Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 08:25 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
You need to lay off the CAP LOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks.

Oh mensaguy......you're gonna have lots of fun with this thread. Ain't Ya.
You and I must have an altogether different idea of fun.

I'll bet the Pope hasn't head as much about his remarks as we have.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:39 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
With respect...how does he know?
Did he say he had a Divine Revelation and it all became clear to him?

I would trust an NDE story probably more...especially if 50 others said similar things, which they do...because apparently
they receive incredible insights of the creation and Creator.

That's saying something... I would believe a stranger over the Pope, funny...hahaha...
no disrespect, really...he is a great guy, I'm sure.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:02 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
In that they have previously been presenting it as the literal truth, are Catholics not supposed to notice that one of their eternal, unchanging truths has been declared a myth?
Catholic schools (at least high schools and colleges) have always taught evolution in science classes. They believe the Bible tells people who created the world, but not how it was done.

Pope Shows How Faith And Evolution Coexist - NYTimes.com

Quote:
Ironically, the Pope's remarks are less likely to have an impact on Catholic schools, which generally teach both the science of evolution and the belief that the human soul is the result of divine design, than on public schools, where the teaching of evolution, rather than a subject settled long ago, remains a subject of enormous public debate.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:12 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Catholic schools (at least high schools and colleges) have always taught evolution in science classes. They believe the Bible tells people who created the world, but not how it was done.
Always? I attended catholic schools through high school and the Genesis story was presented as a factual relating of the origins of the universe and humans. I was never taught evolution, there was never one word about any of the presentation being merely allegorical.

I was an atheist by the start of my sophomore year and spent lots of time arguing about these things with the Christian Brothers who ran my school.

When did this change?

Old 10-29-2014, 12:13 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Okay, so does this mean that Catholic schools will be junking the Adam and Eve story in favor of scientific explanations?
Catholic schools have not taught Genesis as the literal truth since they never believed that science was incompatible with religion.

Gregor Mendel was a Catholic Augustinian Friar. Catholicism has always redefined religion in the light of scientific discovery after the middle ages was over. The Church simply never made any official pronouncements on evolution until 2009 when a five-day conference, Biological Evolution: Facts and Theories, held in March 2009 by the Pontifical University in Rome, marking the 150th anniversary of the publication of the Origin of Species, generally confirmed the lack of conflict between evolutionary theory and Catholic theology, and the rejection of Intelligent Design by Catholic scholars. The Church has deferred to scientists on matters such as the age of the earth and the authenticity of the fossil record. Papal pronouncements, along with commentaries by cardinals, have accepted the findings of scientists on the gradual appearance of life.

What is interesting is how little people, even those who practice Catholicism in various churches know about what the church says on these things. The fact is that the *fundamentalist* Catholics are actually not in tune with church teachings.

Papal Infallibility, btw, is ONLY in matters of revelation and faith and NOT in general on everyday matters of science.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:54 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Catholic schools have not taught Genesis as the literal truth since they never believed that science was incompatible with religion.

Gregor Mendel was a Catholic Augustinian Friar. Catholicism has always redefined religion in the light of scientific discovery after the middle ages was over. The Church simply never made any official pronouncements on evolution until 2009 when a five-day conference, Biological Evolution: Facts and Theories, held in March 2009 by the Pontifical University in Rome, marking the 150th anniversary of the publication of the Origin of Species, generally confirmed the lack of conflict between evolutionary theory and Catholic theology, and the rejection of Intelligent Design by Catholic scholars. The Church has deferred to scientists on matters such as the age of the earth and the authenticity of the fossil record. Papal pronouncements, along with commentaries by cardinals, have accepted the findings of scientists on the gradual appearance of life.

What is interesting is how little people, even those who practice Catholicism in various churches know about what the church says on these things. The fact is that the *fundamentalist* Catholics are actually not in tune with church teachings.

Papal Infallibility, btw, is ONLY in matters of revelation and faith and NOT in general on everyday matters of science.
Irrespective of official doctrine, they did indeed teach Genesis as the literal truth of creation when I was in school. I am not misremembering this. It was the only explanation of creation which was ever presented in any of the Catholic schools I attended.

So...were they teaching something which they did not believe themselves? They knew better but lied to the pupils for some reason?

Old 10-29-2014, 01:28 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
I attended Catholic schools from Grades 1-10 (up to 1966). We were taught that Genesis was allegorical.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:49 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
I'm closing this thread. There is another open on exactly the same topic out there in R&S. I'd merge the posts, but I don't think must of this would flow well when intermingled with the posts in the other thread. People are missing information be only reading the contents of one thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism