U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 11:02 AM

102 posts, read 108,266 times

Advertisements

So, I live in Columbia, SC near Congaree National Park (which is an awesome place), and just this week, a man and his two young kids were lost in the park for 3 nights. Anyways, they were eventually found safe and in good health.

As you can imagine, the city was pretty hysterical while these people were missing. So of course, when this family was finally located and saved, social media was quick to give thanks; not to the 100 rescuers, though, but to God and all of his mercy. It just blows my mind how idiotic that sounds!

Where was he at during the landslide which was, you know, an actual natural disaster? Ughh... frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 11:45 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,097,133 times
It happens. People are literally afraid to give credit to mere humans lest a jealous god be offended at their impertinence. Yet the same god does not want any responsibility for situations such as if those people had not been found alive and well.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:55 AM

983 posts, read 1,430,996 times
Agreed. One of my acquaintance's mom was declared cancer free (which is awesome). The person put up a Facebook status though thanking god and everyone for the prayers. Nothing about the doctors, nurses, etc. I'm really glad her mom is cancer free, but it's kind of sad that she didn't thank them.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post
Agreed. One of my acquaintance's mom was declared cancer free (which is awesome). The person put up a Facebook status though thanking god and everyone for the prayers. Nothing about the doctors, nurses, etc. I'm really glad her mom is cancer free, but it's kind of sad that she didn't thank them.
Well, to be fair, she probably did thank them at least to an extent, and they are probably not that aware of (nor necessarily even disapproving of) her FaceBook fulminations. These are rituals that people go through to appease the jealous god, and while it is true that full credit never seems to go where it is truly earned, I doubt that many of those people have been socialized to be comfortable with the praise and accolades they actually deserve, either.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:19 PM

2,384 posts, read 1,560,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It happens. People are literally afraid to give credit to mere humans lest a jealous god be offended at their impertinence. Yet the same god does not want any responsibility for situations such as if those people had not been found alive and well.
I like this, the bolded part especially.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:20 PM

2,384 posts, read 1,560,398 times
Quote:
That reminds me of a cartoon where a doctor is inthe operating room over a patient, saying he'll put the tumor back if the family thanks god!

Old 05-01-2014, 02:23 PM

48 posts, read 40,937 times
Quote:
doctors and nurses have their gifts that were given by God. Thank God.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:26 PM

16,105 posts, read 17,923,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventura23 View Post
Doctors and nurse study and work hard. It's not a talent or gift at all.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:04 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,012,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventura23 View Post
Awfully big coincidence that God started healing cancer at much higher rates as humans applied the scientific method to curing the disease.

God would never have needed to use health care professionals or medicine to cure cancer. In fact, using humans only muddies the waters in terms of who's doing the healing.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Doctors and nurse study and work hard. It's not a talent or gift at all.
Some find the work and the study easier and/or more intuitive than others. Some are better at it. There IS native talent and aptitude involved in excelling at any work. The false notion is not that people have special abilities, but that they are specifically engineered, bestowed, installed and/or sustained by invisible divinities.

People deserve credit for using their aptitudes and abilities to the fullest extent, no matter how humble or impressive those aptitudes and abilities may be. What abilities they have is the luck of the draw, ultimately, but what they do to waste or leverage them is both their responsibility and to their credit or detriment.

This is another perfect example of how religion takes something that exists in the real world -- in this case personal strengths -- and hijacks them for god by claiming that they are more than what they actually are, they are on loan from god and would not exist without him. They are ever inventing reasons why we need god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism