Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 04:33 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,155,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
What tests my tolerance is when my Dad leaves exorcisms on my voice mail. Hear one here:

Music and Podcast

I post them because he's a raging, abusive christian.
YIKES! Wow. Sorry you have to endure that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 05:08 PM

48,564 posts, read 23,987,897 times
Quote:
What tests your tolerance as an atheist?
Religion.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:57 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,300,124 times
Heres's a few things that break my tolerance meter:
  • Like everyone else, I grow intolerant of people who think their religion should be the law of the land; those that think the Bible trumps the Constitution. Dominionists like Mike Huckabee annoy me too. Religion should be a personal choice, not a law.
  • When a believer (regardless of religion) whines about being persecuted - especially when they want the right to do something immoral and then cry when they can't, pulling out the "right to practice religion" and "I'm being persecuted" cards.
  • Science deniers. I just find it embarrassing knowing that the rest of the world doesn't have very many of these Bible worshipers. They accept what science has to say and still maintain their beliefs. But in America, we have whacko YEC believers and people who insist that evolution is wrong. It makes Americans look like backward hicks on the global stage and sometimes I wonder what non-Americans think of me because of that.
  • Theocratic fascism. Of course Christians deny it. But there are powerful forces always at work trying to ban books, censor music, pull television shows and commercials off the air. No, not because these shows feature sex, wanton violence, and swearing. Nooo. Any show that even mentions gays has to go as does any show that has an atheist as a main character. And a show that commits blasphemy has to be yanked immediately. People really have no idea just how widespread religious fascim actually is in this country.
  • Christians who think you have to believe in God in order to be a patriot. Hell, even George H.W. Bush said that non-beleivers cannot be patriots because this is "one nation under God." And the way that phrase is used makes it no small wonder why atheists wanted the "under God" part removed from the Pledge.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:39 AM

11,328 posts, read 9,214,917 times
Just hearing the word "god" in a positive way makes me cringe. Can't relate as it's beyond dumb and anti-science.

Like "god bless you" in the workplace. Or hearing any church talk, god this or that.
It seems there are very few atheists around, at least where I live. The god thing should be ridiculed but it's not.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:46 AM

50,081 posts, read 20,507,234 times
Pretty easy- a Dogma trying to exercise control over society, law, politics, education and even science.

Christianity, Islam, Marxism, Nazism -it all equally gets my goat.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:55 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,393,995 times
At work, there's always somebody selling breakfasts for his/her church. Work is stopped for the distribution and eating of these.
I work for a Fed agency

I wrote "Tofu!" across one of the breakfast notices that was taped to the time clock .

Most of my co-workers are blessed ! Poor me; I'm not.

Then there's the persecuted Jehovah's Witness guy. Oh boy.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:19 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,070,302 times
Most things usually roll off my back and I have answered on other threads about being quiet and respectful when grace is said at a public function but this week at a casual outdoor picnic, everybody was ready to eat, probably all Christians but nobody even hesitating about starting to eat when the one "fanatic" loudly yells to stop so she can say grace.
I got instantly irritated and realized that my tolerance had reached an end.
I didn't say anything but did not stop what I was doing (arranging dishes) and decided that, from here on in, I will not stop , even if what I am doing is starting to eat.
If the fork is on it's way to my mouth, it will continue it's journey.

Last edited by old_cold; 04-11-2014 at 06:23 AM..

Old 04-11-2014, 05:52 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,869,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
What tests my tolerance is when my Dad leaves exorcisms on my voice mail. Hear one here:

Music and Podcast

I post them because he's a raging, abusive christian.
I am flabbergasted. This is your dad? Aiming this "exorcism" at you?

Old 04-11-2014, 05:54 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,300,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If the fork is on it's way to my mouth, it will continue it's journey.
Hehe ... for some reason that struck me as funny, especially given the context. I think my fork will continue its journey, too.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:52 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,057,627 times
Religious hypocrisy is a big one for me. That and the fact that people who follow a religious belief are so willing to overlook these things as just part of human shortcomings...why not go the whole hog and say the concept of god is part of human shortcomings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism