U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2015, 07:41 PM

13,493 posts, read 5,008,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Nothing to do with what I was talking about.
lmao. I know you didn't know. I was trying to tell you that all the energy in and out is not accounted for. but, don't let facts get in the way of an opinion. nobody else does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 07:49 PM

The data suggest that awareness is caused by the interactions between particles. Many particles. Awareness is like a soup, its characteristics comes from the interactions of the ingredients. area of awareness could be called domains within the volume of the universe. There are no "separate"/isolated domains in th universe, not even on earth. Its all one large set of interactions.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:35 PM

3,438 posts, read 1,260,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .EL. View Post
THE PARENT ENTITY (Summary)

Some atheists depend upon “The Nothing Theory” because they have been traumatized by theist ideology. Just saying, “We come from nothing, we are nothing, and we will be nothing” isn’t good enough. This is a tedious theory that closes your mind and inspires no one. We need a new theory. We need intelligent innovative ideas. We need to extrapolate from what is known to what is unknown.
It is observed that the universe is expanding. Interpolating that in reverse leads to the conclusion that at one time everything in the universe resided in one place. Physicists refer to this condition as a "singularity." As the name implies, at the singularity all things have become one thing. Matter/energy have been squeezed to a condition in which neither space nor time exists. There are no dimensions of up or down, front or back. There is no variation of any kind. To have variation requires something to be different from something else. Absolutely no variation is a perfect way of conceptualizing the condition of nothing.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:09 PM

16,105 posts, read 17,915,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
It is observed that the universe is expanding. Interpolating that in reverse leads to the conclusion that at one time everything in the universe resided in one place. Physicists refer to this condition as a "singularity." As the name implies, at the singularity all things have become one thing. Matter/energy have been squeezed to a condition in which neither space nor time exists. There are no dimensions of up or down, front or back. There is no variation of any kind. To have variation requires something to be different from something else. Absolutely no variation is a perfect way of conceptualizing the condition of nothing.
Interestingly, the universe may NOT be expanding according to a new study. Of course, we don't know this is true, but it is interesting.

Universe is Not Expanding After All, Controversial Study Suggests | Astronomy | Sci-News.com

Old 04-25-2015, 06:26 PM

39,202 posts, read 10,880,280 times
If so Big bang and red-shift would require some new explanation. I await further results - and the rummage through the Bible for OT quotes that prove Moses already knew the universe wasn't expanding, and the usual 'science is always getting things wrong' claim.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:43 PM

3,438 posts, read 1,260,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Interestingly, the universe may NOT be expanding according to a new study. Of course, we don't know this is true, but it is interesting.

Universe is Not Expanding After All, Controversial Study Suggests | Astronomy | Sci-News.com
The possibility that gravitational lensing might result in a false doppler effect reading for galaxies extremely far away has been a kind of dirty little secret among astronomers for some time. The doppler effect being one of the primary tools for studying the universe and all. Nothing should be considered sacrosanct in science, but the assumption that the doppler effect is unfailingly valid is close to being one. According to doppler effect readings, the galaxies furthest away from us are receding at nearly the speed of light. This strains credulity. On the other hand, background radiation that seems to confirm the big bang itself is now easily detected. what is really in question here is not so much that the universe is expanding, but that it is expanding at the rate currently proposed by many astronomers. Time will tell on this question.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:28 AM

39,202 posts, read 10,880,280 times
In anticipation of the: "We told you so! Science doesn't know what it's talking about!" chat. It is right to go with the best evidence but always keep the mind ajar for new discoveries. And these do not disprove everything we ever thought we knew but add to our knowledge. and it may turn out to be a false alarm. maybe the universe IS expanding.

What we can be sure of, the cosmos doesn't have the earth at the centre of it, much less trundling around the inside of a glass dome as per Genesis. So religion can keep its potato -trap closed.

Like the 'skeptics denied powered flight' argument. It is right to doubt claims until there is convincing evidence and even then leave some room for new discovery.

Like there is a god, like it could have made the universe. But right now the evidence just isn't good enough to credit it as a plausible theory, let along life-changing belief.

The Big bang and abiogenesis does have evidence and is a plausible hypothesis, so there is good reason to give those some credibility rather than the god -claim.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:23 AM

The literal person, here literal religion don't get that These "stories" are based on events that are going on now or are recorded in the "stuff" around us. That we tell people to go and "see for themselves" and we say "you decide for yourself." or "We hope you find out we are wrong, that would not only be great for you but us too."

The only answer that makes any sense to me is that they can't see it. They don't get that "science" is a tool like "religion" but different. And that they can use it openly and honesty and it will help them to support their beliefs. Duty, honor, belief. Notice the first two words. Duty and honor. Jesus called words like these 'god". For what he knew, he got the notion right but some of the details (I call traits) wrong.

To me, Jesus was about Using "duty and honor" to help your neighbor and thus yourself... that's good stuff, I don't care what we belief. he is not about "make everybody you meet praise me." nope, thats not him.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:17 PM

3,637 posts, read 2,700,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
lmao. I know you didn't know. I was trying to tell you that all the energy in and out is not accounted for. but, don't let facts get in the way of an opinion. nobody else does.
As I said -not what I was talking about.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:03 PM

40,099 posts, read 26,767,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Broken record! There is evidence of dark energy, monumentus. It is NOT something I made up. It is far more prevalent than the measured energy you are relying on. I didn't make that up either. You cannot know that all energy is accounted for when we can only measure 4% of what exists. We cannot measure what leaves the body upon death . . . but whatever it is . . . it is indisputably GONE. Perfectly functional bodies with no disease or dysfunction die and cannot be resuscitated. Why? What is missing?
Quote:
all of it? Not exactly true, but I get what you mean. I do the "overstating" thang way to much.
Quote:
You said "all". I mean you have one, I am just using one here. a particle that travels through you at a rate of 10,000's per second every second. sorry man, it's just a fact, nothing I can do about it.
Quote:
It is preposterous to claim that ALL the energy is accounted for when we cannot even measure directly more than 4% of what exists. It is a measurement problem . . . NOT a God of the gaps problem. We KNOW the energy exists or the universe would NOT be expanding and at an accelerating rate, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or