U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 05:21 PM

64 posts, read 53,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
In light of the astonishing series of accidents and coincidences required for a planet capable of sustaining life to come into being, followed by the astonishing series of accidents and coincidences required to produce human beings, followed by the astonishing series of accidents and coincidences required to produce me in particular, it does not seem possible that I am part of any particular plan. If I am, it is not a plan which the planners chose to make apparent to me.

Which means that if your life is to have a purpose, you must invent it yourself, that is if you feel the need to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
So you really don't want to talk about our purposes in life, you want to talk about your idea of what they should be... No thanks.

I would be interested in have a conversation about the first, but not so much the second...
-NoCapo
No, I have no idea what your purpose is. That is the reason that you should seek it deep within yourself - earnestly and patiently. Only you know what your purpose is. Yet, it would not be what you imagine it to be. I sense, however, that you may be an earnest seeker of truth and purpose.

What is deep and meaningful cannot be considered at the level of your surface mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 05:32 PM

3,404 posts, read 2,249,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResistTheETIntervention View Post
No, I have no idea what your purpose is.
Quote:
Yet, it would not be what you imagine it to be.
Do you not see the contradiction here? You don't know what we consider out purpose to be, and yet you are certain it is not that...

To answer the question though, right now I tend to think my purpose is to love and be loved, to do my best to stick to my principles, and fill my life with experiences and people that bring me joy. That's kind of sums it up...

My purpose is whatever I want ii to be and these are the things I choose.

-NoCapo

Old 04-10-2014, 05:42 PM

5,846 posts, read 3,354,843 times
Me? I don't really have a purpose. I just float along on the currents of existence. What comes ... comes. What doesn't ... doesn't. When life ceases presenting opportunities, we tend to live from one heartbeat to the next.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:30 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,274,031 times
I have no purpose.

I have desires. I have goals. I have intents. I have personal standards of behavior.

But a purpose? Regardless of my desires and goals and intents and standards, I have no more purpose than does a squirrel or a stone or a molecule of water.

I simply am. And that's just fine.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:13 AM

1,268 posts, read 622,899 times
I assume my purpose is aligned with most of the living creatures on Earth--survive.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:23 AM

2,441 posts, read 1,938,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I have got to crack that nightime level on Plants and Zombies before I can turn in the dinner pail.
If you know any eight year olds, they can probably help you. I myself just need to make it until the last episode of mad men before I can happily shuffle off this mortal coil.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:59 PM

7,945 posts, read 4,739,597 times
It seems the purpose of many on this thread was to deny your idea that "no one else" knows their "actual, true purpose." Why not discuss this in the philosophy section if it has nothing to do with Atheism? It seems evident that that was my purpose, to steer you into the right subforum. Unless your "aliens and purpose" thread has something specific to do with atheism or agnosticism, it will need to be moved. Order is one of the purposes of these forums.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:11 PM

35,224 posts, read 19,282,093 times
Default What is Your Purpose?

Quote:
What can you do in the world facing the Great Waves of change and the covert invasion by intelligent races from outer space? What must you do? What can you do to prepare?

We must all consider them deeply, for we, all of human beings, individually and collectively, have the responsibilities in resolving all our global issues. I urge you to pose these questions and earnestly seek the answers from your deeper knowing mind, Knowledge, as opposed to your surface thinking mind, your intellect.

What is Knowledge? It is not a body of information, set of ideas, or system of beliefs. It is not the intellect that you have created since your birth. It is not your thinking mind. It is your deeper mind that is the source of your integrity, wisdom, and true courage. It is the part of you that cannot be corrupted, altered, or manipulated.

You may have perhaps had an experience of inexplicable knowing Ė something you couldnít possibly know from your surface mind but did. You may have had a profound intuition or great insight that was beyond your intellect. Perhaps you know of someone who has had such experiences. You may have jumped into a dangerous situation to save another person without thinking twice, when you wouldnít consider such actions by the logic of your surface mind. You were perhaps moved to take selfless actions to contribute for the good of humanity when you would clearly benefit from self-serving goals.

Those are some of the outward manifestations of Knowledge, your deeper mind.

It is this deeper part of you that I speak to.

What is your purpose?

Why do you torment yourself with meaningless questions?

Life is to be lived. Yearning for glib answers to self-generated puzzles leads to discontent. Outside, a mockingbird sings in the oak tree. Neither the bird nor the tree question their lives.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:13 PM

13,677 posts, read 13,587,189 times
My purpose? When faced with a choice, make the one that does the least harm or the greatest good. Love the people in my life who are important to me with all my heart and treat the rest of humanity with the same respect and kindness I hope to receive. And overall just add to the positive side of the balance sheet rather than the negative side.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:19 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,703,881 times
You know as this 'kid' gets older I really like to see kids at 'work' making 'things' or doing 'things'. That's like 'practice' for what comes later when they go out into the world and do their 'thing' and contribute to society. Problem is for some they go off on a tangent and get disconnected from their 'purpose'. For me, I prefer the word 'vocation', kind of bringing in the concept of roles we do play in our lives. We play not one but many. Sure helps to keep in touch with your 'role' since I'd think that surely gives 'purpose.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or