0ll View Post
Fair enough.
You may say about this yourself but I don't think its wise to represent "everybody else".
There are many religiously inclined people who have done a lot of positive things for humanity and there are many godless people who have done a lot of hurt to themselves and the society they live in.
There are many religious people who have done a lot of hurt to themselves and the society they live in and many godless people who have done many positive things for humanity.

Studies say atheists, believers both do good, but for different reasons | OnFaith

In Dallas, Austin, Houston and San AntonioTX, there is a group of atheists who help the homeless

Atheists Helping the Homeless-Austin-Houston-San Antonio - Atheist Nexus
DFW Atheists Helping the Homeless | DFW AHH

Are Religious People Really More Generous Than Atheists? A New Study Puts That Myth to Rest

Note that religious groups often rebuff atheist groups who wish to contribute to the efforts.
In season of giving, atheist groups' charity rebuffed | Religion News Service

Quote:
A group of Kansas City, Mo., nonbelievers was told their help was not needed after they volunteered to help a local Christian group distribute Thanksgiving meals.
A $3,000 donation to a Morton Grove, Ill., park, collected by a local atheist group, was returned. Park officials said they did not wish to “become embroiled in a First Amendment dispute.”
A group of Spartanburg, S.C., atheists was denied the opportunity to help at a Christian-run soup kitchen. The soup kitchen’s executive director told local press she would resign before accepting the atheists’ help and asked, “Why are they targeting us?”

And in what is perhaps the biggest rejection, the American Cancer Society, in 2011, turned away $250,000 from the Stiefel Freethought Foundation, a nonprofit dedicated to humanist causes. Though the society never cited atheism as the reason, many atheists drew that conclusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2014, 07:34 PM
 
446 posts, read 399,218 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Examples please. Go ahead, who are these "many godless people?"
I'm sure since you posted this piece of garbage you can give details. Or are you one of many Christians who lie?
Visit a local jail and you will find plenty of them in lock ups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2014, 07:38 PM
 
446 posts, read 399,218 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
In fact, I do have evidence. I have worked for 30 years, and I have gotten paid for 30 years. I have seen people who miss work get fired. The very people who hired me have written policy about both, and I have seen those individuals and policies. Have you seen anything happen to anyone after death? Have you met the party on the other end of your "contract"? How do you know you aren't being scammed by middle men and that there is actually a party at the other end?

I do not understand how you cannot see that this is actual evidence versus something one believes without any evidence.
Have you EVER seen your pay check before the pay day? NO!
You see it ONLY when the TIME comes but you have FAITH that you WILL see your pay check when the time comes.

Same goes with God. Have I seen God? NO! But I will see God AFTER I die, and that's my faith. The TIME comes when I leave this world and meet God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2014, 07:43 PM
 
446 posts, read 399,218 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
There are many religious people who have done a lot of hurt to themselves and the society they live in and many godless people who have done many positive things for humanity.

Studies say atheists, believers both do good, but for different reasons | OnFaith

In Dallas, Austin, Houston and San AntonioTX, there is a group of atheists who help the homeless

Atheists Helping the Homeless-Austin-Houston-San Antonio - Atheist Nexus
DFW Atheists Helping the Homeless | DFW AHH

Are Religious People Really More Generous Than Atheists? A New Study Puts That Myth to Rest

Note that religious groups often rebuff atheist groups who wish to contribute to the efforts.
In season of giving, atheist groups' charity rebuffed | Religion News Service
I don't have any disagreement with what you said, but what's the point here? We see that there good and bad people in BOTH groups of religiously inclined and godless people. So why blame RELIGION when a religiously inclined person does something wrong, and ignore religion when a religiously inclined person does something good?

And when a godless person does something right, appreciate that he did it because he is not religious and when a godless person does something wrong, don't ponder that perhaps he did the wrong act because he is missing God in his life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top