U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 06:17 AM

2,441 posts, read 1,940,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I don't think I "have it all figured out".

However, I can figure out the whole "God is a fairy tale" bit just as I can figure out the "Zeus doesn't exist" and "leprechauns are myths" bits.

There's a vast chasm between claiming to have it "all figured out" and not believing in a deity - and the fact that some people claim that their favorite version of a deity is the one responsible for "it all" doesn't change that.
I too am smart enough to know I shouldn't try to go downstairs by throwing myself out the window, while not smart enough to derive the universal gravitational constant from first principles.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:27 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,087,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I'm not smart enough on my own to figure it out.
If you've chosen to believe that, you are simply abrogating your personal responsibility to think your own thoughts and make (and take ownership of) your own decisions.

I doubt you are suggesting that you are especially dim, but rather, that no one can answer existential questions. In a way, you are right, IF your objective is to have a definitive answer and total certainty about it. If, on the other hand, your objective is to have an HONEST answer, no matter what it is, including "I don't know", and to respond appropriately about questions for which there is not good data / evidence to form a definitive conclusion (that is, withhold belief unless and until that situation changes), then you are just hiding behind ignorance as an excuse to avoid personal responsibility for your own thoughts.

What you are really saying here is that it's intolerable to not have a black and white answer to the Great Questions. The truth is, it may be, depending on your personality and perspective, uncomfortable to not have a black and white answer, but it's eminently tolerable, as millions of people all over the world, myself included, can testify.

I can't prove or disprove god, and neither can you. That statement applies doubly (at least!) to specific gods, such as yours. The question is, do you buy someone else's prefabricated ideas and assertions about god, or do you examine the evidence (or lack thereof) for yourself, no matter what conclusions you are then obliged to make?

Old 05-09-2014, 02:24 PM

4,395 posts, read 3,563,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
I too am smart enough to know I shouldn't try to go downstairs by throwing myself out the window, while not smart enough to derive the universal gravitational constant from first principles.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:21 PM

561 posts, read 1,033,927 times
I absolutely agree. I'm highly doubtful human are capable of understanding the ultimate cause of existence. Because every human that has ever lived has never experienced true nothingness, how can anyone possibly truly understand nothingness? We're physical beings; that is, we exist in space and time, so it seems reasonable to think we're only capable of understanding other physical things that exist in space and time. If there is some kind of eternal 'being' that transcends the limits of space/time, it would seem impossible for us to have any way of perceiving or even remotely comprehending it.

It seems more intellectually honest and mature to acknowledge that there are some things humans are probably incapable of knowing rather than resorting to elaborate, fantastical explanations. So while I acknowledge that I can't know for certain if god does or does not exist, since no one has presented me with any direct evidence I'm living under the premise that it does not. I could certainly be wrong, but I doubt I'll ever know either way.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:37 PM

4,573 posts, read 4,440,464 times
I
Quote:
I'm not smart enough on my own to figure it out. God has taught me about Himself. He has given me the knowledge I have of His ways, His salvation, His love and Grace in Christ Jesus.
I'm pretty sure it was other humans who told you what they believe about a god, and you chose to believe similarly.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:03 PM

4,487 posts, read 4,369,466 times
Quote:
I'm not smart enough on my own to figure it out. God has taught me about Himself. He has given me the knowledge I have of His ways, His salvation, His love and Grace in Christ Jesus.
My non corporeal, non interacting, invisible deity has taught me about Himself.

^sounds life textbook mental illness to me. No offense.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:15 PM

41,000 posts, read 18,578,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
My non corporeal, non interacting, invisible deity has taught me about Himself.
Mine started to, but then got into an argument with my imaginary friend and stormed out.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:43 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,640,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieBean View Post
I know the question sounds like an insult but I don't mean it to be. I am really wondering this question. I don't think humans are smart enough to have it all figured out so I don't understand how anyone can say with conviction that they are a believer or an atheist. I understand that in the first case, faith is what makes people believe; but I am not talking about faith here. I am just talking about this:

at the end of the day, why is it not just easier to say "I am too stupid to really get the full picture since I don't have the IQ to conceptualize what the whole world is about" than to go to all these lengths questioning belief or lack thereof.

At the end of the day I just feel like living my life and either have a pleasant surprise or nothing.
Any one out there think like me?
I am a Atheist, I don't over think it. I just am. You shouldn't over think it either.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:47 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,640,542 times
Quote:
OR you're just going along with what the other puppets TOLD you to believe because they think it's right.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:20 PM

561 posts, read 1,033,927 times
Quote:
If you're not smart enough to know on your own, how exactly was 'god' able to teach you? Why would he even be a he? Why not a she? Or an it, as I prefer?

Sorry, but that statement says absolutely nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism