U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-08-2014, 06:55 AM
 
Location: Greenbelt, MD
8,964 posts, read 6,500,939 times
Reputation: 44359

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Actually, I am setting him up to attend MIT or Georgetown. Who knows, some day my son may invent the next cure for cancer of find a way to terraform Mars for human habitation.

All this while your kids are praying and grovelling "Oh please god help us"

I am teaching my kids to work and make a difference in the world, to do good with their pompous BS....what good are you teaching your kids at a parochial school?
You do know Georgetown University is a Catholic school, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-08-2014, 08:39 AM
 
17,966 posts, read 12,936,712 times
Reputation: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
My son is 5 years old. Ever since he was born I have been asking myself how I am going to educate him in regard to religion...My wife's side of the family are fairly Catholic. My mother-in-law had my son baptized when he was a baby (I did not protest). Well, I had finally decided that what I would tell my son regarding "God" would be that I would just avoid the subject and/or "play it off" like I was a believer when the subject came up...

Well, today, for the first time ever, my son started asking me questions about God. I just couldn't make myself betray my son by feeding him lies. I told him the truth, that God, "is not real"; and I explained that some people believe very strongly that God does exist but that my personal belief which I feel to be true is that God does not exist.

Well, he was okay with it. He said, "Okay, God isn't real. Only Santa Claus is real and he is the one that takes care of us, right?" So, I had already broken the news to him about God (the big lie), so I broke the news to him about Santa Claus as well. I told him that Santa Claus is not real either and that the presents are from me and my wife. I told him that the only people that will "take care of us", are us; and that is why we must be good people and value and appreciate each other and our families. He seemed very understanding and none of it seemed to upset him the slightest.

Long story short, did I just mess up?? Should I have let the facade carried on for years??

What do you think? How have you handled raising children being an Atheist? Please just share some thoughts on this topic because it has really been bothering me....

Since you don't really, absolutely, unequivocally know God does not exist, I think you are basically lying to your son in saying God does not exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2014, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Rivendell
1,387 posts, read 2,166,698 times
Reputation: 1650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Since you don't really, absolutely, unequivocally know God does not exist, I think you are basically lying to your son in saying God does not exist.
Since you have been told repeatedly that very few atheists "don't really, absolutely, unequivocally know God does not exist" then you are basically lying to us.
Do you not tell your own children that god exists? Since "you don't really, absolutely, unequivocally know God does exist" you are lying to your children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2014, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Texas
43,562 posts, read 52,689,396 times
Reputation: 70834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Statistics say that the least religious nation-state might be China. However, given their traditions and whatnot, many of which are prevalent to this day, I assume Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark) is the least, uh, superstitious. I'd be curious to know what the average Swedish 7-year-old knows/thinks about life. France, Czech Republic, Estonia are up there for atheism according to the one EuroBarometer poll that Wikipedia uses as its reference point, so I'd be curious to know about those societies as well, as for what the kids think these days.
What about the 1.1 billion people in India...?
You think Santa, the Tooth Fairy, etc, are big there?
And before you try to rattle off some nonsense, I can tell you as an Indian person that there are no expectations of current manifestations of deities/etc wandering the earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2014, 12:17 PM
 
17,966 posts, read 12,936,712 times
Reputation: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
Since you have been told repeatedly that very few atheists "don't really, absolutely, unequivocally know God does not exist" then you are basically lying to us.
Do you not tell your own children that god exists? Since "you don't really, absolutely, unequivocally know God does exist" you are lying to your children.
Dear Sizzly Friddle, the person asked if he did the right thing. I gave him my opinion which I am allowed to do. I didn't lie about anything. He doesn't really know if God does not exist. He just has an opinion God does not exist. It would have been better for him to tell his son: "Look son, some people believe God exists and some don't. I personally have not found proof of His existence. If you want to believe in Him I'm cool with that. If not, I'm cool with that too." But for him to make a pronouncement to a little child that God does not exist, is in my opinion manipulative and wrong.

My daughter already knew God exists
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2014, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there.
6,864 posts, read 3,787,690 times
Reputation: 4594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Dear Sizzly Friddle, the person asked if he did the right thing. I gave him my opinion which I am allowed to do. I didn't lie about anything. He doesn't really know if God does not exist. He just has an opinion God does not exist. It would have been better for him to tell his son: "Look son, some people believe God exists and some don't. I personally have not found proof of His existence. If you want to believe in Him I'm cool with that. If not, I'm cool with that too." But for him to make a pronouncement to a little child that God does not exist, is in my opinion manipulative and wrong.

My daughter already knew God exists
Your daughter no more knows whether god exists than you do.

The OP did not lie.

Did you not read what he wrote? :
Quote:
I told him the truth, that God, "is not real"; and I explained that some people believe very strongly that God does exist but that my personal belief which I feel to be true is that God does not exist.
The OP, to the best of his ability explained what he believed to be the truth.
And Santa was a fair comparison. That's not lying.


........

My own personal opinion on this is that fairytales are part of childhood. They can be fun and can be detached from what we believe as adults. Our family still do the Easter bunny thing for example. At least in my case I think it's something you naturally grow out of... but then I wasn't brought up in America, so it's a tricky one.

My son decided god didn't exist before he decided santa didn't exist - that was when he was about 8 - he is now 12. He was attending a church school at the time (all schools in the UK are essentially church schools). Strangely my kids have never asked me directly what I believe, although we have had discussions about religion. They just have never asked me and I wanted them to make up their own minds. I always tackle conversations with: "some people believe..."

When the day comes that they ask me outright what I believe I will tell them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2014, 01:49 PM
 
17,966 posts, read 12,936,712 times
Reputation: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Your daughter no more knows whether god exists than you do.
Quote:
My son decided god didn't exist before he decided santa didn't exist
My daughter knew God existed and your son decided God did not exist.

I believe that's a tie in favor of God existing

Your son no more knows whether God does not exist than you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2014, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there.
6,864 posts, read 3,787,690 times
Reputation: 4594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
My daughter knew God existed and your son decided God did not exist.

I believe that's a tie in favor of God existing

Your son no more knows whether God does not exist than you do.
Okay I will go with that, except in the interest of fairness, let's just make that just a little bit more accurate:

"Your daughter knew god existed and my son knew that god did not exist.

I believe that's a tie in favor of whether god exists or not. "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2014, 02:01 PM
 
17,966 posts, read 12,936,712 times
Reputation: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Okay I will go with that, except in the interest of fairness, let's just make that just a little bit more accurate:

"Your daughter knew god existed and my son knew that god did not exist.

I believe that's a tie in favor of whether god exists or not. "
But, but, but,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2014, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, Calif.
2,435 posts, read 2,845,232 times
Reputation: 2581
I wonder what you will say when he someday requests proof. And a loved one dying or the badness in society will not be valid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top