U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 09:13 AM

5,945 posts, read 4,871,297 times

Advertisements

Short answer: control/conformity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 09:49 AM

2,331 posts, read 2,639,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Control.
Agreed. Religion is there to control others from thinking for themselves.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:10 PM

40,056 posts, read 26,735,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I think the main goal of religion is to sooth our survival instinct by allowing us to believe we can live forever.
A second goal is to give hope in situations where it's not logical to think things will turn out well.
So I think the goals of religion are not really practical so much as psychological. It is meant to ease anxiety, although as a form of informal social control it can also create a lot of anxiety.
I would agree that as a human creation . . . religion is a response to psychological and social needs of sentient beings. But religion is just a societal response to belief in God that seems to be targeted toward those who do not truly have a belief in God . . . but want to identify with one. When one truly believes in God . . . there is no need for such institutional responses. The effect is entirely internal and all encompassing. It affects all our external responses to life and reality . . . besides removing all fear of physical death.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:29 PM

16,264 posts, read 7,652,430 times
I'd say it is to foster a sense of community. Unfortunately that often entails control and conformity, but those are not the "goal."

Where atheism can foster the same ideal (secular humanism) it can really make a difference.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:29 PM

181 posts, read 176,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac0900 View Post
I want to know your opinions on what do you think the main goal of religion is? Connection with gods, political control, social control. What do you think it is?
Generally, the purpose of a religion is to lead people to become spiritually well, or at least provide the means to become spiritually well.

The spiritually well person seeks harmony and balance by openly exploring the depth of human purpose, meaning, and connection through dialogue and self-reflection. The spiritually well person asks himself, "Who am I? What is my purpose in life, in this world? What is the meaning of [my] life? How should I connect with others through dialogue and mutual understanding? What have I done up to this point that makes up the person I am today? Where am I going?"

Old 04-21-2014, 06:59 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,730,393 times
I honest think if not for religious fanatics nor churches, we wouldn't hear about this:
List of people burned as heretics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Inquisition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Witch huntings, people killed by burning (worst way to kill someone), persecusions, inquisitions, imprisonment for life, etc... All of that done by whom, for no good reason? Overly, religious folks and the church.

Interesting how extreme religiosity can lead to human casualties and unfair deaths.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:23 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,171,917 times
People say "Control" like it's a bad thing.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:25 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,730,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
People say "Control" like it's a bad thing.
It is a bad thing if it's done as a way to force others into your belief and shame them if they chose not to follow a believer's path, as if that were the only way to live.

Those inquisitions and killings from centuries ago were horrible methods of control. Hence, control can be a bad thing too.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:26 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,673,410 times
Main purpose = tool for population control, greed and discrimination

Old 05-14-2014, 02:13 PM

1,765 posts, read 3,860,928 times
Control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or