U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 06:23 AM

5,846 posts, read 3,362,978 times

Advertisements

Holy Smoke

This Ozzy great was my consummate "anti-religion, I'm now an atheist!" freedom song. When I finally realized what I was and felt pressured by the fundamentalist believers all around me, this is the song I played. Loudly, I might add. Lyrics are below the video.

Rock N Roll Rebel

They couldn't see what I thought would be so obvious
They hide behind the laws they make for all of us
The ministry of truth, that deals with pretense
The ministry of peace, that sits on defense
I'm washing my hands of what they're trying to do
It's for me, It's for me, It's for you, It's for you

I'm just a rock n' roll rebel
I'll tell you no lies
They say I worship the devil
They must be stupid or blind

They live a life of fear and insecurity
And all you do is pay for their prosperity
The ministry of fear, that won't let you live
The ministry of grace, that doesn't forgive
Do what you will to try and make me conform
I'll make you wish that you had never been born

'Cause I'm a rock n' roll rebel
I'll do what I please
Yes I'm a rock n' roll rebel
And I'm as free as the breeze

They'll try playin' with your hearts
They know it rules your head
If they could read between the lines
You know they'd see the real face

God only knows why they couldn't see the obvious
Is it because they manifest the incubus?
The ministry of war, that got caught in the draft
The ministry of joy, that still hasn't laughed
When it's boiled down and the day's at an end
I'll give you no bulls--t and I'll never pretend

And here's another one that rocks out against televangelists - especially a certain "Jimmy." You might remember who Ozzy is talking about.

Miracle Man

I'm looking for a miracle man that tells me no lies, I'm
Looking for a miracle man who's not in disguise

I don't know where he'll come from and I don't know where
He's been, but it's not our Jimmy sinner because he's so obscene.

Miracle man got busted, miracle man got busted

Today i saw a miracle man, on tv cryin', such a
Hypocritical man, born again, dying.

He don't know where he's goin' but we know where he's been
It was our little Jimmy sinner on the screen.

A devil with a crucifix, brimstone and fire
He needs another carnal fix
To take him higher and higher

Now Jimmy he got busted with his pants down, repent ye
Wretched sinners, self righteous clown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 09:31 AM

2,331 posts, read 2,643,851 times
Ozzy is a good choice!

Old 04-11-2014, 11:58 AM

15,541 posts, read 17,778,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Speakng of instrumentals, can I get to hear an a-theistic one????? Curious as to how a composer would melodically conceive in melody only a no-god universe. Question is would we get any musical 'hits' out of that construction?????
Instrumentals are, as heard by the listener regardless of the composers intention, implicitly athiestic. As are any vocal pieces of music that do not reference or imply a deity.

Most of the music in this thread I would call anti-religious, not atheistic. Of course, for many atheists, their only way to regard the world is through an adversative relationship to religion.

With that in mind, my favorite anti-religion song in my youth was Dear God by XTC. Not the best song on the album, though.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:54 PM

13,695 posts, read 13,632,565 times
I believe Frank Turner has a lot of songs about being an atheist.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:08 PM

5,846 posts, read 3,362,978 times
As far as instrumentals are concerned, I would go with composers like Stellardrone and Carbon Based Life Forms. They put out a lot of music that brings to mind the majesty of the universe without sounding religious - no angelic choirs, no organs, that sort of thing.

Here, have a listen to 'Abiogenesis' by Carbon Based Life Forms. The little girl you'll hear in the background is reciting the Drake Equation that attempts to calculate the number of worlds with advanced intelligent life.

Abiogenesis

Old 04-12-2014, 07:29 AM

4,253 posts, read 5,447,584 times

Duran Duran - None Of The Above - YouTube

Old 04-13-2014, 10:30 AM

12,540 posts, read 12,548,495 times

Old 04-13-2014, 10:41 AM

12,540 posts, read 12,548,495 times

Old 04-13-2014, 11:10 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,711,517 times
Quote:
Instrumentals are, as heard by the listener regardless of the composers intention, implicitly athiestic
hmmm..I'd be curious if there has been any psychoacoustical experiments where listeners are exposed to instrumental music and then asked to describe if the music suggest the idea of 'God' or 'no-Gods'. I'd think that listeners may have an internal conception of how the two approaches to belief sound through notes. Lots of variables here of course!

Old 04-13-2014, 02:15 PM

15,541 posts, read 17,778,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
hmmm..I'd be curious if there has been any psychoacoustical experiments where listeners are exposed to instrumental music and then asked to describe if the music suggest the idea of 'God' or 'no-Gods'. I'd think that listeners may have an internal conception of how the two approaches to belief sound through notes. Lots of variables here of course!
The bias on part of the subjects would be so great. I mean, Christians look at burnt toast and see Jesus. I listen to sacred music all the time, (Baroque and Classical compositions, not Christian rock :-), but don't get 'God' out of it.

J.S. Bach composed a lot of sacred music, but I wonder how 'inspired' he was when he created it. To me his music is incredibly creative and ear pleasing, but strikes me as passionless in the religious or spiritual sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism