Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 04:51 AM

2 posts, read 1,846 times

Advertisements

I am just fed up with religion like someone said. I wonder why so many people base their lives on some foreign books and how the heck did those stories find it way into our constitution. Religion is destroying this world especially Africa my continent.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:43 AM

5,902 posts, read 3,789,744 times
I'm sure there are atheists who are "haters" out there as there are religious folks who are haters also but it's the minority not the majority. It's unfair to say that all atheists hate religion or religionists, or to say that atheists hate god when we don't even believe in a god....how can you hate something that doesn't exist?

I dislike some forms of christianity because I was raised in it and it was very damaging mentally, emotionally and even physically. Hate does not come into play though I just want those who force their beliefs to stop doing it.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:36 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
I don't "hate" the religious. I often wonder why they display hate by attacking the atheists and make claims about us that they have no way of knowing the veracity of.

Just how many times are we to be told that even if we don't know it atheism is in fact a religion. Usually just to make themselves feel better or trying to make everyone else just like themselves. Then they get offended and hateful when it is pointed out that they are wrong.

Just leave us alone and we will leave you alone.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:46 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
I get accused all the time by Christians as being a hater. I hate God. I hate religion. I hate Christians.

The trouble with Christianity in particular is its built-in persecution complex. To many Christians, there is something noble about being persecuted and enduring the scoffers in the name of Jesus. This attitude, in turn, lends the impression to the general population that atheists are nothing but haters and persecutors and oppressors. And hey, thanks to fundamentalist propaganda, most of the country hates atheists anyway so it isn't much of a trick to convince everyone else how horrible we atheists are. Perhaps these whiny Christians ought to swing that microscope around and examine their own acts of hate before pointing the finger at us.

Yet here we are, in a thread like this one, examining whether or not we're angry with religion - and if so, why that anger and hatred exists. However, if you go to the Christian forum, will you find a similar thread whereby they do some introspection on their attitudes toward atheism and its adherents? Heh, of course not. They have God on their side, after all, the holy mantle of absolute righteousness, don'tchya know.

I don't hate religion nor was I particularly angry with it - until the gay marriage bans started materializing. I saw these bans as a heavy-handed encroachment of religion onto the private affairs of everyone, including non-Christians and atheists. I decided to stand up and fight against it as best I could. And once I joined the fray, I began to understand the full extent of the rock I just overturned - and what was lying underneath.

I still don't hate religion. I'm not even angry with religion. I DO get ticked off at some of religion's followers, however, for insisting that America be subjugated under a quasi-theocratic yoke. There is, however, one facet of religion that I do truly hate. This hatred stems from the lingering influence of Puritanism and early Protestantism for these two cultural throwbacks are hindering America's ability to be egalitarian (we have one of the highest wealth disparities of any nation on earth), or for America to insitute universal health care (we're the only nation with a for-profit system), and it tends to present greed and avarice as virtues rather than vices or "deadly sins."

It leaves America vulnerable. Because our culture and way of life is so infused with absolutist, rigid, unchanging religious dogma, our society is having a very difficult time adapting and changing as the world changes. All of these silly debates over teaching evolution or putting ID in science classrooms - these controversies simply don't exist elsewhere because nowhere else is there such a significant percentage of people who believes in the literal telling of Adam and Eve.

I know that most Americans have never traveled abroad much less lived overseas and our cultural isolation and large geographic area has made it difficult for the average person to grasp the fact that, no, the rest of the world is doing things differently.

What really sealed the deal for me is when I couldn't get any relief for my pain. I was suffering horribly because the normal meds don't always work and I begged for real pain meds to use when I was having a bad flare-up. But no ... because I might be a criminal who only wants the prescription to sell on the street. There's that Puritanism again which fosters a near obsession with punishment. The resulting ideology means that the government is more interested in punishing the guilty than helping the innocent. It is far better to to allow tens of thousands of people suffer in horrible pain than to risk even one criminal getting his hands on a bottle of pain meds to sell on the sidewalk.

