Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 04:52 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,917,948 times

Advertisements

Top things that bother me are:

Religious people who try to make "their" religion the law of the land.
Religious people who try to make sure "their" religion is taught in public schools.
People who say "I will pray for you" even when I ask them not to, and when they still insist. ARGHHH!
People who say "Say a prayer for 'x'" right after I tell them I'm not religious. One woman even screamed at me,
"Well, ANYONE can PRAY!!!" Um. Nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 07:40 PM

500 posts, read 316,742 times
I tend to lose it when the gawd believers, upon discovering that I am an atheist, tell me that I'm bound to spend eternity in HELL, or the LAKE of FIRE!

These words are always shouted...I guess the guy in the sky frowns on whisperers of eternal blistering threats. But the worst part is fanatical look in their eyes; all glittering and gleaming in fevered anticipation of my imagined agony...forever and ever, amen.

I guess we haven't evolved too far from those who revelled in the inquisitions.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:13 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,917,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBentley View Post
I tend to lose it when the gawd believers, upon discovering that I am an atheist, tell me that I'm bound to spend eternity in HELL, or the LAKE of FIRE!

These words are always shouted...I guess the guy in the sky frowns on whisperers of eternal blistering threats. But the worst part is fanatical look in their eyes; all glittering and gleaming in fevered anticipation of my imagined agony...forever and ever, amen.

I guess we haven't evolved too far from those who revelled in the inquisitions.

Maddening, isn't it??

I heard a comedian on the Comedy Show or the like say that he had the perfect response in that situation: Just say, "Forgive me." lol!

Old 04-15-2014, 12:15 PM

5,875 posts, read 3,752,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Come to Australia.
Ha I would LOVE to come to Australia!! Thanks for the invite!

Old 04-15-2014, 02:34 PM

993 posts, read 1,759,267 times
Oh where to start.

1. If religious people use their religion to justify treating other humans like ****

2. The "I don't judge, but I'm better than you" mentality

3. Saying, "I'll pray for you," in a very condescending way

4. The avoidance of change

5. The denial of science.

6. The how some act like they are being persecuted when really they just aren't being allowed to force their religion onto others. (Here's an awesome article about this

7. How some act like you need religion to be a good person or have morals.

8. People trying to make their religion the law of the land.

9. The shame in being different

--

I could probably go on and on. All of these get me pretty bad. I have tried to be very tolerant of religious people. If believing in a higher power helps someone get through a bad day or helps them become a better person, that is great. However, I have seen too much of the bad side of religion. I truly feel like religion brainwashes people. It really shows how deep down religion can grab when my own parents and family think that there is something wrong with me just because of something that the Bible says

Old 04-17-2014, 06:05 AM

50,079 posts, read 20,498,587 times
I remember that Cliff Walker ('Positive Atheism') at whose sandalled feet I sat and absorbed his wisdom in the course of becoming a full metal jacket militant atheist, likened the atheist 'coming out' to the gay movement.

One of the greatest things about Internet atheism is that those who have lost their Faith can realize that there is not only nothing wrong in that but in fact they are better people than those who say there is something wrong about it.

A great deal of the religion debate is about self -justification and feelings of self -worth.

Another Axiom. When a theist tells you what God does, thinks or wants, they are are creating God in their own image.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:17 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,099,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
What tests my tolerance is when my Dad leaves exorcisms on my voice mail. Hear one here:

Music and Podcast

I post them because he's a raging, abusive christian.
It is unlisted number time, really. I mean for mean it's a one-shot listen, and it is funny. But if that were some relative zeroing in on me with this stuff over and over again, no way.

You might try complaining to the phone company that it is an obscene and threatening call.

I am so grateful to have moved to a country where people don't push their religion into your face, and believers and non-believers seem to be quite happy with it that way. The J.W.'s stop by once in awhile, but they are so old and so few that even I may outlive them.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:43 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,482,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
What tests my tolerance is when my Dad leaves exorcisms on my voice mail. Hear one here:

Music and Podcast

I post them because he's a raging, abusive christian.
I'm sure that must be plenty painful for you to have to go through, but I have to admit I found it really entertaining. If you feel comfortable with it and you have the opportunity, I would love it if you posted more of the same.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:47 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,550,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Hehe ... for some reason that struck me as funny, especially given the context. I think my fork will continue its journey, too.
I as well will be joining the "fork will continue on it's journey" battle! That sums it up pretty well for me!

Old 04-18-2014, 10:03 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,550,934 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJqw-idOwUc

This pretty much sums it up for me! Enjoy this compilation of comics explaining some of my inner most thoughts! Might as well just laugh about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism