Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2015, 01:15 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,696,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
It was an analogy...
Looks like someone was being overly literal and didn't understand the philosophical implications of your post. Heh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 01:19 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,696,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Here's a web site that uses Deepak's phrases and terminology to generate random sentences of "wisdom" in the form of fake Deepak Chopra quotes.

Random Deepak Chopra Quote Generator - Wisdom of Chopra
Yep. Computers are pretty good at putting together what are essentially mad-libs of random phrases stuffed together into barely-connected paragraphs. That such output matches the style of certain posters is not surprising to anyone who has been around here for a while, I'd imagine.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:14 PM

18,435 posts, read 9,056,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Yep. Computers are pretty good at putting together what are essentially mad-libs of random phrases stuffed together into barely-connected paragraphs. That such output matches the style of certain posters is not surprising to anyone who has been around here for a while, I'd imagine.
Love it!

Last edited by Freak80; 01-30-2015 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: KC already linked to the New Age BS Generator

Old 01-30-2015, 02:23 PM

RationalWiki has an article devoted to Quantum Mysticism: Quantum Woo -RationalWiki

Old 01-30-2015, 03:21 PM

10,492 posts, read 6,105,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Here's a web site that uses Deepak's phrases and terminology to generate random sentences of "wisdom" in the form of fake Deepak Chopra quotes.

Random Deepak Chopra Quote Generator - Wisdom of Chopra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
RationalWiki has an article devoted to Quantum Mysticism: Quantum Woo -RationalWiki

Cried laughing.
Quote:
Some have turned quantum woo into a career, such as Deepak Chopra, who often presents ill-defined concepts of quantum physics as proof for God and other magical thinking.
Chopra should make this the title of his next book;

'Deepak Chopra
Quantum Woo'

LOL

Old 01-30-2015, 04:12 PM

63,461 posts, read 39,726,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
QEDI am NOT Deepak Chopra and have no desire to bamboozle anyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
It was an analogy...
-NoCapo
Hahahaha . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Looks like someone was being overly literal and didn't understand the philosophical implications of your post. Heh...
Touche'

Old 01-31-2015, 01:38 AM

50,081 posts, read 20,507,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
QEDI am NOT Deepak Chopra and have no desire to bamboozle anyone.
Of course you don't, no more than Creationists have a desire to bamboozle anyone. They only want to impart the truth they know through faith to those too blinkered to see it. That the arguments they use turn out to be incorrect or at least without any sound evidence to support them nevertheless adds up to an effort to bamboozle their listeners, though that was never their intention (or I am willing to believe that of the majority of them, at any rate).

So I believer that you are sincere, but your arguments don't in fact seem to have any more substance that Deepak's, if you argue that using incorrect physics just as an analogy to indicate a purported greater reality.

At best it makes it a belief without any sound evidence rather than a hypothesis based on wrong evidence.
And before you start stiffing and blinding, I should point out that it doesn't impress that (so it seems) you initially denied that your physics was wrong at all and now you seem to be saying that it wasn't intended to be right but just an analogy of some sort of reality beyond physics.

Deepakism, is what it sounds like.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:08 AM

19,769 posts, read 13,299,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
So I believe that you are sincere, but your arguments don't in fact seem to have any more substance that Deepak's, if you argue that using incorrect physics just as an analogy to indicate a purported greater reality.
I doubt neither Mystic's sincerity, nor that he 's sincerely wrong.

I've seen Deepak's enormous ego on full display in a number of disgusting ways, though, which make me doubt HIS sincerity and make me unwilling to equate Mystic the person with Deepak the person ... so to be clear, the analogy (ahem) here is between the beliefs and the rationale for them, not between the persons.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:48 AM

Why am I spending time on this forum when I could be out in the world selling woo to gullible "spiritual" folks?

Old 01-31-2015, 09:14 AM

50,081 posts, read 20,507,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Why am I spending time on this forum when I could be out in the world selling woo to gullible "spiritual" folks?
Because you are an atheist and the truth is important?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism