Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 12:01 PM

14,681 posts, read 14,645,402 times

Advertisements

On a personal level, it usually provides comfort and direction for those who have none, which is why most religious conversions (those not born into it) occur when someone is at a low point in life (prison, drug abuse, divorce, etc). On an organizational level, it can vary from those utilizing it as a form of control (usually political) and economic benefit, to those who are genuine believers performing charity.
There really is no one clear answer to the question, if one looks at it objectively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 12:28 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
I think the main goal of religion is to give people something to chew on during the brief time that they're alive here on earth.

Like a lot of other things.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:25 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,592,373 times
Cohesion and spirituality

Old 04-13-2014, 09:56 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,109 times
The goal I believe was to give societies a sense of moral behavior and social structure. By and large it worked for a while, until secular humanism came along...and then people got lazy again and stopped reading books on humanities and philosophy so religion made a huge comeback.

then terrorism came along and showed everybody just how mental religion can make people and atheism started to REALLY hit it big...

My opinion.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:58 AM

1,268 posts, read 798,315 times
I feel the dark ages proved the goal of the religious elite is control. For most believers, it is a need for a purpose. It caters to intrinsic exceptionalism: we are so special and above all other creatures that a god created us and defined a way for us to live forever. It makes some feel special, like their lives have a more profound meaning above the natural order. Belief is not so bad, but when it is mixed with "religion", it becomes dangerous.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:53 PM

12,256 posts, read 2,966,052 times
To control people and to fleece them, to f*** them literally if possible.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:55 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,166,491 times
Power and control. It's like you were creating a new drug and feed it to people that are easier to persuade. Once they try the drug and get addicted to it, that becomes their own reality.

Imagine taking hallucinogenic drugs for years. You'll start hearing and believing in what you want to. You want to believe you saw a holy spirit stopping at your door giving you presents, a virgin woman giving birth out of nowhere or that some magical unseen being is watching over you, ok that's on you now.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:35 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
I think that on its most fundamental level, people look to religion for explanations for things which simply cannot be explained. Most people are uncomfortable living in a world in which many important questions have no answers, and need the assurance that religion seems to offer them.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:44 AM

898 posts, read 1,218,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
On a personal level, it usually provides comfort and direction for those who have none, which is why most religious conversions (those not born into it) occur when someone is at a low point in life (prison, drug abuse, divorce, etc). On an organizational level, it can vary from those utilizing it as a form of control (usually political) and economic benefit, to those who are genuine believers performing charity.
There really is no one clear answer to the question, if one looks at it objectively.
i *left* religion when i hit a low point in my life. it woke me up to the realities of, well, life and that it's every man for himself.

anyway, religion is a great opiate and i believe it does work very well if you want to use it. i am happy accepting that i am no different than a cockroach i killed last year or the KFC chicken i ate two days ago. i am here today, gone tomorrow, in the words of duran duran from ordinary world which is where we are living - an ordinary world. we are *not* special. not our species, nor our planet. but religion allows us to believe that.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:35 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,624 times
I think the main goal of religion is to sooth our survival instinct by allowing us to believe we can live forever.
A second goal is to give hope in situations where it's not logical to think things will turn out well.

So I think the goals of religion are not really practical so much as psychological. It is meant to ease anxiety, although as a form of informal social control it can also create a lot of anxiety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism