U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-27-2015, 03:38 AM
 
3,637 posts, read 2,698,670 times
Reputation: 4300

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is preposterous to claim that ALL the energy is accounted for when we cannot even measure directly more than 4% of what exists.
Much like the comments about evidence existing for Dark Energy - the above is just filler that is not addressing what people are actually debunking you with.

It was you that claimed that some form of energy is being converted into consciousness energy. Yet you have demonstrated neither the existence of "consciousness energy" - nor the consumption or conversion of any energy form in the universe into anything of the sort.

So you appear to be simply making up two kinds of energy - unevidenced and unmeasured - and simply declaring one is converted into the other. It is indeed a measurement problem as you say - the problem being you have not once measured any of the things you are claiming. It is God Of the Gaps from head to tow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-27-2015, 04:03 AM
 
39,133 posts, read 10,857,554 times
Reputation: 5089
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is preposterous to claim that ALL the energy is accounted for when we cannot even measure directly more than 4% of what exists. It is a measurement problem . . . NOT a God of the gaps problem. We KNOW the energy exists or the universe would NOT be expanding and at an accelerating rate, period.
We know about energy. We know about the evidence for dark matter and dark energy. We know that there is a lot we don't know. None of this does a single thing to make your faith -based theory credible. Monumentus is right. It is based ...-well; on faith of course...but the hypothesis is based entirely on the argument that what we can't explain yet - and maybe not ever - must be "God". It absolutely is a god of the gaps hypothesis, Sorry.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 04-27-2015 at 04:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 04:40 AM
 
Location: Florida
19,814 posts, read 19,910,927 times
Reputation: 23221
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
We know about energy. We know about the evidence for dark matter and dark energy. We know that there is a lot we don't know. None of this does a single thing to make your faith -based theory credible. Monumentus is right. It is based ...-well; on faith of course...but the argument is based entirely on the argument that what we can't explain yet - and maybe not ever - must be "God". It absolutely is a god of the gaps hypothesis, Sorry.
All these posts from Mystic 'defending' his god of the gaps claims as proof of a god.....doesn't this count as proselytizing just as much as claims from any other believer?
Does this constant posting about his proofs of a god belong in the Atheist forum?
As much as you desire to divorce yourself from those "other" Christians that you so disparage, you and your god beliefs, whether shielding them behind arguments about energy or not, aren't special, Mystic.
If you claim this is purely scientific and not pushing your beliefs, then maybe the Science forum is where you should go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 04:54 AM
 
13,493 posts, read 5,001,803 times
Reputation: 1365
for what they didn't know 6000 years ago they pretty much nailed it. I mean dust to man? That's perfect. Some animated force assembled the pieces? wow, amazing. Yep, they got some of the characteristics wrong. so what. Cairo didn't have an official trash collection system until somewhere around 2000. That's waye more stupider than what the bible says about creation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 05:04 AM
 
13,493 posts, read 5,001,803 times
Reputation: 1365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
The possibility that gravitational lensing might result in a false doppler effect reading for galaxies extremely far away has been a kind of dirty little secret among astronomers for some time. The doppler effect being one of the primary tools for studying the universe and all. Nothing should be considered sacrosanct in science, but the assumption that the doppler effect is unfailingly valid is close to being one. According to doppler effect readings, the galaxies furthest away from us are receding at nearly the speed of light. This strains credulity. On the other hand, background radiation that seems to confirm the big bang itself is now easily detected. what is really in question here is not so much that the universe is expanding, but that it is expanding at the rate currently proposed by many astronomers. Time will tell on this question.
that is right.

With the strands of the webs collapsing toward the center the illusion of a faster than expected acceleration could be produce. Image holding your two fingers together side by side. Think about the skin of both fingers accelerating toward their respective bones. To a point on the skin, things look like they are accelerating away faster than what is actually happening overall. And the illusion of a big rip becomes a valid claim. But not a certain one.

In the future, the webs themselves could collapse onto each other. People just have no idea what they don't know. But what confounds me is how certain they are making claims with the little information they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 06:31 AM
 
Location: Northeastern US
14,197 posts, read 9,087,623 times
Reputation: 6081
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
It is God Of the Gaps from head to tow.
And toe, too ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 06:39 AM
 
39,133 posts, read 10,857,554 times
Reputation: 5089
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
All these posts from Mystic 'defending' his god of the gaps claims as proof of a god.....doesn't this count as proselytizing just as much as claims from any other believer?
Does this constant posting about his proofs of a god belong in the Atheist forum?
As much as you desire to divorce yourself from those "other" Christians that you so disparage, you and your god beliefs, whether shielding them behind arguments about energy or not, aren't special, Mystic.
If you claim this is purely scientific and not pushing your beliefs, then maybe the Science forum is where you should go.
Well..Mystic is not so much peddling religion, but questioning atheism. He has always asked pertinent questions of atheism and we always ought to be open to questions. However, if the mods feel it is crossing the line, they will say so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 07:25 AM
 
13,493 posts, read 5,001,803 times
Reputation: 1365
to me, Mystic is just trying to figure out something about the something. I don't agree with the approach from the fundamental side but somebody has to look from all sides or every angle. If for nothing else we can rule it less likely based on what we know.

atheist is only anti- theist. I don't believe in their god. But when we are answering if there is or is not "something" it becomes a different battle. atheist vs. theist are belief systems pitted against one another. "belief" here meaning blind faith statements. It's an emotional tug of war more than reality for most people I see. The logical stance(using the science data) shows "something" is far more probable than "nothing" . Not a lot we can on the logical side of that claim. I mean we can play shell games and blatant dismissals' type tactics, but they just expose personal emotional needs really. Thiest do employ them all the time when pressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Florida
19,814 posts, read 19,910,927 times
Reputation: 23221
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Well..Mystic is not so much peddling religion, but questioning atheism. He has always asked pertinent questions of atheism and we always ought to be open to questions. However, if the mods feel it is crossing the line, they will say so.

Questioning atheism?
It appears that he has no doubt and all he does is try to convince others that his absolute sureness of a god has scientific backing and that we should accept his reasoning.
It may not be the typical kind and leeway has been given but the attempt is the same...to convince us we're wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Divided Tribes of America
13,715 posts, read 5,527,190 times
Reputation: 5388
My goodness, is MysticPhD still peddling the "dark matter = God" hypothesis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top