U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 08:30 PM

43 posts, read 39,809 times

Advertisements

THE PARENT ENTITY (Summary)

Maybe there’s an explanation beyond religion and atheist theory. The problem with current beliefs is that they are not observable in nature. Life is not created by supernatural gods or inorganic objects. We need a theory that follows the laws of nature.

Some atheists depend upon “The Nothing Theory” because they have been traumatized by theist ideology. Just saying, “We come from nothing, we are nothing, and we will be nothing” isn’t good enough. This is a tedious theory that closes your mind and inspires no one. We need a new theory. We need intelligent innovative ideas. We need to extrapolate from what is known to what is unknown.

Conclusion: Life begins through conception and birth. This planet is the seed from which life grows; another entity is the source from which life on this planet originates. This entity is a parent of life on this planet. Born of this world we are left alone on this planet to grow and evolve. Creation is a natural process. Creation and evolution are synergetic. We were created to evolve.

Please read the complete version CLICK HERE. IAI (I Assume Intelligence) – IAI the reader of this material. Please leave comments and questions that perpetuate knowledge and understanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 08:35 PM

1,484 posts, read 1,222,188 times
atheists never said we came from nothing

Old 04-19-2014, 08:54 PM

3,404 posts, read 2,250,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .EL. View Post

Please read the complete version CLICK HERE. IAI (I Assume Intelligence) – IAI the reader of this material. Please leave comments and questions that perpetuate knowledge and understanding.
Your idea is, quite frankly, nothing new. You essentially are trying to find an alternative to materialism, and just wind up with some sort of halfway deism, based on what appears to be a very faulty understanding of evolutionary theory.

If you want serious critique of your ideas, I would suggest two things: try to distill the essence of what you have to say into a series of smaller points, and post the entire thing in the thread. Trying to quote and really dig into a post on another part of City-Data is just a pain, and makes it not worth the effort...

-NoCapo

Old 04-19-2014, 09:41 PM

39,083 posts, read 10,842,814 times
I agree-it's not a new argument, and like the old ones, it is fallacious. Not because it is provably wrong, but it asks us to assume givens (we were created to evolve) without their being given any basis for substantiation. We do not know whether we were 'created' or not, but we do know that we evolved, if the evidence for that counts for anything, so that is the preferred theory.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:56 AM

5,846 posts, read 3,355,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .EL. View Post
This is a tedious theory that closes your mind and inspires no one. We need a new theory. We need intelligent innovative ideas. We need to extrapolate from what is known to what is unknown.
I've always had a problem with this mode of thinking - that "it closes the mind" and "inspires no one."

The problem is that reality doesn't have to be inspirational. I'm not sure how humanity got it in their heads that "the truth" of our reality has to involve really keen ideas such as afterlives, creators, some cosmic sense of justice, and other inspirational, spiritual, and wonderful epiphanies. That is a human bias, projecting what we WANT into the darkness of our ignorance. I'm just not convinced that it works that way.

Yeah, I know the real world can suck sometimes; it's full of pain, suffering, and loss. It is natural then that we want a grandiose explanation for our existence; we weant it to MEAN something so that all that we endure isn't in vain. Again, though, I'm not convinced there is some grand meaning to our existence - perhaps we're just like any other animal in that our reason to exist is to simply survive.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:00 AM

8,791 posts, read 5,657,462 times
Do atheists really need a reason? Can't "I don't believe" be good enough without having to cobble up some back story or raison d'ętre.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:12 AM

12,540 posts, read 12,527,052 times
I have no problem with humanity being an accidental product of the Big Bang. We are not "nothing," in the sense that we are stardust that happened to organize. While we are alive and sentient, we are humans. When we die, our molecules rearrange. That's it. There is no reason why. We have no purpose but that which we give ourselves.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:13 AM

11,182 posts, read 10,999,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I have no problem with humanity being an accidental product of the Big Bang. We are not "nothing," in the sense that we are stardust that happened to organize. While we are alive and sentient, we are humans. When we die, our molecules rearrange. That's it. There is no reason why. We have no purpose but that which we give ourselves.
Makes sense to me. No reason to make things more complicated than they need to be.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:40 PM

5,426 posts, read 5,729,081 times
"It just kind of turned out this way. "

That's my non-explanation for the existence of everything.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:41 PM

39,083 posts, read 10,842,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Do atheists really need a reason? Can't "I don't believe" be good enough without having to cobble up some back story or raison d'ętre.
It is, for many of us. For many others, however, it is important that we have good sound reasons for what we believe - or do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or