U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 01:48 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,639,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .EL. View Post
THE PARENT ENTITY (Summary)

Maybe there’s an explanation beyond religion and atheist theory. The problem with current beliefs is that they are not observable in nature. Life is not created by supernatural gods or inorganic objects. We need a theory that follows the laws of nature.

Some atheists depend upon “The Nothing Theory” because they have been traumatized by theist ideology. Just saying, “We come from nothing, we are nothing, and we will be nothing” isn’t good enough. This is a tedious theory that closes your mind and inspires no one. We need a new theory. We need intelligent innovative ideas. We need to extrapolate from what is known to what is unknown.

Conclusion: Life begins through conception and birth. This planet is the seed from which life grows; another entity is the source from which life on this planet originates. This entity is a parent of life on this planet. Born of this world we are left alone on this planet to grow and evolve. Creation is a natural process. Creation and evolution are synergetic. We were created to evolve.

Please read the complete version CLICK HERE. IAI (I Assume Intelligence) – IAI the reader of this material. Please leave comments and questions that perpetuate knowledge and understanding.
For me this is too much about nothing. I'm content with just being here, and I have no need to think beyond that fact. Why must everything be torn apart and theorized over? Just be happy your butt is here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 10:36 AM

17,249 posts, read 19,545,740 times
There is actually no such thing as "nothing."

It is a philosophical abstraction.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:08 PM

13,678 posts, read 13,594,180 times
Sorry - I'm not looking for a deeper meaning in my life. I'm perfectly content as is. Life is pretty awesome. Digging into the philosophical whys and whatfors of existence is actually pretty tedious in my opinion. I've got an inquiring mind, but the metaphysical doesn't really interest me.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:22 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,639,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Sorry - I'm not looking for a deeper meaning in my life. I'm perfectly content as is. Life is pretty awesome. Digging into the philosophical whys and whatfors of existence is actually pretty tedious in my opinion. I've got an inquiring mind, but the metaphysical doesn't really interest me.
Agreed.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:52 AM

7,802 posts, read 5,281,003 times
Quote:
This is a tedious theory that closes your mind and inspires no one.
Nor is it required to. Theories do not need to inspire you. Or even interest you. If they are tedious to you then this is a comment about you, not the theories.

Our theories only need be substantiated. Your subjective emotional response to them is less than irrelevant.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:05 PM

43 posts, read 39,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
For me this is too much about nothing. I'm content with just being here, and I have no need to think beyond that fact. Why must everything be torn apart and theorized over? Just be happy your butt is here.
Why are you here if not to think and theorize? But if you don't want to think, that's OK too.

As for the other posters, just because you cannot think of a reason does not mean there isn't one. We are not the most intelligent beings in the universe: as proven by some of these comments. I see a lot criticism with no innovative theories or ideas; innovation may be difficult if your only skill is to criticize.

Lilac110 gave the best response thus far. However, I am still waiting for better, more intelligent responses from people who can think things through without stating the obvious.

Worst comment of the day: "There is actually no such thing as "nothing"." Please do not do leave comments like that. IAI (I Assume Intelligence) maybe you should as well.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I agree-it's not a new argument, and like the old ones, it is fallacious. Not because it is provably wrong, but it asks us to assume givens (we were created to evolve) without their being given any basis for substantiation. We do not know whether we were 'created' or not, but we do know that we evolved, if the evidence for that counts for anything, so that is the preferred theory.
AREQUIPA, I did not mean to confuse you; I am not using the theist definition of creation. Creation simply means - the act of producing or causing to exist; the act of creating; engendering. Please do not let your previous interaction with theists affect your opinion in this forum.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I've always had a problem with this mode of thinking - that "it closes the mind" and "inspires no one."

The problem is that reality doesn't have to be inspirational. I'm not sure how humanity got it in their heads that "the truth" of our reality has to involve really keen ideas such as afterlives, creators, some cosmic sense of justice, and other inspirational, spiritual, and wonderful epiphanies. That is a human bias, projecting what we WANT into the darkness of our ignorance. I'm just not convinced that it works that way.

Yeah, I know the real world can suck sometimes; it's full of pain, suffering, and loss. It is natural then that we want a grandiose explanation for our existence; we weant it to MEAN something so that all that we endure isn't in vain. Again, though, I'm not convinced there is some grand meaning to our existence - perhaps we're just like any other animal in that our reason to exist is to simply survive.
Honorable mention. Very good comment. I see that many atheists are responding to my post based upon their past experiences with theists. As I told Arequipa “Please do not let your previous interaction with theists affect your opinion in this forum.” I am not evoking any theist theology in my posts. As far as “inspires no one” goes, I am not referring the “Halleluiah! Inspirational!” Gospel definition of “inspire”; think of it in more simple terms like “interest no one”.

Regards

.EL.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:10 PM

39,083 posts, read 10,842,814 times
Quote:
AREQUIPA, I did not mean to confuse you; I am not using the theist definition of creation. Creation simply means - the act of producing or causing to exist; the act of creating; engendering. Please do not let your previous interaction with theists affect your opinion in this forum.
I have to congratulate you There are not many people on this forum who can confuse me.

While I am prepared to kick whatever argument you are making into touch, seeing the argument for atheism as evidentially and logically sound, perhaps you could explain,if there is not some kind of theism involved here, why is it a 'New message for atheists?'

Old 04-26-2014, 12:17 AM

7,945 posts, read 4,741,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I have no problem with humanity being an accidental product of the Big Bang. We are not "nothing," in the sense that we are stardust that happened to organize. While we are alive and sentient, we are humans. When we die, our molecules rearrange. That's it. There is no reason why. We have no purpose but that which we give ourselves.
Same as any eternal god. Where would an eternal god get its purpose if it wasn't created?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or