U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 06:08 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,087,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
I am positive that I would still have all those relationships if I had come out as a gay person instead of an atheist! Christians think they are persecuted. They are not. They are the majority and run the country. The United States would elect a gay president before they elected an atheist president. We are the real persecuted.
In my experience, it's an odd flavor of Christianity that is conservative and isolationist enough to shun unbelievers but not homosexuals. The two tend to both be regarded by fundamentalists as "in league with Satan" and some sort of ultimate threat. But I guess now that you mention it, there is a middle of the road denominationalism that seems to still reject gender equality and gender difference, and perhaps they are more rabid about unbelief than I realize, since I come from the more straight-laced evangelical side of things. Still, the more liberal the Christian, the more common cause they actually have with unbelievers, because both liberal theists and atheists oppose the anti-intellectual, anti-rational, literalist, Bible-worshipping ethos of fundamentalism. Maybe you can find some common ground to work with there. Or maybe the particular local flavor of Christian has evolved differently than I'm familiar with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 06:34 PM

561 posts, read 1,033,927 times
Quote:
What is scary is in the very religious town I'm in, the main psychiatrist is religious and works in a religious clinic where you are confronted with bibles and god posters everywhere! I made an appointment with him, and had to see a nurse first (I have a mood disorder, bipolar) and I told her that I'm a victim of severe religious abuse coming from my father. Then the psychiatrist cancelled my appointment with him! So I had to go to the next town here in rural NorCal to find treatment options (I hope to move there).

Don't these psychiatrists know that manic people can be hyper-religious? I know, I've been there and was manic as hell and hyper-religious. That they use religion to treat such mental illness just is ridiculous. It should not be allowed. All the doctor has to do is to do some time in a mental hospital and he'd see. Then he'd see how many patients think they are Jesus Christ.
I hope you are able to find effective treatment. I've dated a couple women who are bipolar, so I have some sense of how difficult it is.

But don't worry, I'm sure god can cure you the way he cures homosexuality! And we all know how well that works don't we!

Old 05-20-2014, 08:18 AM

322 posts, read 677,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
It's a relationship with an imaginary friend. lol Did you know that they make an exception for religious delusions in medical protocols for treating mental illnesses? Because it's mass delusion, it's not considered a psychiatric condition. Now for most it's just cognitive dissonance. But considering Jim Jones, David Koresh, the Hall Bopp comet crew to name a few - there's definitely some mental illness going on there. It's just a matter of degree for some.
What's really bad is that when a person is truly mentally ill, they often get hyper religious. Most have thought they were jesus christ at least once. I guess over in the mid east they think they are mohammed?

Old 05-20-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathizer View Post
I hope you are able to find effective treatment. I've dated a couple women who are bipolar, so I have some sense of how difficult it is.

But don't worry, I'm sure god can cure you the way he cures homosexuality! And we all know how well that works don't we!
I got better 14 years ago and stayed that way.
Yeah god really cures homosexuality and mental illness real well. He's mentally ill himself. Self absorbed - he supposedly came down to save us from himself so he tortured himself. Sick dogma!

Old 05-20-2014, 12:58 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,640,542 times
Quote:
I got better 14 years ago and stayed that way.
Yeah god really cures homosexuality and mental illness real well. He's mentally ill himself. Self absorbed - he supposedly came down to save us from himself so he tortured himself. Sick dogma!

Old 05-25-2014, 03:40 AM

2,946 posts, read 2,826,515 times
Quote:
I am an ex-christian, now atheist and it drives me crazy when they insist "its not a religion, its a relationship." I tell them to look up the word, "religion" in a dictionary but it doesn't do any good.

My family no longer talks to me and my old classmates don't talk to me and if I find myself in a possible friendship situation with a religious gal, I keep my distance. I have had it pushed on me so much. I feel very hurt over what their "not a religion" has done to my life.

I have looked at a lot of YouTube debates and it has really turned me against religion even more. I think there is nothing worse than to cut off people you love because of the "not a religion." How can a thinking person subscribe to this denial? How can a so called intelligent adult be so cruel because of it?

P.S. My local Skeptics club consists of a handful of male college students and I'm female and 59. I don't think I will ever meet another atheist my age. I need to move so that I can find some friends who are not caught up in this abusive religion.
I'm 28. I am still friends with all of the childhood friends and high school friends and so on that I had before I identified as an atheist. We respect each other and often have healthy debate. None have ever made me uncomfortable and I've tried to do the same. I live in the bible belt. Many of my coworkers are christian. They know I am atheist. It's never been an issue there either. It's just...not an issue. If someone makes it one, I'd say they have a personal problem and not a belief system issue.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:14 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,087,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
I'm 28. I am still friends with all of the childhood friends and high school friends and so on that I had before I identified as an atheist. We respect each other and often have healthy debate. None have ever made me uncomfortable and I've tried to do the same. I live in the bible belt. Many of my coworkers are christian. They know I am atheist. It's never been an issue there either. It's just...not an issue. If someone makes it one, I'd say they have a personal problem and not a belief system issue.
This makes me wonder if the secret to functioning as a minority of any kind in a society is to have a strong center of your own, healthy and well-enforced boundaries, and palpable personal integrity that discourages people from messing with you because they know they can't put one over on you or guilt you into conformance. I can't say whether your success in coexisting with Bible-belt Christians is more good luck or a matter of personal style. Probably both. My guess is that your friends are not the rabid fundamentalists that some have to cope with, and that your workplace is not run by such folks either. Either that or you have valuable skills that makes them willing to overlook your apostasy. But beyond a certain point, some fundamentalists will not tolerate unbelievers in their orbit, pure and simple.

I wish you continued good fortune but in all honesty if I were 28 and living where you are I'd move to more egalitarian pastures when I was able to, just so I'd have more basis for meaningful conversation without constantly being asked where I go to church or expected to have the correct rejoinder for "praise the lord". It does become tiresome after awhile. Your mileage may vary, etc.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
That's plain ignorance because its what christians DO. Its what they do all the time. Its what their pastors tell them to do. You are ignorant of what they are being taught. I don't believe you are an atheist in the bible belt.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:02 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,640,542 times
Quote:
That's plain ignorance because its what christians DO. Its what they do all the time. Its what their pastors tell them to do. You are ignorant of what they are being taught. I don't believe you are an atheist in the bible belt.
IF you're a STRONG person, and VERY damn stubborn the you CAN survive in bible country if you're an Atheist! The trick is to be able to turn a blind eye and ear to those who prefer the daily brainwashing!

Old 05-25-2014, 06:36 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,092,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
IF you're a STRONG person, and VERY damn stubborn the you CAN survive in bible country if you're an Atheist! The trick is to be able to turn a blind eye and ear to those who prefer the daily brainwashing!

You bet you can. There is a "Creation science" museum 4 blocks from me, and 2 churches within 2 blocks. In a bible belt area. Actually I think we are in the buckle of that belt.

I won't put up with any BS, am kind to my neighbors, help in the community, but don't give me the religion spin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or