U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 06:32 AM

19,848 posts, read 19,948,859 times

Advertisements

The religious have all those hymns.
Think we should adopt some songs as our 'music'?
I can think of two.
John Lennon's "Imagine"
IMAGINE LYRICS - JOHN LENNON

And one that I have always particularly thought of as, not just music, but as an important lesson, much so than Mystic's 'agape love'.

"Greatest Love Of All"
GREATEST LOVE OF ALL LYRICS - WHITNEY HOUSTON
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 06:53 AM

39,242 posts, read 10,913,531 times
By all means. I must say that I appreciate music that expresses less that blinkered conviction that Jesusgod is alive and above. But this atheist does not want a hymnal, anymore than Science needs 'let us now turn to science -hymn number 606..., hymn 606...'The universe expandeth. This proveth the big bangdeth.'

Mind, in the time of ongoing struggle, iconic figures like John Lennon singing AA songs, is all grist to the mills of the goddless.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:04 AM

19,848 posts, read 19,948,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
By all means. I must say that I appreciate music that expresses less that blinkered conviction that Jesusgod is alive and above. But this atheist does not want a hymnal, anymore than Science needs 'let us now turn to science -hymn number 606..., hymn 606...'The universe expandeth. This proveth the big bangdeth.'

Mind, in the time of ongoing struggle, iconic figures like John Lennon singing AA songs, is all grist to the mills of the goddless.
I think you're taking my post too seriously Areq.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:13 AM

11,213 posts, read 11,021,140 times
We had another thread in this forum a while back about music.

In Search of Atheist Music

Some may find some "inspiration" there.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:20 AM

39,242 posts, read 10,913,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I think you're taking my post too seriously Areq.
I am an ole sobersides, ain't I?

Old 07-26-2014, 05:04 PM

5,846 posts, read 3,362,978 times
Ever notice how hymns sound like, well ... hymns?

Even if you aren't aware that the song being played is a hymn, you can tell that it is one. All of them seem to have very similar melodies and harmonics; the timing of the rhythms (such as they are), the cadence, all of it verily screams, "Hey, I'm a hymn praising God!"

There really doesn't seem to be any variety - and if you deviate from that formula, watch out! The devil climbed into that big church pipe organ and is making you play demon songs from the jungles of Africa!!

Now, let us bow our heads.

Oh Universe, we praise thee and pray to thee that thou keepest thy gamma ray bursts far from our blessed home and that no wandering black holes will strayeth into our solar system. We ask that you keep us safe from the sun's harmful coronal ejections ... and help us understand the strangeness of quantum mechanics by granting us the wisdom and the strength to accept that, yes, particles can really be in two places at once.

We hope that thy glorious and benevolent emptiness, oh universe, will stretch out thy hand and touch Mrs. Johnson, home today after a bad day of chemo. We hope that you will have mercy on our absent member, oh gaseous one, and bombard her tumor with gamma rays so that she may walk beneath your stars a healthy woman.

We are thy humble servants to the cosmos and we give our thanks and our adoration. In Einstein's name, we are star stuff. Amen.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:12 PM

40,172 posts, read 26,797,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Ever notice how hymns sound like, well ... hymns?

Even if you aren't aware that the song being played is a hymn, you can tell that it is one. All of them seem to have very similar melodies and harmonics; the timing of the rhythms (such as they are), the cadence, all of it verily screams, "Hey, I'm a hymn praising God!"

There really doesn't seem to be any variety - and if you deviate from that formula, watch out! The devil climbed into that big church pipe organ and is making you play demon songs from the jungles of Africa!!

Now, let us bow our heads.

Oh Universe, we praise thee and pray to thee that thou keepest thy gamma ray bursts far from our blessed home and that no wandering black holes will strayeth into our solar system. We ask that you keep us safe from the sun's harmful coronal ejections ... and help us understand the strangeness of quantum mechanics by granting us the wisdom and the strength to accept that, yes, particles can really be in two places at once.

We hope that thy glorious and benevolent emptiness, oh universe, will stretch out thy hand and touch Mrs. Johnson, home today after a bad day of chemo. We hope that you will have mercy on our absent member, oh gaseous one, and bombard her tumor with gamma rays so that she may walk beneath your stars a healthy woman.

We are thy humble servants to the cosmos and we give our thanks and our adoration. In Einstein's name, we are star stuff. Amen.
You are a riot!

Old 07-26-2014, 06:31 PM

559 posts, read 719,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are a riot!
Seconded.

I LOL'd.

Even the cat jumped.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:25 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,102,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are a riot!
By Einstein, indeed she is!

Old 07-27-2014, 12:06 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,711,517 times
old cold's picks were great!..so another in the interest of feeding the muse of music...

do you have to get down on yer knees..nah!...with sleight of ear just remove the lyrics...this is just a paen to the world of photons flashing through the solar wind....music at bottom is a 'language' that should not separate.....the muse has spoken...;-).....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRfF7W4El60
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism