U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 10:21 AM

12,540 posts, read 12,529,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
  • When a believer (regardless of religion) whines about being persecuted - especially when they want the right to do something immoral and then cry when they can't, pulling out the "right to practice religion" and "I'm being persecuted" cards.

Ugh, YES! The persecution card! Makes me want to rap their knuckles with a whole deck of them.

Which brings me to another trial: When physicians and pharmacists balk at providing certain elements of health care (contraception, emergency contraception, abortion). If you don't want to provide the FULL range of health care services, don't work in the public or commercial sector!

Which then brings me to these absolutely idiotic and oppressive lawsuits initiated by the likes of Hobby Lobby over the contraceptive clause in the ACA. Hey, boss man, your employees' sex lives and medical needs are none of your business!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 04:58 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,721,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
What tests my tolerance is when my Dad leaves exorcisms on my voice mail. Hear one here:

Music and Podcast

I post them because he's a raging, abusive christian.
OMG!!!!!!!

Did you feel better after hearing that?

Oh you poor thing. Change your number hun x

He's clearly unbalanced as are most people who believe a spare rib got turned into a woman.

My brother is (was) like that too. Not exorcisms but judgement, hysteria, bible passages. God botherers we call em. They're all cray.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:00 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,721,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Wow.....really? It's hard for me to envision a real life situation where religion wasn't front and center, lucky you. I need to move.
Come to Australia.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:00 PM

31,385 posts, read 32,099,608 times
Right-wing Xtians on C-D! And I have the infractions to prove it.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:32 PM

638 posts, read 478,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I try to be tolerant. Really, I do. For the most part, I feel that if people believe in a deity or belong to a religion, as long as they aren't trying to turn their beliefs into the law of the land for the rest of us, that's their business.

But when I see things that testify to the great and vast capacity of certain among humanity to throw all reason, logic, and science to the wind, I will admit, here among the comfort and safety of fellow atheists, that I have to gnash my teeth.

Faithful flocking to Indiana church to view ‘miracle’ | WGN-TV

It both frustrates and frightens me that some people in this day and age are so willing to pronounce something that is absolutely ordinary and readily explained to be the act of a deity. I mean, come on, now. Condensation will leave a streak on your toilet bowl if you don't clean your bathroom regularly.

Granted, I do not spend a lot of time pondering this, but when I see it on the news, it trips my wire. It gets me to thinking about people like this in a voting booth, deciding what will be taught in science classrooms, advocating for legislation based on their superstitions, and so on.

What, if anything, tests your tolerance as an atheist?
The Christian and Muslim war on science.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:41 AM

7,802 posts, read 5,281,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
What, if anything, tests your tolerance as an atheist?
I only take issue with the "faith"ful when their unsubstantiated nonsense ideas are injected into our halls of power, education, ethics or science. Their fanciful notions have no place there and should be resisted.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:55 AM

6,862 posts, read 3,787,690 times
My top 4 things that make me simultaneously want to laugh, cry and smack my head:

1. Claiming there is no evidence for evolution.....Huh?? WHAT PLANET ARE YOU LIVING ON?????

2. Believing the earth and / or universe is only 6000 or so years old.. er HELLLLOOOOO???????

3. That atheists can have no ethics / moral code......aha ha ha ha. Take a look at yourself.

4. Bigotry regarding homosexuality and sexism.

1 and 2 are pretty much way up there to the point I can rarely even argue about them any more. They are so far beyond stupidity and ignorance it's ridiculous. I wouldn't worry about it so much if it wasn't so widespread. It's like half a nation of people are walking around blindfolded. Open your eyes people.. *sigh* ..see you've got me going again now..

There are a bunch of other things I can think or that are pretty minor and make me laugh more than anything.
I don't have a problem with belief in god at all.
It's the widespread ignorance I'm intolerant of.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:32 AM

278 posts, read 255,493 times
Like others here have mentioned, it's the attack on science and reasoning that gets me irritated. Science is easily the best method we have for inquiry into the natural world. Religion offers pretty much nothing in the way of advancement. Can you quickly name off the most recent and important discovery made by the church?!?
In my view, organized religion is made up mostly of weak-minded people, with a herd-like mentality, and a few con men seeking to make a living off of these people.
When it comes to the advancement of society and the scope of human freedom, religion has been absolutely toxic for mankind. This is just plain unacceptable in this, the age of information exchange.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:11 PM

638 posts, read 478,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDragon View Post
Like others here have mentioned, it's the attack on science and reasoning that gets me irritated. Science is easily the best method we have for inquiry into the natural world. Religion offers pretty much nothing in the way of advancement. Can you quickly name off the most recent and important discovery made by the church?!?
In my view, organized religion is made up mostly of weak-minded people, with a herd-like mentality, and a few con men seeking to make a living off of these people.
When it comes to the advancement of society and the scope of human freedom, religion has been absolutely toxic for mankind. This is just plain unacceptable in this, the age of information exchange.
Great post.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:20 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,413,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
What tests my tolerance is when my Dad leaves exorcisms on my voice mail. Hear one here:

Music and Podcast

I post them because he's a raging, abusive christian.
I listened, laughed, cried for you! Holy crap, Batman! I'm sorry for your situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism