U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 08:13 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,645,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
You bet you can. There is a "Creation science" museum 4 blocks from me, and 2 churches within 2 blocks. In a bible belt area. Actually I think we are in the buckle of that belt.

I won't put up with any BS, am kind to my neighbors, help in the community, but don't give me the religion spin.
Exactly! Way to rock your freedom!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 12:35 AM

293 posts, read 208,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
I am an ex-christian, now atheist and it drives me crazy when they insist "its not a religion, its a relationship." I tell them to look up the word, "religion" in a dictionary but it doesn't do any good.

My family no longer talks to me and my old classmates don't talk to me and if I find myself in a possible friendship situation with a religious gal, I keep my distance. I have had it pushed on me so much. I feel very hurt over what their "not a religion" has done to my life.

I have looked at a lot of YouTube debates and it has really turned me against religion even more. I think there is nothing worse than to cut off people you love because of the "not a religion." How can a thinking person subscribe to this denial? How can a so called intelligent adult be so cruel because of it?

P.S. My local Skeptics club consists of a handful of male college students and I'm female and 59. I don't think I will ever meet another atheist my age. I need to move so that I can find some friends who are not caught up in this abusive religion.
I think most of us commenting are feeling your pain. I am very fortunate; both me and my spouse are atheists. It makes that part of our marriage and raising children so much easier.

But, religion has all but ruined many of my relationships as well. My best friend from 7th grade onward through high school, college, and 15 years after that won't speak to me anymore.
My parents stopped talking to me for about 10 years after I told them I was an atheist. In one instance they just completely refused to talk to me unless I left a message on their answering machine or in an E-mail said “Jesus is Lord”. It got really ugly quickly. I had respectfully stayed quiet around them for a while, but after I retired, I got really sick and found out I don't have a lot of time left. I'm beating the odds as it is right now. As much as I could, I got into local politics and became very vocal in support of LGBT rights and you can even say I went batsh** crazy in ensuring the public schools that my children went to taught evolution and the scientific method vs. creationism (and even some young earth creationism).

It's funny that I heard the term “militant atheist” in this thread. I've been called that by several Christians. At an planned parenthood clinic, I went with a friend to set up a support women's right to choose booth next to the screaming Christians that line the sidewalk from the parking lot making the women feel miserable. It was totally hilarious and I had a lot of it on my camera. I arrived and was not yet wheelchair bound, but had difficulty moving. They were so nice to me, helping me to set up my table, set up the food and drinks. I offered them some and they all accepted and told me what a strong person I was to be this sick and still out there. Then they saw the shirts and bumper stickers that we were giving away with the food... As soon as they realized we were not Christians trying to shame the women but were atheists trying to gain support for medical care for low income women as well as pro choice... they called the cops on us. Long story short, they left and went to another clinic and the police told us not to follow them. Still... best laugh I have had in a while.

One of the reasons I am so hated here is because I am a good debater, and when you use logic and reason it is very hard to loose. Pro Choice vs. Pro Life is about the only one I find difficult. But anyway, I am very vocal now about religion being so hypocritical and disengenuous. Here are a list of the claims I have heard and most importantly I know for a fact that the either the majority of the Christians arguing these points are lying or at the very least the leadership in the church know it is a lie but push it on to their congregations.

1. The claim that Christianity isn't a religion but a relationship... yet the lack of a belief (like atheism) is a religion.
2. The claim that homosexuality leads to rape, pedophilia, beastiality, etc.
3. They claim that Christianity is our countries religion and that there is no Separation of Church and State
4. All the scientific garbage they throw out saying science proves God exists
5. The celebration of ignorance.

I could go on and on. OP – I'm sorry you haven't met anyone your age that is an Atheist. There are lots of us online here if you ever need to vent or some moral support. In light of that, you may check (if you have one) at a local community college as sometimes there are classes at night for adults where you may find some similar thinking adults. Similarly, you could look at some volunteer work in some of the political offices with candidates that support your values as I have met many atheists our age volunteering there. Lastly, you may try volunteering at a local library. Hope this helps.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:25 AM

39,273 posts, read 10,931,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheistAstroGuy View Post

It's funny that I heard the term “militant atheist” in this thread. I've been called that by several Christians. ...
The 'New atheists' 'Atheist fundamentalist' and 'Militant atheists' labels dished out are more or less unfair attempts to diss Atheism with a sort of Pot -Kettle projection mentality. The best thing to do (I find) is consider the points honestly.

'New Atheism' is just the same as old atheism - except that, as our OP heartfocus said, the Internet is allowing us to speak out.
Atheist fundamentalism is strictly a nonsensical accusation. There is no creed or dogma to be fundamentalist about - Real atheists in fact are specifically NOT fundamentalist about disbelief. However, Fundamentalist in the misused meaning of being militant is a fair comment.

Atheism is now militant. It is no longer willing to sit and take it. Equating atheism with evil, criminality and immorality is not going to go uncontested, and one of these days, a few people slandering atheism in that way will find themselves on the end of a court case.

And we are militant about religion and its authority. It isn't a case of suppressing religion, but of allowing freedom of All religions, and freedom from it. The recent business in the Sudan makes it clear that freedom of religious choice is Globally accepted as right, and even the Sudanese government are not so brazen as to say they will execute apostates and to hell with the rest of the world.
This is merely what militant atheism wants - freedom of religious choice, which may offend the State religion but is actually moral, right and in everyone's best interests.

Quote:
One of the reasons I am so hated here is because I am a good debater, and when you use logic and reason it is very hard to loose. Pro Choice vs. Pro Life is about the only one I find difficult. But anyway, I am very vocal now about religion being so hypocritical and disengenuous. Here are a list of the claims I have heard and most importantly I know for a fact that the either the majority of the Christians arguing these points are lying or at the very least the leadership in the church know it is a lie but push it on to their congregations.

1. The claim that Christianity isn't a religion but a relationship... yet the lack of a belief (like atheism) is a religion.
2. The claim that homosexuality leads to rape, pedophilia, beastiality, etc.
3. They claim that Christianity is our countries religion and that there is no Separation of Church and State
4. All the scientific garbage they throw out saying science proves God exists
5. The celebration of ignorance.
Yes, these are some of the many footling and simply wrong claims or accusations made about atheism or in favour of Christianity. I may say that the Abortion debate is one that I feel most unhappy about, yet the uncompromising stance of religion seems based not so much on law, morality or value of human life, but (when you are talking about the potential human in an Ovum), a matter of fundamentalist doctrine.

The slippery -slope argument against homosexuality is simply nonsense.

That they want to have no separation of church and state (and, under Bush and Reagan, the administration crossed the constitutional line) ought to be resisted, even if the constitution didn't imply such separation.

We don't have it here in the Lill Ol' Uk, and the religious trappings of Politics, education and every damn' thing is an annoyance. However, despite that the UK is getting very irreligious and sooner or later, the men in nightgowns will find their attendance at public and political events is not required. They can do their Thing in their churches and Cathedrals, but not outside.

Science does not prove God exists. If anything it casts strong doubts on it. It is simply a nonsense -claim. trust me - I have seen the arguments from the best and they add up to little or nothing.

The celebration of Ignorance is a fascinating facet of religion. It is not so much ignorance per se, but a kind of thinking strictly within the Box.

Matthew 11.25 New International Version
At that time Jesus said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. (1)

Luke 10.21. New International Version
At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children.

This encapsulates the praise of stupidity that pervades Christianity like twisty words through a stick of Brighton rock -candy. Knowledge and even erudition is fine - we get lots of it in the Gospels, but any wisdom that does not support Faith is foolishness and any foolishness that Does support faith is called 'Wisdom'. As Gimli says, "The words of this wizard stand on their heads.".

The 'Truth' in religion means 'faith', and anything that doesn't prop it up is 'Lies' even if it is demonstrably true. Comprehending this inversion of sound reasoning, intellectual integrity and verified scientific fact is one of the keys to understanding the religious mindset. And indeed, the mind of the cultist and I regret to say, far too much of human thinking, which is more about self -justification and winning the argument by any means than about getting at the truth.

(1) Q document additional material as it doesn't appear in Mark.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 06-01-2014 at 08:51 AM..

Old 06-08-2014, 03:42 PM

322 posts, read 677,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Yeah, I have the same problem, though I don't care what age they are - I'd just be happy to meet another atheist out here in the real world!

I haven't touched my Facebook account in over a year because just about all of my old high school friends have run off and found God in a big way. They haven't pushed their religion onto me personally, but they won't shut up about religion. Everything is God this, God that, church, church, church. Yeah I know living in a small town is boring and church is a big draw (as is the local bar), but these people are maddening. In truth, it isn't even that they talk about God - it's that they're always talking about God. That kind of single-minded repetition would annoy me no matter what they were talking about. Hey! Change the damn subject once in awhile!

But I suppose because it's God talk, it just seems even more annoying because it IS fundamentalist in nature. It's interesting being a fly on the wall among fundie Christians who have forgotten that I can lurk on Facebook and see what they post to each other. So much of it involves a "I'm Christian but I hate the poor (even though I'm poor myself) because they're all lazy!" kind of mentality. Not only are they fundamentalist, they are also fanatically conservative in their political leanings.

What I find so - I don't know what the word for it is - what I find so sad (depressing? melancholy?) is that these are the same friends I used to pal around with, people I have a history with and with whom I have created a lot of fond memories. And now look at them. Now they are people I couldn't stomach being around for any length of time. And in the grand scheme of life, our high school days were NOT all that long ago. What on earth happened?
I can TOTALLY relate to you! They weren't like this in high school. I don't understand what happened either.

P.S. I am hot on Facebook because I have 2,000 atheist friends there. Its the only social outlet I have for my atheism and it's highly satisfying for me.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:22 PM

6,491 posts, read 5,250,081 times
Ehh, if they don't know the meaning of the word "religion", they're not worth your time. You're literally better off discussing it with an eight-year old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or