U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 11:53 AM

741 posts, read 1,067,122 times

Advertisements

Religious "gimmes" on Facebook, such as posting:

"Just sitting here praying to Jesus that someone will offer to take me our for my birthday, but I suppose I'm not special, and everyone is busy, so just hanging here with Jesus....Suppose I'll just read my bible and wish I was popular or that someone would buy me something...."

BARFFFFFFF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 12:18 PM

12,540 posts, read 12,520,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
Religious "gimmes" on Facebook, such as posting:

"Just sitting here praying to Jesus that someone will offer to take me our for my birthday, but I suppose I'm not special, and everyone is busy, so just hanging here with Jesus....Suppose I'll just read my bible and wish I was popular or that someone would buy me something...."

BARFFFFFFF

What, is Jesus their own personal butler or something?

I'd gag, too.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:08 AM

7,802 posts, read 5,278,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Come to Australia.
Not as religion free a country as one might hope either. Some pretty maddening religious based nonsense making its way into the politics and society there of late.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:02 AM

20,332 posts, read 10,442,079 times
This week what is annoying me is all of the "god is good" quotes on the local news after a tornado destroyed almost 200 homes.

No, if your god were so good it would have prevented the tornado in the first place.

A child was saved by her day care worker, who died, and all you hear is "god is good". Nothing about the woman who died holding that child in her arms and sheltering her from debris. Another child was picked up and thrown 1/4 of a mile away, he died. All you hear about is how the day before he stood up in front of his church and professed his faith. Seems their god didn't care about that. Hundreds of peoples lives in tatters, thousands if you count all of the employees of all of the businesses that were damaged and closed, and all you hear is "it was gods will".

What kind of sociopath god is that? Who would want to praise that sort of being?

Old 05-02-2014, 10:43 AM

2,079 posts, read 2,602,782 times
-jehovah's witnesses knocking on my door.
-when people say "god bless america".
-idiotic religious quotes on facebook
-people who claim they've spotted the virgin mary on the side of a building/landmark. seriously, what the hell are you smoking?
-any religious person who has a "holier than thou" attitude because they love god. lol

Old 05-02-2014, 12:54 PM

7,478 posts, read 5,787,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
This week what is annoying me is all of the "god is good" quotes on the local news after a tornado destroyed almost 200 homes.

No, if your god were so good it would have prevented the tornado in the first place.

A child was saved by her day care worker, who died, and all you hear is "god is good". Nothing about the woman who died holding that child in her arms and sheltering her from debris. Another child was picked up and thrown 1/4 of a mile away, he died. All you hear about is how the day before he stood up in front of his church and professed his faith. Seems their god didn't care about that. Hundreds of peoples lives in tatters, thousands if you count all of the employees of all of the businesses that were damaged and closed, and all you hear is "it was gods will".

What kind of sociopath god is that? Who would want to praise that sort of being?
Yep. If the all-powerful, all-knowing, infinitely just and loving God of the bible actually existed, those twisters would never have come close to anyone or even happened at all.

When something good - or not as bad as it could be - happens, it's "thank God."

When disaster strikes, it's "God's will."

Everything for good or for bad, no matter how random or unjust, can be squeezed somehow into the mindset of the extremely devout, and it is really annoying.

It just doesn't add up - so, a loving God is both responsible for one child being saved, another dying, and heaven only knows how much other damage... gee, it almost looks like pure, random chance to me, not the act of some greater being.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:27 PM

8,335 posts, read 9,794,366 times
Crap like this:

A Matter of Faith Movie Trailer - YouTube

Old 05-02-2014, 08:17 PM

30,693 posts, read 33,456,199 times
Yeah, anything that takes aim at science and tries to convince people it's a conspiracy or "scientist just hate god" so much they make everything up.

Those FB feel good posts, which is why I don't use FB anymore.

Mostly I internally roll my eyes until the person leaves. Sometimes I externally roll them too. But the ones that try my patience are the sneak attacker, the ones that show up to a social event, group or gathering and when they get you alone will just say "where do you go to church?" or tell me god has worked a miracle in their life and can they share it with me? Why does anyone assume I want to talk about that during BUNCO? LOL! Idiots, all of them, and lacking in manners.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:55 PM

4,144 posts, read 5,106,815 times
The thing that tests my tolerance is having someone try and convert me although I avoid those people and focus on the ones that don't care. Evangelism really irritates me. It assumes other people are less than if they don't adhere to x belief.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:36 AM

14,191 posts, read 9,079,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Evangelism really irritates me. It assumes other people are less than if they don't adhere to x belief.
Evangelism is just a fancy word for sales. A sales proposition can be said to be a belief that you would benefit from the product being sold, as others have, and does not necessarily judge you as inferior, just as needlessly inconvenienced in a way that can be remedied by making you aware of the existence of a novel solution.

The smarmy, objectionable aspect of any sales pitch, including evangelism, is when the seller falsely associates social standing with owning the product. It's one thing to say that a car is more durable and fuel efficient, it's another to say that owning it will cause members of the opposite sex to find you irresistible and your friends to envy you. The latter claims are an insult to the mark's intelligence. Similarly it's one thing to say that religion provides certainty and comfort and the removal of guilt; it's another thing to say that it will cause god to find you irresistible as opposed to thinking of you as troublesome garbage, fit only for unending and absolute punishment. THAT is an insult to the mark's intelligence as well.

Of course it's worse than that; ALL religious claims are unsubstantiated and unsubstantiatble. The certitude on offer has no real value except in that religion abhors uncertainty as intolerable; the comfort is needed only because of the discomfort created by religion's claimed problem definition; absolution is needed only because of the condemnation that religion provides. It's like selling a Yugo to someone who already owns a perfectly functional used Mercedes by telling them that a celestial maker of Yugos has deemed all other makes of car evil and plans to melt them all down with their owners inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism