Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 06:32 AM

20,001 posts, read 13,480,828 times

Advertisements

I think Nozz and Arach both have a lot of need to be right. This is way more discussion than the subtopic really deserves.

It's not news that "faith" is a squishy and imprecise word with a couple of major senses in which it is used. It is true that "science" is averse to squishy and imprecise ANYTHING and also is not as clearly understood by the proverbial "man on the street" as most scientifically minded persons would like. It seems obvious to me that "faith" is probably not the best word to use when discussing what what thinks / feels concerning science, but ultimately I recognize that people are going to use whatever words they want to use and frequently no amount of suggestions of better alternatives will change that one iota.

Now we have to ask ourselves what the purpose or goal of any further bandying this matter about can possibly serve other than to try in vain to establish the rightness or erudition of one protagonist at the expense of the other. I suggest that at this point further debate of this ultimately technical point can only establish the pettiness of both. A Third Way is possible: agree to disagree and get on with the actual discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 12:54 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
It is not about "being right". I also said what you just posted a few posts ago. I will not part take in misuse of the word "science" and "faith" to advance a position of anti-religion. I won't do it. I use and people around my way use it as a vernacular for "hope", likely that", or any other future outcome set of words. I conceded (i am wrong) that he does not have to have any "feeling" about what science can do if he so chooses. I only differ in telling others that they can't or that they are wrong to do so. That is flat out intellectual bullying.

I admit I am wrong if we stay strictly to the definitions. Me using the words "faith in science" is like saying "I have faith in accounting". I misuse the term "faith" with the word "accounting". Just Like I miss use the words "one bad set of wheels" in describing a muscle car. And I posted to you before that this difference is settled very quickly in a discussion in person. But i do make up stuff just to put down people of faith.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:52 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I think Nozz and Arach both have a lot of need to be right. This is way more discussion than the subtopic really deserves.
Not particularly. I just felt the word was used wrongly and now the user has admitted exactly that. Conversation over as far as I am concerned.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:09 AM

20,001 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Not particularly. I just felt the word was used wrongly and now the user has admitted exactly that. Conversation over as far as I am concerned.
To be clear, I completely agree with your position, I just was getting weary of laboring it to this extent. Surprisingly for once the matter is resolved; but "resolved" for me doesn't have to be the other guy conceding the point when he clearly can't or won't. It could have been both parties being clear on their firm positions, noting it and moving on.

I will admit, when it comes to arch-theists on the other end of such conversations, they seldom have the grace and respect to do that, as they basically hold out for a faux "win" when one walks away from such unproductive and disingenuous conversations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism