U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 08:20 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,467,226 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if there was an Antheist TV channel, I typed my question into google, and look what I found.

AtheistTV | American Atheists
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 11:36 PM

559 posts, read 719,509 times
Nice. Will definitely check it out since it streams and don't need a tv. Thanks for the info.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:12 AM

10,202 posts, read 6,099,347 times
Bet it doesn't make millions like the ̶s̶̶c̶̶a̶̶m̶ ̶a̶̶r̶̶t̶̶i̶̶s̶̶t̶̶s̶ Christian shows do.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:27 AM

39,213 posts, read 10,895,806 times
No more than top scientists make more money than rock stars. But after Austin atheists, American atheists. !00% increase of TV exposure.

The former were told by a phone- in theist (complaining) that the theist kids loved to watch and see theiopologists get trundled. This is getting better all the time. It seems to be going faster than I expected, though slower than I would like.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:12 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,097,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
I was wondering if there was an Antheist TV channel, I typed my question into google, and look what I found.

AtheistTV | American Atheists
Wow, thanks for posting this. I have a Roku device and will be watching this.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:30 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,709,950 times
Well this is progressive! 'Marketing' of atheism has now hit the mainstream. A bold stroke in using the airways. Will the medium be the message shortly? Going to be fascinating how this will be produced. Docs, interviews, conversions? Dvd's?

Of course for atheism this is a good move ...to get out into the mainstream and proselytize. Curious what the ratings will be. If they're smart they'd want to be measured. But It will be awful low right now.

And with the inception of atheistic tv we could be seeing some new atheistic 'Oral Roberts' shaking things up! They'll have to be a clamor for time.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:06 AM

Minority viewing indeed, but perhaps this is not the beginning of the end, but the end of the beginning.

And we have a few atheist Oral Roberts around already, though I trust that it will be more like Carl sagan - a certain amount of personality cult, but the subject is what matters.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:58 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,709,950 times
Quote:
And we have a few atheist Oral Roberts around already, though I trust that it
will be more like Carl sagan - a certain amount of personality cult, but the
subject is what matters.
Interesting. You know I'm not familiar with the 'OR' people. Never saw them. I think I like to hang around with the 'Carl Sagan' types...Really it's good back and forth (even w the differences), intelligent, rational!, gives one an opportunity to learn some things in new worlds. Win win. Not sure on the OR guys though if they get to be in front of the camera. Perception could be reality, you know?...And I'd be interested in the sponsors if that's the way they will go. Maybe an ala PBS?

Old 08-01-2014, 12:29 PM

Well...I'm not too familiar with Oral Roberts, though I gather he was a big noise in evangelism in Oklahomah.

I'm thinking of the the prominent and public atheists like Hitchens and Dawkins, though the comparison with Roberts only goes so far.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:03 PM

14,197 posts, read 9,097,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Well...I'm not too familiar with Oral Roberts, though I gather he was a big noise in evangelism in Oklahomah.

I'm thinking of the the prominent and public atheists like Hitchens and Dawkins, though the comparison with Roberts only goes so far.
The joke is that Oral Roberts died while walking his duck on the lake, when he was struck by a speedboat. A reference to his claims to work miracles.

He was a prosperity gospel, name-it-and-claim-it televangelist who founded Oral Roberts University. I think he overextended toward the end of his life, building a few too many grandiose projects, and had to downsize as his revenue ebbed, but I didn't keep up with that branch of fundamentalism even when I was a fundamentalist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or