U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 08:55 PM

3,552 posts, read 4,370,123 times

Advertisements

Often, other atheists. While I technically am one I rarely, if ever, will use that term.

I don't respect any person of any belief or non-belief that can't respect the views of others. I can understand having biased attitudes of extremists of any belief, but im referring to the ever so common "throw it in your face" type of atheists. Constantly starting arguments and trying to disprove others.

Let's be practical for a second, who has EVER convinced someone to change anothers beliefs via the internet? Not many.

I just so often see people being un respectful of others views when it's absolutely not necessary... that is one of my biggest pet peeves regarding others.

My girlfriend is Christian, I am not. Theres never been the slightest issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 12:18 PM

5,846 posts, read 3,359,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Let's be practical for a second, who has EVER convinced someone to change anothers beliefs via the internet? Not many.
It happens more often than you might think. Sure, the person you're trying to convince will rarely admit it during the debate ... but sometimes those seeds of doubt are planted and they take root only to come into full bloom later on. Of course, we, the internet poster, won't ever know how much influence we may have had, but I don't believe anyone really walks away from these arguments completely unscathed by the opposing belief.

Well - except, perhaps, in extreme circumstances.

There are also untold numbers of lurkers who read these threads but never post, and some of them could be sitting on the fence regarding their belief in gods. Why should we allow the believers to have all of the say?

Besides, you won't even use the term "atheist" even though you admit you are one - which says to me that you're so over-sensitive to believers that you don't even want to offend them by admitting what you are.

As for me, religion has had carte blanche respect for thousands of years and often it has been undeserving. The age of coddling religion is over as far as I'm concerned.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:36 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,285,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Often, other atheists. While I technically am one I rarely, if ever, will use that term.

I don't respect any person of any belief or non-belief that can't respect the views of others. I can understand having biased attitudes of extremists of any belief, but im referring to the ever so common "throw it in your face" type of atheists. Constantly starting arguments and trying to disprove others.

I just so often see people being un respectful of others views when it's absolutely not necessary... that is one of my biggest pet peeves regarding others.

My girlfriend is Christian, I am not. Theres never been the slightest issue.
I can respect the view of others. Sometimes, I respect even those views which differ from my own.

But that does not mean I do respect any and all views just because they happen to be religious views.

There is this pervasive notion that religion is somehow worthy of respect by its very nature. And I think that is nothing less than complete garbage. Some views, in my opinion, are wrong and harmful. I refuse to excuse those views in those cases that they happen to be borne of some religion.

I respect the right of a given person to believe all manner of idiocy. But I most certainly do not extend that respect to the actual beliefs themselves.

And by the way, I'm an atheist. I am what I am, and there is a word in the English language that describes what I am. So I use it.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:43 PM

14,197 posts, read 9,092,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
It happens more often than you might think. Sure, the person you're trying to convince will rarely admit it during the debate ... but sometimes those seeds of doubt are planted and they take root only to come into full bloom later on. Of course, we, the internet poster, won't ever know how much influence we may have had, but I don't believe anyone really walks away from these arguments completely unscathed by the opposing belief.

Well - except, perhaps, in extreme circumstances.

There are also untold numbers of lurkers who read these threads but never post, and some of them could be sitting on the fence regarding their belief in gods. Why should we allow the believers to have all of the say?

Besides, you won't even use the term "atheist" even though you admit you are one - which says to me that you're so over-sensitive to believers that you don't even want to offend them by admitting what you are.

As for me, religion has had carte blanche respect for thousands of years and often it has been undeserving. The age of coddling religion is over as far as I'm concerned.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I used to be more averse to offending the feelings of believers myself, but the "unearned respect" argument won me over. That, and my becoming convinced that I was allowing myself to be cowed into silence. Atheism no longer universally elicits shocked gasps of horror at the very thought of it, and I think we should push the envelope to where it is just accepted as another way of being and atheists are not seen as some caricature of someone in the throes of hedonistic abandon and immoral indulgence. I think religion's unwarranted claim to be the fount of all beneficence and rectitude needs to be exposed for the utter BS that it is.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:46 PM

3,881 posts, read 7,312,204 times
I just hate it when people assume that I must be religious.

Like when people ask me what I'm giving up for Lent or what I'm doing for Easter. Never celebrated either in my life.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:51 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,642,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I just hate it when people assume that I must be religious.

Like when people ask me what I'm giving up for Lent or what I'm doing for Easter. Never celebrated either in my life.
Pull out a big bag of dryer lent, lol.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:26 AM

7,478 posts, read 5,795,952 times
I'm an agnostic, but I have nothing against Christians who believe in "that stuff" but who at least follow Jesus's teachings, in particularly those involving interacting with each other - the Golden Rule, loving thy neighbor, etc. Fake Christians drive me nuts. We all know the ones - they thump the Bible and scream about how JESUS!!!! forgives them for all of their sins (without them ending their sinning or repenting, of course) and then proceed to draw all their moral guidance from the worst parts of the old testament and Paul's ramblings. They are the ones who claim to be Christian while hating: gays, blacks, people of other faiths, disbelievers, the poor, free-thinkers, "communists" - aka, anyone who's not a Tea Party Republican - and so on. Even if one doesn't believe in Jesus, it's pretty clear from the Gospels that he would not have supported that hatred, making these people the worst hypocrites out there.

My personal favorites are the ones who hold a gun in one hand and the Bible in the other, while claiming to be Christian. Newsflash: Jesus would not have approved of firearm obsessions, nor would he support people with sick fetishes about killing others "who need killing." The hypocrisy of these fake Christians is sickening and not one of them remotely follows the actual teachings of their faith. It's doubly annoying that these clowns are having some success making their ignorance and hatred the law of the land, particularly in the deep south, while still spouting off about their faith. It is disgusting that in many parts of the nation, one can put on a cleric's vestment, pick up a Bible, and then spew hatred that would have impressed the Nazi's and yet get away with it because of "faith."

UGH!

Last edited by Rambler123; 04-23-2014 at 07:37 AM..

Old 04-23-2014, 10:42 AM

5,846 posts, read 3,359,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
I'm an agnostic, but I have nothing against Christians who believe in "that stuff" but who at least follow Jesus's teachings, in particularly those involving interacting with each other - the Golden Rule, loving thy neighbor, etc. Fake Christians drive me nuts. We all know the ones - they thump the Bible and scream about how JESUS!!!! forgives them for all of their sins (without them ending their sinning or repenting, of course) and then proceed to draw all their moral guidance from the worst parts of the old testament and Paul's ramblings. They are the ones who claim to be Christian while hating: gays, blacks, people of other faiths, disbelievers, the poor, free-thinkers, "communists" - aka, anyone who's not a Tea Party Republican - and so on. Even if one doesn't believe in Jesus, it's pretty clear from the Gospels that he would not have supported that hatred, making these people the worst hypocrites out there.

My personal favorites are the ones who hold a gun in one hand and the Bible in the other, while claiming to be Christian. Newsflash: Jesus would not have approved of firearm obsessions, nor would he support people with sick fetishes about killing others "who need killing." The hypocrisy of these fake Christians is sickening and not one of them remotely follows the actual teachings of their faith. It's doubly annoying that these clowns are having some success making their ignorance and hatred the law of the land, particularly in the deep south, while still spouting off about their faith. It is disgusting that in many parts of the nation, one can put on a cleric's vestment, pick up a Bible, and then spew hatred that would have impressed the Nazi's and yet get away with it because of "faith."

UGH!
I'd rep you if I could.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:49 PM

11,198 posts, read 11,010,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I'd rep you if I could.
I took care of it for you.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:09 PM

1,164 posts, read 966,582 times
I don't have difficulty tolerating some of the things many atheists do -- for example, I have no real problem with the bland American Deism that infuses so much of our political/national rituals. "One nation under God" and "In God We Trust" don't bother me. It's kind of charming.

I have a problem tolerating (in the sense of "holding my tongue") when confronted with magical thinking and the baseless certainty that so often accompanies religiosity. My wife and I are currently in the process of adopting children from foster care, and the whole system is awash in this stuff. "God called me to adopt" or "God meant us to be a family" or "parental rights MUST be terminated because God chose me to be this child's mother," and on and on and on. And it's not just the adoptive parents, but the social workers, case workers, advocates, etc. I'm very concerned that I'll develop a tic before the process is complete.

While I grew up in an evangelical home, I haven't had to deal with this stuff as an adult. I've realized that I'm not as tolerant as I thought I was, though it hasn't caused any bad behavior beyond teeth grinding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism