U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 07:53 AM

12,540 posts, read 12,559,190 times

Advertisements

America's Less Religious: Study Puts Some Blame On The Internet : All Tech Considered : NPR

Gee, more knowledge and education lead to less superstition? You don't say.

P.S. Try not to blow a gasket over the NPR headline. I think "gives some credit to" would be a better way of phrasing it than "puts some blame on," myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 10:30 AM

39,302 posts, read 10,946,230 times
As soon as I came across Atheist sites like those of Farrell Till and Cliff Walker, I knew that there was an outlet that simply hadn't been there before.

If the Atheist Avalanche is really happening, the Internet is the biggest single weapon put into the hellspawned hands of the legions of the damnable.

Let's hear it for the Internet.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:31 AM

12,540 posts, read 12,559,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
As soon as I came across Atheist sites like those of Farrell Till and Cliff walker, I knew that there was an outlet that simply hadn't been there before.

If the Atheist Avalanche is really happening, the Internet is the biggest single weapon put into the hellspawned hands of the legions of the damnable.

Let's hear it for the Internet.
Cheers!

Old 04-22-2014, 10:52 AM

8,983 posts, read 6,519,276 times
Still have a very long way to go.

I haven't noticed any difference at all, since the internet or even lately. I only know one other real life open atheist that I have in person contact with.
As previously mentioned we are in a LDR.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:22 PM

5,846 posts, read 3,366,055 times
Why did they use the term "blame" in the title - as if becoming less religious is akin to breaking a rule or making a big mistake. Who wrote that article anyway? Because the title itself is rather biased.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:15 PM

I don't know...having read up on Elise Hu. I would guess that, it being America, if she had written: 'Internet gets credit for decline in religiosity' the editor would have done his job with a blue pencil and sent her a memo.

That said, I will gladly permit them their 'Take' on the story, as we goddless bastards may be permitted a Hi 5 or two.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:00 PM

1,463 posts, read 1,374,682 times
Definitely. As recently as the mid-90's, if you wanted contrary opinion, you had to go do research yourself. Browse the nonbelievers' books in the library or bookstore, if they even carried them.

It saves a ton of time having a massive "Biblical Contradictions" website at the tips of your fingers.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:16 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,714,682 times
Quote:
Still have a very long way to go.
Kind of agree on that.

When I see Ingmar's 'The Seventh Seal ' bumping out the 10 Commandents or the Robe or Quo Vadis on cable or broadcast schedules on Easter Sunday then I'll know there's a little forceful touch of an atheistic zeitgeist breezing its way through our for the most part Judeo-Christian setup around these parts.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:19 AM

My brother in law once told me an anecdote.

In Soviet Russia during the Easter festival, there was a debate between the soviet atheists and the Orthodox church. The Atheists went first, explaining at length and in detail why the Resurrection story could not be fact and that there was no credible reason to believe that Jesus has resurrected.

Then it was the turn of the Priest.

'Christ is risen!' he said

and the entire audience replied: 'He is risen indeed!'

A good 'atheist -stumper' and I have often thought about it. Anecdotal or not, it makes a point which our pal Gldrule has mooted-whatever the rationale, you cannot overcome the need. desire and preference of people for religion.

Well, we shall see. It certainly is not going to shut us up. Putting on old appropriate religious films at festival times does not persuade me that people will always believe. Neither does the argument that the Bible is the best - selling book translated into more languages than any other.

Constantly bombarding people with propaganda, neat or dressed up as entertainment, will not, as the religious fondly believe, brainwash the public.

I believe in humanity. I believe that, at best they are going to want to believe what is evidently true and, even if they do watch Ben Hur and the Robe and the Bible and the Passion of St Mel, they no more believe it than in Clash of the Titans or Flash Gordon.

At worst, if they are given a good reason to use Sunday for a Barby or bowling rather than sit is church and listen to some bore droning on, and not feel that they are doing something wrong, they will grab it with both paws.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:12 AM

638 posts, read 479,195 times
So, say we topple Christianity. Can we be sure that some other pernicious belief system doesn't fill the vacuum it left behind?

Homo sapiens is biologically wired with an inclination toward religious belief.

I think it would take more than just the internet to cure humankind of the God Delusion.

Maybe I'm just a pessimist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism