Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 01:56 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,212,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I ran across this article a few minutes ago. It's a description of some of the bigotry directed against atheists in America.

10 Scariest States to Be An Atheist

"#2: Mississippi. I could say a lot about Mississippi. For instance, I could talk about how, when the Second Chance Prom was being organized for lesbian student Constance McMillan, the state chapter of the freaking ACLU refused to take money from the American Humanist Association and the Stiefel Freethought Foundation… because it was atheist money. I **** you not. "
I don't think any state is scary as long as you stand up for YOUR beliefs and let all others be damned!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 02:01 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,786,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Ha! You have no idea. I'm in Mississippi and right now there is a brutal Republican primary going on between current Senator Thad Cochran and wing nut Tea Party guy Chris McDaniel. Thus far, we've had Sarah Palin and Rick Santorum both visit the state. I see Rick Santorum on TV every day telling me how Chris McDaniel will fight for prayer in school, to eliminate abortion, and bring Mississippi back to its Conservative Christian roots and values. Meanwhile, Thad Cochran runs on an ultra-Conservative platform although he knows how to play the Washington game and has been doing so for years.

Yesterday they voted in the primaries but it's come down to a runoff. I do believe that while I tend to vote Democrat, I'm going to have to vote for Cochran simply because I hate McDaniel that much. No word on who the Democratic hopeful is but I can say this... He won't win in Mississippi.

You have no idea what it's like to be Atheist in Mississippi. The only good thing is that shopping on Sunday mornings is really nice because virtually EVERYONE is in church.
I totally feel for you! My experience is a little different, because when I was there (5 years in Starkville, and a couple more in Meridian) I was part of the problem. I would have been very comfortable in Vizio's church, and bought in to everything the AFA, Focus on the Family and the ACLJ were spewing.

When I moved back down south (TN) after being north of the Mason Dixon and leaving the faith, it was rough! You learn quickly to smile and nod at the man with the shotgun on his porch telling you about casting demons out of his engine block! You learn to keep your head down when you realize the fact that you don't go to church is not going to go over well at work, or that the local professional organizations are meant for evangelicals only...

-NoCapo

Old 06-04-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
I don't think any state is scary as long as you stand up for YOUR beliefs and let all others be damned!
That's when it gets scary... Knowing that school busses can get shot up and schools burned over "incorrect" theology, or that your family is going to have a massive target painted on them if you take a stand is scary. I hope is doesn't prevent me from doing what I think is right, but yeah, it can get scary.

-NoCapo

Old 06-04-2014, 02:07 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,212,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
That's when it gets scary... Knowing that school busses can get shot up and schools burned over "incorrect" theology, or that your family is going to have a massive target painted on them if you take a stand is scary. I hope is doesn't prevent me from doing what I think is right, but yeah, it can get scary.

-NoCapo
True, in my case I'd love to have someone give me a reason to shoot back, just because I don't need a damn bible.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
True, in my case I'd love to have someone give me a reason to shoot back, just because I don't need a damn bible.
I was very grateful that my wife and I did not have any kids. It is not myself I worried about, but I would not have wanted to paint a target on any kids...

Not that all of the South is like that, but I am glad to live back in the North, where I don't have to deal with it.

-NoCapo

Old 06-04-2014, 02:41 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,896,255 times
Im a little surprised Utah and Kansas didn't make the list. I know a lot of people who have moved from those states because of the fundamentalist Christians, and not just non believers either. Moderate and liberal Christians are treated nearly the same as atheists. I had never met an openly atheist person in Kansas until this last year when I moved to Lawrence, it's scary to come out here. Im in the closet, but I fear my restaurant would fail if I did come out as an atheist. I would love to become an atheist activist, but there is too much to lose. I fear my family would disown me as well. So I go to church on holidays and say my prayers when it's my turn. Honestly, I bet there are many like me. I could be wrong, but I bet Catholic states would be easiest for atheists.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:43 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,889,845 times
I have no problem with non trouble Atheists. However we have some insane nutty Atheists who try to push their hateful agenda. I once got into it with one of them and warned them if they kept getting in my face I would punch them. Don't push your agenda or say hateful things against Christians and we'll get along. Attack Christians or try to eliminate Christmas? then you're my enemy.

I just read that article and it was slanted. The idiot in the Rhode Island case was just a psycho looking for a fight.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:51 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,197,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I have no problem with non trouble Atheists. However we have some insane nutty Atheists who try to push their hateful agenda. I once got into it with one of them and warned them if they kept getting in my face I would punch them. Don't push your agenda or say hateful things against Christians and we'll get along. Attack Christians or try to eliminate Christmas? then you're my enemy.
Ah, nothing like the ol' Christian "turn the other cheek" stuff.

Thanks for stopping by our clubhouse, IDDY, and showing us how we can know Christians by their love.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:29 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,806,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post

I just read that article and it was slanted. The idiot in the Rhode Island case was just a psycho looking for a fight.
Hateful atheists, eh?

What were they doing? Gunning down doctors at clinics? Bombing the Olympics? Bombing gay nightclubs?

Oh, wait... it's not atheists doing things like that.

"eliminate Christmas"? Let me guess: wishing someone 'Happy Holidays!'... ?

Old 06-04-2014, 03:39 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,183,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
So are you arguing that Greta Christina is lying, or do you think legal challenges to the right to hold public office, threats of violence against children, and religious discrimination in law are no big deal? If some other group were doing the same thing to Christians, would you just shrug it off, and say "no big deal".

The article even made the point that compared to other minorities the discriminatory actions are not that extreme, but they are certainly there...

-NoCapo
I think the "threats" that atheists face are completely overblown. I am extremely skeptical. I have yet to read a "Fox's Book of Atheist Martyrs".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism