Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 04:44 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantronix4204 View Post
So you're suggesting that Christians and other religious zealots should take down all their Facebook posts that promote religion and upset Atheists, and other normal people. I agree with you.
I think the actual point is that atheists and other normal tend NOT to be zealots and obnoxious about their belief or non-belief . . . so they don't really get upset as the religious nuts do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 05:02 PM

91 posts, read 104,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I think the actual point is that atheists and other normal tend NOT to be zealots and obnoxious about their belief or non-belief . . . so they don't really get upset as the religious nuts do.
I was being facetious. My attempt at sarcasm failed - again.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I think you should not have made a post like that on Facebook.
You know that many people are religious and some of them take their religion very seriously. Facebook is a website that helps us stay informed about people we care about. It is not a website that should be used to voice controversial opinions that get people upset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvodene View Post
Please tell me you're joking.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvodene View Post
Who cares how upset religious nutjobs get?
Quote:
I was being facetious. My attempt at sarcasm failed - again.
This is known as the POE effect and the only cure for it is to use smileys.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:51 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
Quote:
So you're suggesting that Christians and other religious zealots should take down all their Facebook posts that promote religion and upset Atheists, and other normal people.
No, I am not suggesting that.

I read the posts on my wife's Facebook page and one of her friends has religious posts, but they don't bother me. She seems to be a very sincere person who is not trying to insult anybody.

If a religious opinion gets you upset, then you are taking this religion stuff too personally.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
So you're suggesting that Christians and other religious zealots should take down all their Facebook posts that promote religion and upset Atheists, and other normal people. I agree with you.
Not quite.
Quote:
Quote:
I read the posts on my wife's Facebook page and one of her friends has religious posts, but they don't bother me. She seems to be a very sincere person who is not trying to insult anybody.
If a religious opinion gets you upset, then you are taking this religion stuff too personally.
True.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:05 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,786,533 times
Quote:

I don't think it is about religious stuff. Sure I roll my eyes a little at all the Jesus-y stuff that people we know post on facebook, but that is them. It isn't a problem. It is a relationship problem, not a religion problem when people tear into you using religion as an excuse. To be literally demonized, because they can't live and let live? Depending on the relationship, you may just choose to take it, but you shouldn't feel like you have to simply because their belief that you are evil and the enemy is part of their religion. Your advice seemed to indicate that it is the atheists responsibility to make sure the believers don't get riled up, and absolving the believers of any responsibility for their behavior, because they are sincere. I think it is this perceived attitude that raise some hackles, especially on this forum. Its like a very mild version of going into a rape survivors meeting, and telling them if they just wouldn't dress like sluts...

-NoCapo

Old 06-16-2014, 08:37 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
I feel like the only appropriate response would have been to post some links about Raptor Jesus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBbRYz-C18o

Old 06-16-2014, 09:28 PM

584 posts, read 1,934,616 times
Quote:
I think you should not have made a post like that on Facebook.

You know that many people are religious and some of them take their religion very seriously. Facebook is a website that helps us stay informed about people we care about. It is not a website that should be used to voice controversial opinions that get people upset.
fb is also for the exchange of ideas. if i post i comment on my fb page and it offends someone to bad so sad i posted a comment awhile back that people who want biblical based law and laws based on jesus and friends that think Christianity is the official flavor of the nation. just as bad as the Taliban. a friends aunt saw it when my friend posted agreeing with me / left the you going to burn thing on my page and everybody laughed at her i let friends of friends see and post on my wall. and i tell them if they do not like my post suck it up cry to their invisible buddy and stay off my wall lol.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:57 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
It is a relationship problem, not a religion problem when people tear into you using religion as an excuse.
What you say is very true.

Religious people do not "tear into" me because I show respect for their beliefs. If they "tear into" you, then you must have a problem with the way you relate to them.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:15 AM

93 posts, read 77,573 times
All I did was post a picture of pasta and make a joking comment about the Flying Spaghetti monster. It wasn't intended to confront or belittle anyone's religion. It was a silly joke. I'm not seeing how it offended her and prompted the onslaught of anger and ridiculous accusations. She called me a demon proxy for goodness sake!

I will think harder about my facebook posts from now on. My intention was to get a laugh, not to insight drama.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism