U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-10-2007, 02:12 PM
 
636 posts, read 2,092,236 times
Reputation: 271

Advertisements

Are people finally fed up? It certainly seems like it to me, at least among westerners.

Or is it just that atheists and agnostics feel that it is becoming more acceptable for them to come out of the proverbial closet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-10-2007, 02:20 PM
 
2,955 posts, read 6,743,612 times
Reputation: 1928
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post
Are people finally fed up? It certainly seems like it to me, at least among westerners.

Or is it just that atheists and agnostics feel that it is becoming more acceptable for them to come out of the proverbial closet?
My guess is that both are happening simultaneously.

I think your second point is most true, though. I don't think that there are significantly more atheists and agnostics now than ever before. It's just more acceptable and they are coming out of the closet in greater numbers.

When/if Iran gets a more open-minded president, will Iran suddenly have a gay population (because, as he states, there are no gays in Iran currently) or will existing Iranian gays become open and visible because they will be less persecuted than they would be now?
It's the same idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2007, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
919 posts, read 2,910,043 times
Reputation: 252
Good topic MorningGlory..I am sure many had reevaluated their beliefs and morals due to the war of insanity that is going on now....however I had come to this crossroad in my life due to my abusers telling me that GOD was on their side cause they went to church and I didn't...then when you really dig into the history of religion, like I have, you begin to see corruption.

I have pretty much flipped everything lately of what I believe to be true, its upside so to speak here, what I thought was evil I am thinking isn't and what is good, or trys to protray goodness, stinks to high heaven these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2007, 02:26 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,800,908 times
Reputation: 1573
Quote:
I have pretty much flipped everything lately of what I believe to be true, its upside so to speak here, what I thought was evil I am thinking isn't and what is good, or trys to protray goodness, stinks to high heaven these days.
True, these things can happen when you finally seek the truth on your own.
But in the end things will settle down and you'll have learned to recognise which is which.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2007, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
6,715 posts, read 12,273,104 times
Reputation: 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
My guess is that both are happening simultaneously.

I think your second point is most true, though. I don't think that there are significantly more atheists and agnostics now than ever before. It's just more acceptable and they are coming out of the closet in greater numbers.

When/if Iran gets a more open-minded president, will Iran suddenly have a gay population (because, as he states, there are no gays in Iran currently) or will existing Iranian gays become open and visible because they will be less persecuted than they would be now?
It's the same idea.
I agree. Point well made. I'll try to rep you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2007, 02:54 PM
 
636 posts, read 2,092,236 times
Reputation: 271
OK, why cant I figure out the quoting multiple posts in one response thing?

Oh well. I have wondered the same about Iran, about both gays and about Islam . I have a friend whose family came to the US from Iran, he is a gay atheist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2007, 02:59 PM
 
636 posts, read 2,092,236 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharbour View Post
...then when you really dig into the history of religion, like I have, you begin to see corruption.
I started really studying religions and their history as a teenager, and WOW does it change your worldview. You do have to reevaluate everything you have been conditioned to think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2007, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
6,715 posts, read 12,273,104 times
Reputation: 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post
OK, why cant I figure out the quoting multiple posts in one response thing?

Oh well. I have wondered the same about Iran, about both gays and about Islam . I have a friend whose family came to the US from Iran, he is a gay atheist.
Yeah it's kind of a pain, I must admit I screw it up all the time. I'll try to explain it. I'll quote Your first sentence and then your second sentence. When you hit "quote" the first thing that pops up is the person you are quoting's paragraph. In front of that is something that will look like this:

[quote=MorningGlory;2217390]

What I usually do is copy that entire part (the brackets at the beginning and end are very important). Then I erase everything but the part I am trying to quote. Then you have to put an "end-quote" on the end of it. In other words you have to put: [/quoote].

I mispelled quote intentionally otherwise it would have quoted you as having said my explanation. So, in order for me to quote your first sentence I will first paste this:

[quote=MorningGlory;2217390]

Then I will copy and paste the part I am trying to quote. So it will go like this:

[quote=MorningGlory;2217390]

OK, why cant I figure out the quoting multiple posts in one response thing?


Then, I will put an end quote at the end of your sentence. So, the script will look like this:

[quote=MorningGlory;2217390]

OK, why cant I figure out the quoting multiple posts in one response thing?

[/quoote]

I hope you understand how to do it now. You have no idea how hard it is to try and explain that via a keyboard. I hope I cleared it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2007, 03:19 PM
 
636 posts, read 2,092,236 times
Reputation: 271
[quote=GCSTroop;2217494]Yeah it's kind of a pain, I must admit I screw it up all the time. I'll try to explain it. I'll quote Your first sentence and then your second sentence. When you hit "quote" the first thing that pops up is the person you are quoting's paragraph. In front of that is something that will look like this:

[quote=MorningGlory;2217390]

What I usually do is copy that entire part (the brackets at the beginning and end are very important). Then I erase everything but the part I am trying to quote. Then you have to put an "end-quote" on the end of it. In other words you have to put: [/quoote].

I mispelled quote intentionally otherwise it would have quoted you as having said my explanation. So, in order for me to quote your first sentence I will first paste this:

[quote=MorningGlory;2217390]

Then I will copy and paste the part I am trying to quote. So it will go like this:

[quote=MorningGlory;2217390]

OK, why cant I figure out the quoting multiple posts in one response thing?


Then, I will put an end quote at the end of your sentence. So, the script will look like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post

OK, why cant I figure out the quoting multiple posts in one response thing?

[/quoote]

I hope you understand how to do it now. You have no idea how hard it is to try and explain that via a keyboard. I hope I cleared it up.
Thanks GTSTroop! But have you noticed that some people manage to quote two people at a time? Like I could quote you, respond, then quote TrickyD and respond, all in one post? Can you do that? Can ya? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2007, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
6,715 posts, read 12,273,104 times
Reputation: 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post

Thanks GTSTroop! But have you noticed that some people manage to quote two people at a time? Like I could quote you, respond, then quote TrickyD and respond, all in one post? Can you do that? Can ya? LOL

Hmm... let me see....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharbour



Good topic MorningGlory..I am sure many had reevaluated their beliefs and morals due to the war of insanity that is going on now....
Let's see if it works.....



Edit: Neener Neener Booboo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top