For the past 10 days, I was suffering horribly again. Some may have noticed I haven't posted in awhile (yesterday was the first day I was able to). That's because I was hurting so bad that I found myself wondering if suicide would actually hurt ... and could it hurt worse than how I was feeling already.

And what suddenly sent a wave a fury through me was the fact that I used to have an on-going prescription for Norco, a generic form of hydrocodone. It was a fairly weak dose, but it was usually enough to drop the pain level to a manageable level. But as the tears of pain fell, I picked up my empty bottle of Norco and read what it said on the bottom: "Federal law prohibits refill."

Yeah, as it turns out, just this past October, the government changed the laws regarding pain killers making them even harder to obtain. In fact, they even re-categorized another pain killer I take, Ultram, as a scheduled drug even though it isn't a narcotic so now even THAT is hard to get. Doctors are scared to prescribe pain killers out of fear that investigators will show up at their practice demanding to know why pain killers are being prescribed.

I don't blame religion for all of this, but there is plenty of blame that religion shares. This complete disregard for the people like me who have a genuine need for pain relief must now suffer ... because the Puritan-Protestant ideal is to nail the bad guy NOT help the victim. Thanks, religion, thanks alot. Since BOTH pain killers have been pounced upon by the government making it nigh impossible to obtain without being a patient of a surgery, I really don't know if I can keep going like this.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:17 PM

865 posts, read 1,076,341 times
I used to be a fairly indifferent atheist. I found the religious convictions of certain people rather odd (to say the least), but I didn't dislike religion itself. I even used to enjoy watching Touched By An Angel and 7th Heaven.

When I started to realise how much suffering and oppression religion has caused (and continues to cause) to so many groups, it was hard for me not to feel anger and resentment that appeasing the fantasies of these people must continually (even in progressive societies) take top priority over the rights of everyone else.

That's not to say that I hate all religious people, but I do now feel rather strongly that religion is a scourge that must be eradicated for the sake of social progress.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:31 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,021,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I get accused all the time by Christians as being a hater. I hate God. I hate religion. I hate Christians.

The trouble with Christianity in particular is its built-in persecution complex. To many Christians, there is something noble about being persecuted and enduring the scoffers in the name of Jesus. This attitude, in turn, lends the impression to the general population that atheists are nothing but haters and persecutors and oppressors. And hey, thanks to fundamentalist propaganda, most of the country hates atheists anyway so it isn't much of a trick to convince everyone else how horrible we atheists are. Perhaps these whiny Christians ought to swing that microscope around and examine their own acts of hate before pointing the finger at us.

Yet here we are, in a thread like this one, examining whether or not we're angry with religion - and if so, why that anger and hatred exists. However, if you go to the Christian forum, will you find a similar thread whereby they do some introspection on their attitudes toward atheism and its adherents? Heh, of course not. They have God on their side, after all, the holy mantle of absolute righteousness, don'tchya know.

I don't hate religion nor was I particularly angry with it - until the gay marriage bans started materializing. I saw these bans as a heavy-handed encroachment of religion onto the private affairs of everyone, including non-Christians and atheists. I decided to stand up and fight against it as best I could. And once I joined the fray, I began to understand the full extent of the rock I just overturned - and what was lying underneath.

I still don't hate religion. I'm not even angry with religion. I DO get ticked off at some of religion's followers, however, for insisting that America be subjugated under a quasi-theocratic yoke. There is, however, one facet of religion that I do truly hate. This hatred stems from the lingering influence of Puritanism and early Protestantism for these two cultural throwbacks are hindering America's ability to be egalitarian (we have one of the highest wealth disparities of any nation on earth), or for America to insitute universal health care (we're the only nation with a for-profit system), and it tends to present greed and avarice as virtues rather than vices or "deadly sins."

It leaves America vulnerable. Because our culture and way of life is so infused with absolutist, rigid, unchanging religious dogma, our society is having a very difficult time adapting and changing as the world changes. All of these silly debates over teaching evolution or putting ID in science classrooms - these controversies simply don't exist elsewhere because nowhere else is there such a significant percentage of people who believes in the literal telling of Adam and Eve.

I know that most Americans have never traveled abroad much less lived overseas and our cultural isolation and large geographic area has made it difficult for the average person to grasp the fact that, no, the rest of the world is doing things differently.

What really sealed the deal for me is when I couldn't get any relief for my pain. I was suffering horribly because the normal meds don't always work and I begged for real pain meds to use when I was having a bad flare-up. But no ... because I might be a criminal who only wants the prescription to sell on the street. There's that Puritanism again which fosters a near obsession with punishment. The resulting ideology means that the government is more interested in punishing the guilty than helping the innocent. It is far better to to allow tens of thousands of people suffer in horrible pain than to risk even one criminal getting his hands on a bottle of pain meds to sell on the sidewalk.

For the past 10 days, I was suffering horribly again. Some may have noticed I haven't posted in awhile (yesterday was the first day I was able to). That's because I was hurting so bad that I found myself wondering if suicide would actually hurt ... and could it hurt worse than how I was feeling already.

And what suddenly sent a wave a fury through me was the fact that I used to have an on-going prescription for Norco, a generic form of hydrocodone. It was a fairly weak dose, but it was usually enough to drop the pain level to a manageable level. But as the tears of pain fell, I picked up my empty bottle of Norco and read what it said on the bottom: "Federal law prohibits refill."

Yeah, as it turns out, just this past October, the government changed the laws regarding pain killers making them even harder to obtain. In fact, they even re-categorized another pain killer I take, Ultram, as a scheduled drug even though it isn't a narcotic so now even THAT is hard to get. Doctors are scared to prescribe pain killers out of fear that investigators will show up at their practice demanding to know why pain killers are being prescribed.

I don't blame religion for all of this, but there is plenty of blame that religion shares. This complete disregard for the people like me who have a genuine need for pain relief must now suffer ... because the Puritan-Protestant ideal is to nail the bad guy NOT help the victim. Thanks, religion, thanks alot. Since BOTH pain killers have been pounced upon by the government making it nigh impossible to obtain without being a patient of a surgery, I really don't know if I can keep going like this.
Sorry to hear about your pain. (Not merely stating the obvious here) Pain is a terrible thing. In a civilized society, no one should have to suffer unnecessarily.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:54 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
I have no issue with religion, per se.

I have issues with certain religious people.

They push laws that have no secular basis, but oppress people merely for doing what some religious text proscribes. They routinely undermine the teaching of science when that science doesn't jibe with their treasured dogma. Some of them fly planes into buildings, gun down doctors at clinics, plant bombs at the Olympics - all with religious excuses behind those actions.

What normal person wouldn't be angry with people who do such things?

Old 11-17-2014, 07:39 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I have no issue with religion, per se.

I have issues with certain religious people.

They push laws that have no secular basis, but oppress people merely for doing what some religious text proscribes. They routinely undermine the teaching of science when that science doesn't jibe with their treasured dogma. Some of them fly planes into buildings, gun down doctors at clinics, plant bombs at the Olympics - all with religious excuses behind those actions.

What normal person wouldn't be angry with people who do such things?
exactly!!! its people. Peroid.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:10 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Too much intolerance among the religious. In my little area of NC we have seven Baptist churches and you can drive to all seven within 10 min.that's how close to each other they are.

We have the all white Baptist church,(this is the South)
We have the all black Baptist church (same reason)
We have the white and black Baptist church ( some liberals do live in NC)

So we have four Baptist churches for one reason or another do not like the other Baptists in our area (real Christian of them)

For those who think Christians don't like Atheists, think again they don't even like each other.

Last edited by PDD; 11-18-2014 at 07:30 AM..

Old 11-18-2014, 12:58 PM

12,169 posts, read 2,959,937 times
I believe this thread was started because of the usual case of deflection. It is not the atheists that are angry. But many religious people are angered by atheism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism