U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-30-2014, 10:03 AM
 
8,343 posts, read 9,817,954 times
Reputation: 10652

Advertisements

You can really rile them up by informing them that, by definition, they're a cult. They love that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-30-2014, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Aiken, South Carolina, US of A
1,769 posts, read 3,873,434 times
Reputation: 3584
Heartfocus,
You have like minded friends here.
I am female, 53, atheist, so there you go, you know someone now.
There are many more than we realize.
I have very little to do with real religious people.
It can be isolating, depending on how religious they really are.
But the real religious people, they aren't right in the head, so I stay
away from them.
Sorry your family and some friends won't speak with you. It's their loss.
That's how I see it.
Ya gotta be who you are.
When you know better, you gotta do better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2014, 02:44 PM
Status: "Watching America made small." (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
25,909 posts, read 13,469,145 times
Reputation: 11711
Some of you folk are as guilty of an us-against-them mentality as the Christians you deplore.

There really are quite a lot of believers in a Creator who align with no defined religion at all: Deists, Animists, First Nations people, Wiccans and pagans of various persuasions.

We may not be legion - but there's plenty of us believers who have no dispute with science and value reason.

We are not "them."

You have more allies than you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2014, 04:24 PM
 
Location: "Arlen" Texas
2,384 posts, read 1,561,717 times
Reputation: 9255
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
What is scary is in the very religious town I'm in, the main psychiatrist is religious and works in a religious clinic where you are confronted with bibles and god posters everywhere! I made an appointment with him, and had to see a nurse first (I have a mood disorder, bipolar) and I told her that I'm a victim of severe religious abuse coming from my father. Then the psychiatrist cancelled my appointment with him! So I had to go to the next town here in rural NorCal to find treatment options (I hope to move there).

Don't these psychiatrists know that manic people can be hyper-religious? I know, I've been there and was manic as hell and hyper-religious. That they use religion to treat such mental illness just is ridiculous. It should not be allowed. All the doctor has to do is to do some time in a mental hospital and he'd see. Then he'd see how many patients think they are Jesus Christ.

I'm sorry you had that experience. Sadly few things mislead people who should know better more than religion. I wish you healing and peace!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2014, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Northeastern US
14,197 posts, read 9,104,852 times
Reputation: 6081
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
I am an ex-christian, now atheist and it drives me crazy when they insist "its not a religion, its a relationship." I tell them to look up the word, "religion" in a dictionary but it doesn't do any good.
It is simply their way of saying, "but MY religion is truly SPECIAL and DIFFERENT from all the others because it is MORE REAL". The patina of "realness" arises from personal subjective experience -- personal "evidence" that is conveniently invisible, inaccessible and non-verifiable to anyone else. But they can invite you to have a similar experience so that you can experience the same feeling of reality yourself.

Even in my days as an evangelical, there were inside jokes about the quest for this "real" experience. I recall the joke about some poor guy at the altar rail during an "altar" call. He is after an experience of god. On one side of him, an elder is urging him to "let go and let god". On the other side, another elder is urging him to "hang on to god". This is not very far from the truth of the more sawdust-trail, emotionally-oriented fundamentalism.

Even in the more dignified / sedate departments of evangelical experience there is still an emphasis on experience as validation, unless, as I once was, you are an inerrantist and a bibliolater, in which case you substitute the notion that the scriptures are some kind of inarguable proof of anything, that they are somehow black and white -- you have a personal pseudo-intellectual experience, effectively.

This type of Christian will insist that their faith is real because of how they subjectively experience it or feel or think about it. The most you can do is remind them that hairs standing up on the back of their neck or feeling warm inside or in some sort of religious ecstasy or a state of obstinate certitude about Truth doesn't make a religion any less a religion. But they're not going to listen, so don't even try unless all you're trying to do is plant seeds of ideas that might germinate someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2014, 08:11 PM
 
Location: California
30,709 posts, read 33,531,833 times
Reputation: 26144
Sometimes the same group who claim it's a relationship not a religion will claim atheism is a religion. I'm not sure but I think most people just make up word definitions on the fly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2014, 05:33 AM
 
322 posts, read 677,741 times
Reputation: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
You just did. I'm a male, 53 and PROUD as hell to say to anyone I'm an atheist. Whether it's your family, or co-workers making the choice to believe in only yourself and accepting the fact that nothing will be there when your life is done requires some guts and moxy on your part. STAND UP for what you know is the real truth, no matter what others think of you.
I do when I have the chance but am very isolated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2014, 05:37 AM
 
322 posts, read 677,741 times
Reputation: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Some of you folk are as guilty of an us-against-them mentality as the Christians you deplore.

There really are quite a lot of believers in a Creator who align with no defined religion at all: Deists, Animists, First Nations people, Wiccans and pagans of various persuasions.

We may not be legion - but there's plenty of us believers who have no dispute with science and value reason.

We are not "them."

You have more allies than you think.
Maybe if I hadn't lost all my classmates and relatives because they couldn't shove their religion back down my throat, I wouldn't have the "us against them" mentality. Its hard for a woman, because we value relationships and family a bit more than men seem to. And I lost them all when I came out as an atheist. That is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2014, 06:12 AM
 
Location: Northeastern US
14,197 posts, read 9,104,852 times
Reputation: 6081
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
Maybe if I hadn't lost all my classmates and relatives because they couldn't shove their religion back down my throat, I wouldn't have the "us against them" mentality. Its hard for a woman, because we value relationships and family a bit more than men seem to. And I lost them all when I came out as an atheist. That is wrong.
Which probably speaks to the periodic threads around here about why more men than women seem to self-identify as atheist. But as a man I can say that we are not immune to social pressure ourselves, particularly given that many of us deconverts were attracted to and/or held in fundamentalism because we were somewhat conformist / compliant / pleaser types in the first place -- or even if not, were socialized to be that way and loaded up with taboos about non-conformance.

To your point, though, I agree that the us vs them mentality of fundamentalism pretty much requires a proportionate response from the other side. We need to keep in mind who is generating all the hair-splitting, it is seldom actually originating from the unbelievers. We'd just as soon live and let live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2014, 05:21 PM
 
322 posts, read 677,741 times
Reputation: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Which probably speaks to the periodic threads around here about why more men than women seem to self-identify as atheist. But as a man I can say that we are not immune to social pressure ourselves, particularly given that many of us deconverts were attracted to and/or held in fundamentalism because we were somewhat conformist / compliant / pleaser types in the first place -- or even if not, were socialized to be that way and loaded up with taboos about non-conformance.

To your point, though, I agree that the us vs them mentality of fundamentalism pretty much requires a proportionate response from the other side. We need to keep in mind who is generating all the hair-splitting, it is seldom actually originating from the unbelievers. We'd just as soon live and let live.
I am positive that I would still have all those relationships if I had come out as a gay person instead of an atheist! Christians think they are persecuted. They are not. They are the majority and run the country. The United States would elect a gay president before they elected an atheist president. We are the real persecuted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top