Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 12:05 PM

634 posts, read 897,141 times

Advertisements

If they didn't know about me, then frankly I don't think it would bother me in the least, I am so used to theists assuming everybody is a believer that I've trained myself to let it in one ear and out the other. But it's my nature to let things roll off me too.

Now if it was a case where I disclosed my beliefs or lack of them, then it would depend on the context, was it "poking fun" or in jest, like our joke thread or was it a jab or an outright criticism, then I might say something or I might not.

It is hard to speculate because I've shared with so few people, it's a very private aspect of myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 12:11 PM

9,328 posts, read 13,002,482 times
The fact I'm ethno-culturally Jewish but theologically atheist is too much for a surprising number of people to wrap their heads around. Other Jews usually get it, as do Gentiles who are familiar with Jewish cultural values.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
The fact I'm ethno-culturally Jewish but theologically atheist is too much for a surprising number of people to wrap their heads around. Other Jews usually get it, as do Gentiles who are familiar with Jewish cultural values.
These are difficult concepts to the average theist apparently. I told a Jehovah's Witness one day and her response was "how long have you been this way?" like it was an affliction, so it's just not worth my time.

Last edited by Garethe; 06-15-2014 at 12:43 PM..

Old 06-15-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post
These are difficult concepts to the average theist apparently. I told a Jehovah's Witness one day and her response was "how long have you been this way?" like it was an affliction, so it's just not worth my time.
I'm lucky enough that I seldom experience discrimination for either (I've experienced a modest amount of anti-Semitism but almost never anti-atheism). Where I grew up, the plurality of people were either atheist or agnostic (with varying levels of religion-based cultural observance--some of whom were surprisingly outwardly "devout") to mildly/moderately religious. An evangelical Christian would be far more likely to experience prejudice than an outward atheist.

The thing that baffles me is that some people can't separate the cultural from the theological (IE, in my case, the reaction isn't adverse so much as "confused"). Even Richard Dawkins has identified as a "cultural Christian."

Old 06-15-2014, 01:05 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,790,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I have been ordering a product from a woman who is just one of many who sells it on the internet. I usually like her posts and find them quite helpful but today she printed a joke which made fun of atheists. I was shocked. I would think a sales person of any maturity (she is in her 50's) would know better than to repeat a joke insulting to any religion or political leaning. On her site i asked to be taken off her list and I told her why. I also sent her a private message. Immediately the site has been filling up with remarks like "just the kind of response you would expect from a non-believer", etc.

How would you respond if a person you did regular business insulted your religion or beliefs no matter what they are?
Wah wah wah suck it up. There are plenty of business people who disagree with you. Should you spend all your time vetting the? Or should you be a Good Free Market Capitalist and shop only on price? Joys of the free market - you have choice. Sometimes that choice is merely "take it or leave it". But you can always shop on price, or you can take offense and go elsewhere.

Anyone else concerned with this ongoing "looking for offence" attitudes of many?

Old 06-15-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I would stop doing business with them and I would tell them why.

Personally, I am used to having my opinions ridiculed, so usually it doesn't bother me. In fact, I kind of like it when I irritate narrow-minded people.

However, sometimes they go too far. I was discussing the Martin-Zimmerman trial a few months ago with a few people at the golf course. They did not agree with my opinions and one of them asked another person, a former Secret Service employee, to shoot me. I guess he was kidding, but I didn't like it, so I have decided not to associate with that person any more.
Of course one should always explain to the seller why one is offended and will not do business again. Sometimes the loss of business effects sellers. Sometimes it does not.

Good luck.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Wah wah wah suck it up. There are plenty of business people who disagree with you. Should you spend all your time vetting the? Or should you be a Good Free Market Capitalist and shop only on price? Joys of the free market - you have choice. Sometimes that choice is merely "take it or leave it". But you can always shop on price, or you can take offense and go elsewhere.

Anyone else concerned with this ongoing "looking for offence" attitudes of many?
Most people (atheists or otherwise) don't shop solely "on price." Usually, the almighty dollar will win out, but sometimes distaste for the seller's conduct will lead the shopper to go elsewhere, even if it means a markup.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Most people (atheists or otherwise) don't shop solely "on price." Usually, the almighty dollar will win out, but sometimes distaste for the seller's conduct will lead the shopper to go elsewhere, even if it means a markup.
I agree

Old 06-15-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Wah wah wah sucke it up. There are plenty of business people who disagree with you. Should you spend all your time vetting the? Or should you be a Good Free Market Capitalist and shop only on price? Joys of the free market - you have choice. Sometimes that choice is merely "take it or leave it". But you can always shop on price, or you can take offense and go elsewhere.

As I said earlier, everything rolls off me like water off a ducks back, it keeps life simple n far more fun. But for a former roommate life was a drama, everything said was cause for offense leading to letter writing and angry phone calls, despite my counsel to just "let it go". I dismissed it as personality at first but came to the same conclusion in the end, that he got off on going out of his way to look for it. Creating drama and ripping new ones and threatening to take his patronage elsewhere fed his overwhelming desire to be in control (in his case, not judging anybody here).

My beliefs are private and I treasure it, no matter what kind of day I had, it comforts me to know that within the realm of my being nobody can invalidate my deepest convictions or beliefs. Without that need for validation, I can go about my business and shrug off the small stuff.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post
As I said earlier, everything rolls off me like water off a ducks back, it keeps life simple n far more fun. But for a former roommate life was a drama, everything said was cause for offense leading to letter writing and angry phone calls, despite my counsel to just "let it go". I dismissed it as personality at first but came to the same conclusion in the end, that he got off on going out of his way to look for it. Creating drama and ripping new ones and threatening to take his patronage elsewhere fed his overwhelming desire to be in control (in his case, not judging anybody here).

My beliefs are private and I treasure it, no matter what kind of day I had, it comforts me to know that within the realm of my being nobody can invalidate my deepest convictions or beliefs. Without that need for validation, I can go about my business and shrug off the small stuff.

I've never understood why theists have to shout it from the rooftops, but it certainly appears to me that the only way to alleviate the nagging doubt is to discuss it and argue it with others, in that respect they are in fact looking for offence because of a need to convince themselves in the process.
My attitude precisely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism