Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 09:36 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I think I'll be ordering those.

And for easter, it'll say, "I'm atheist, but I'll accept chocolate or bunnies or chocolate bunnies."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 06:42 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
See, now this is why we need some Atheist Holidays. Presently we enjoy no designated day for honoring non believers while the religious have a several. Consequently all of the opportunities to bombard the other side with "good will" propaganda belong to the deists.

We should lobby Congress until we get our holiday. I'm open for ideas as to what that day should be. February 12th is Darwin's birthday, but then that is also Lincoln's birthday. July 21st, the day the Scopes Monkey trial was decided? November 9th, Carl Sagan's birthday?

Once the holiday is in place, then Sweetbottoms can send Margaret, Kay and Jake a card with quotes about religion by from famous atheists. Perhaps if a present is in order, the latest book by Richard Dawkins or Bart Ehrman.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post

Lol oh the truth behind that!

I also like these

I feel as if one can never go wrong with Jesus on a Raptor. It feels like a man on a mission

and if I get another hand drawn diagram this year she's getting this one as punishment

Old 04-16-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Well at least this time they didn't draw a diagram.

Even I felt the need to pray to something after that fiasco of a drawing.. I might have said Lord have Mercy

Old 04-16-2014, 08:30 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Well at least this time they didn't draw a diagram.
I can imagine

(1) empty tomb ----} women with hair standing on end in frite as stick figure with wings and Halo
saith "He is risen" ----} stick figure disciples with folded arms saying "Bah! humbug!" ------]
Haloed stick figure Jesus walks in through solid door (leaving a stick figure-shaped hole in? Friteing stick figure disciples (12 in number owing to slipshod scholarship) . Head of stick figure Thomas with ? over head is all that can be crammed in owing to lack of space...

Old 04-16-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I can imagine

(1) empty tomb ----} women with hair standing on end in frite as stick figure with wings and Halo
saith "He is risen" ----} stick figure disciples with folded arms saying "Bah! humbug!" ------]
Haloed stick figure Jesus walks in through solid door (leaving a stick figure-shaped hole in? Friteing stick figure disciples (12 in number owing to slipshod scholarship) . Head of stick figure Thomas with ? over head is all that can be crammed in owing to lack of space...
that is in reference to the Diagram I received attached to my Christmas card last year

A recap

Old 04-16-2014, 09:21 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
@Sweetbottoms, WHOA. That's ... terrifying.

Um, respectfully, does the relative doing this have a personality disorder or other mental illness? Back in my 20s, I used to collect "letters from the disturbed" - I had a couple written to a publishing company I worked for, and a few passed on from friends who had acquired "admirers" of some kind. The samples you posted kind of resemble those. (I was collecting them becuase I was thinking about writing a short story about a mentally ill character.)

However, the "weiner roasts" picture in the birthday card was the best non sequitur EVER.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:25 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post

However, the "weiner roasts" picture in the birthday card was the best non sequitur EVER.
I know, right? LOL.

Thank God for weiner roasts.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
@Sweetbottoms, WHOA. That's ... terrifying.

Um, respectfully, does the relative doing this have a personality disorder or other mental illness? Back in my 20s, I used to collect "letters from the disturbed" - I had a couple written to a publishing company I worked for, and a few passed on from friends who had acquired "admirers" of some kind. The samples you posted kind of resemble those. (I was collecting them becuase I was thinking about writing a short story about a mentally ill character.)

Believe me I think they look like rambling of a lunatic. She's DEEPLY entrenched in religion. Unless the convo is about that then forget having one. I call it insanity by reason of religion... I think to some degree it can drive a person to insanity (obviously, look at 9/11) but even the average folk become so obsessed.. Well, The pictures speak for themselves.

I'm
Highly interested in the mentally disturbed , truely a facinating subject.. Just not when it's directed at u!

Old 04-19-2014, 01:47 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
I remember the Christmas card thread. I too am openly atheist, the only one, in a very religious-fundamentalist family (on both sides). But I can say I've never seen that sort of thing. I'm just used to getting bibles or devotionals for gifts along with cards saying 'we'll pray for you' (implying something is wrong with me).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism