U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 04:00 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,357,555 times

Advertisements

It makes me feel so, you know, free to make up my own mind.

What are other advantages you've noticed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 05:18 PM

8,969 posts, read 6,506,763 times
I'm an ex-Christian so I have seen both sides.

Not being a slave to an invisable deity and realizing you are the one who must get it done because there is no outside force that is going to help. Prayer never worked for me, even when it came to my religious and abusive upbringing. One wouldn't think it was too much to ask to stop the violence. It took me way too long (into my 19th birthday) to realize god was a lie.

I was relieved, free from the chains of religion.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:27 PM

41,113 posts, read 18,595,226 times
Sleeping in Sunday mornings.

Not having to hang out on the Christian forum.

And mocking the televangelists, I'd really miss that if I was a believer.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:21 PM

14,197 posts, read 9,092,754 times
My life is far more BS-free than it used to be.

I was never the rebellious type, so I never did feel particularly stifled or restricted by Christianity. However, in retrospect, even though my morality and personal standards are no different, and I'm pretty old-school, I do find the additional flexibility and freedom very nice. I'm just as married to my current S.O. as I would be if it were "official" but there are very good financial reasons not to make it official (we are both widowers and fast approaching the age when we can collect survivor's benefits if we are still single). I would have made it official contrary to my rational self-interest before, or felt guilty if I didn't. It's nice not to be hung up on that sort of thing. I still don't sleep around and I'm still loyal and devoted, but I don't need someone else to validate that for me.

By far the best reason is that I no longer have to labor mightily to rationalize why my existence looks, feels, walks, talks / quacks, smells and tastes like it would if I lived in an indifferent universe full of random stuff happening, vs what it's supposed to feel like with your magic sky daddy watching out for you and orchestrating your destiny.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:45 PM

888 posts, read 353,617 times
You actually get a day of rest.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:47 AM

4,391 posts, read 2,983,422 times
Definitely...the ability to see the world as it truly is and use that information to plan, strategize, lead, and understand.

Atheism gives us power to work the controls of this earth and ourselves as efficiently as possible.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:05 AM

39,203 posts, read 10,880,280 times
Once in the church (singing) I was glad to leave. Bunch of puffed up hypocrites and frauds.

After five or so years of 'searching', finally discarding the claims of Christianity and indeed the other religions of the Book was a huge relief. A 'deconversion experience' though I didn't understand it at the time.

A quite substantial time in eastern religion (Shaved head, purple robe) ended when I found the religious life was not for me (1) and then the challenge from a believer to 'Really read the Bible' (specifically the gospels) and that started off a study that led to where I am now (2). A militant 'New' atheist with a mission to let everyone know that the gospels do not stand up to scrutiny.

The advantage to my previously confused thinking was huge. I can see through BS more easily. I can get to the bottom of problems and mysteries more easily; facts, not my personal street cred, is what matters. And coming here.the wonderful people I have met. So clever, and knowledgeable and I like the Christians too, even if I fight with them. And it has greatly improved my vocabulary and spelling (but not my typing) - I even learned how to spell prosetylize...proselitize?

Atheism has made such a difference to my life.... ...let us now all sing atheist Hymn No 1 (and only) ... "Atheists ain't got no songs.."

(1) nor the others, they were all crossing off the days until their monastic time was up and back to the beer and babes.

(2) when I asked him to 'really read the Bible' - specifically the Gospel problems and discrepancies, he wouldn't do it, but preferred to rely on blind (and I mean blinkered) faith.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-12-2014 at 03:52 AM..

Old 08-12-2014, 03:29 AM

19,837 posts, read 19,932,533 times
Lack of guilt over things there is no reason to feel guilty about.
The ability to face and handle negative events in a rational and more productive manner.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:13 AM

7,802 posts, read 5,284,580 times
I do not see any advantage in atheism so much as I see advantages in the processes and world views of which atheism is a result.

That is to say..... my world view is simply that I do not accept a premise, assertion, opinion or argument unless it comes with substantiation. If nothing is offered to believe X then I do not believe X.

And there are advantages to THAT process. Atheism is just a RESULT of that process given that there is NO evidence, argument, data or reasoning on offer to me to even lend a modicum of credence to the claim there is a god.

It is not atheism I see as having advantages at all... but the process that has led me to many things, including atheism.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:35 AM

39,203 posts, read 10,880,280 times
I agree. But for me, the atheism had to come first and that led me to rationality - which I then found very useful applied to other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or