U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 05:03 PM

35,236 posts, read 19,282,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieBean View Post
I know the question sounds like an insult but I don't mean it to be. I am really wondering this question. I don't think humans are smart enough to have it all figured out so I don't understand how anyone can say with conviction that they are a believer or an atheist. I understand that in the first case, faith is what makes people believe; but I am not talking about faith here. I am just talking about this:

at the end of the day, why is it not just easier to say "I am too stupid to really get the full picture since I don't have the IQ to conceptualize what the whole world is about" than to go to all these lengths questioning belief or lack thereof.

At the end of the day I just feel like living my life and either have a pleasant surprise or nothing.
Any one out there think like me?

I can't speak for other atheists, but it's like this for me:

man of faith: "There's a god."

me: "I don't believe you."

Religious faiths pretend to have all the answers. I don't pretend to. I just reject theirs. As they reject all others offered by competing faiths.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:02 PM

534 posts, read 712,286 times
Quote:
I know the question sounds like an insult but I don't mean it to be. I am really wondering this question. I don't think humans are smart enough to have it all figured out so I don't understand how anyone can say with conviction that they are a believer or an atheist. I understand that in the first case, faith is what makes people believe; but I am not talking about faith here. I am just talking about this:

at the end of the day, why is it not just easier to say "I am too stupid to really get the full picture since I don't have the IQ to conceptualize what the whole world is about" than to go to all these lengths questioning belief or lack thereof.

At the end of the day I just feel like living my life and either have a pleasant surprise or nothing.
Any one out there think like me?
It's a much more peacefull life if you just accept there is no reason for anything. As long as you seek to know everything your star spirt will be constantly confused. Dust of the mirror of self reflection and delve into you, then you will find peace

Old 05-11-2014, 09:20 PM

17,237 posts, read 19,536,382 times
Quote:
I don't think humans are smart enough to have it all figured out so I don't understand how anyone can say with conviction that they are a believer or an atheist.
No Evidence = No God

How smart do you have to be to understand this?

Old 05-12-2014, 08:38 AM

2,331 posts, read 2,638,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
No Evidence = No God

Well said, and simply put.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:17 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,344,556 times
I don't think I'm smart enough to have it all figured out -- that would be crazy. I'm in touch with the fact that humans are so limited intellectually that trying to have it all figured out is a fool's errand for anyone.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:27 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,638,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I don't think I'm smart enough to have it all figured out -- that would be crazy. I'm in touch with the fact that humans are so limited intellectually that trying to have it all figured out is a fool's errand for anyone.

Then again, don't try to over think everything because because you may not be here long enough to solve the puzzle anyway.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:54 PM

278 posts, read 255,426 times
I'm not rooting for either side, I'm just going where the evidence (Or lack thereof) takes us. Agnosticism is only a provisional conclusion.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:56 AM

5,846 posts, read 3,354,843 times
Humanity as a collective culture truly has a horrific inferiority complex. We're either surrendering our lives to supernatural deities because they're so much better than we are - or we're taking the philosophical route to self-hatred by demeaning our intelligence and IQs.

I once did some heavy research into Ufology or the study of UFOs since I found the topic fascinating. I still don't know if UFOs are actually aliens, but what I DID learn is the sheer number of people who disbelieve in aliens only on the grounds that we just aren't interesting enough. "Why would aliens come HERE?!"

We don't have to be arrogant to take pride in our achievements and yes, even our intellects. I think half the reason why we appear so intellectually lackluster is because we're afraid of being too smart, too intelligent, doing a little TOO well on that exam. So we strive for the lower end of mediocrity so as not to stand out or to appear haughty, boastful, or arrogant.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:18 AM

40,911 posts, read 18,562,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
So we strive for the lower end of mediocrity so as not to stand out or to appear haughty, boastful, or arrogant.
The above sounds like a wonderful excuse to explain lack of distinction or achievement. It wasn't lack of ability which kept me from accomplishing great things, it was modesty.

Relative to other forms of intelligence for which we do have examples, we're hot stuff, the kings of the planet, the dumbest human is a wizard compared to a fish or a bug.

Relative to what else might be out there, we have no means for rating human intelligence, we do not know if there are entities in the universe which make us appear to be fish or bugs.

Because of this I see no reason to either celebrate or denigrate human intelligence. It seems marvelous compared to what we know, but we do not know everything.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:07 AM

40,052 posts, read 26,730,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
No Evidence = No God
No explanation = "We don't know." The very existence of existence and the universe (or multi-verses) is of Godly proportions relative to us puny beings and our finite lives. So we do NOT know whether or not that constiutes a God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism