Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 09:29 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Most mental illness has no organic basis, either, though.
Actually as we learn more about the brain that view is becoming dated. It is probably true that most mental illness has a biological basis.

The roots of mental illness

Quote:
Eric Kandel, MD, a Nobel Prize laureate and professor of brain science at Columbia University, believes it's all about biology. "All mental processes are brain processes, and therefore all disorders of mental functioning are biological diseases," he says. "The brain is the organ of the mind. Where else could [mental illness] be if not in the brain?"

That viewpoint is quickly gaining supporters, thanks in part to Thomas R. Insel, MD, director of the National Institute of Mental Health, who has championed a biological perspective during his tenure at the agency.

To Insel, mental illnesses are no different from heart disease, diabetes or any other chronic illness. All chronic diseases have behavioral components as well as biological components, he says. "The only difference here is that the organ of interest is the brain instead of the heart or pancreas. But the same basic principles apply."

Old 09-20-2014, 07:27 AM

19,994 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Actually as we learn more about the brain that view is becoming dated. It is probably true that most mental illness has a biological basis.

The roots of mental illness
I basically agree, but with caveats about the proper definition of "mental illness".

Too often, people are labeled as mentally ill because they have adopted alternate ways of being that busybodies and prudes find personally annoying or disturbing. Yet, it's hard to show how those ways of being actually harm anyone. Even if the person is driven to such modes of existence by personal limitations, they may actually be creative and/or heroic solutions to the problems thus presented.

Even if there are only some relatively mild mental health or addiction issues present, they can be seized upon and magnified by people who are more interested in "winning" arguments than in compassion and empathy.

I have seen people labeled (by laypersons or especially by doctors not trained or qualified in mental health care, who have faux authority to trade in) as mentally ill who are just not behaving the way the labeler wants them to. Or who are far less mentally ill than alleged.

Mental illness should really be defined by whether behaviors and thought patterns are maladaptive, meaning, they significantly impede one's ability to find happiness, or significantly impede or interfere with other's pursuit of happiness (in other words doing no harm to oneself or to others).

In a sense we are all mentally ill. The human mind can only imperfectly deal with the human condition, with its absurdities, dangers, tragedies and suffering. No one can claim to be 100% rational and self consistent, like some sort of dispassionate Vulcan doing the logical and efficient thing in all cases. Ultimately "mental illness" is a mode of coping that results in suffering that's significantly more intense than average for the person in question and/or the people around him, nothing more.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:05 PM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Default COuld it be argued that atheist are the most sane people on Earth?

It could be argued . . . but NOT very effectively!!!

Old 09-24-2014, 05:56 PM

12,250 posts, read 2,964,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What's more effective, delusion or rationale?

Old 09-24-2014, 08:00 PM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
What's more effective, delusion or rationale?
In this reality bordering on solipsism . . . delusion is truly in the eye of the beholder! . . . as is rationality.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:03 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
i have know some very sane atheists esp my grandfather who raised me
but those are mostly not the people that post on CDF.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:46 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,553,504 times
COuld it be argued that atheist are the most sane people on Earth?

Of course it could be argued that way. It could also be argued to be the opposite.

Just depends on your point of view. After all, what does it really matter and how many minds will be changed either way?

Old 09-25-2014, 03:55 PM

12,250 posts, read 2,964,782 times
Quote:
In this reality bordering on solipsism . . . delusion is truly in the eye of the beholder! . . . as is rationality.

Sounds very like the delusion that reality isn't real. I'll bet if a truck ran over a philosopher's foot, god forbid, he or she would recognize awfully quickly that the world we occupy is real.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:57 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,322,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i have know some very sane atheists esp my grandfather who raised me
but those are mostly not the people that post on CDF.
I'm betting the "sane" atheists were the ones who remained seated, kept their mouths shut, and let Christians run amok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism