Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 03:13 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,278,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Why are you not upset that atheists demand evolution be taught in all schools but you get upset for non-atheists to request their understanding be taught in all schools?
Because evolution is a valid scientific theory, appropriate to be taught in a high school science class.

I would have no problem with teaching ID or some other non-scientific theory in the appropriate setting - such as a class covering cultures and religions. That is where it belongs.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:17 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,278,059 times
Quote:
I hope it is okay to post this question here.

This link is where this came from: Why Are Atheists Investing So Much Money on Billboards Fighting a God They Don't Think Exists?

Why don't atheists put up billboards against Daffy Duck or other make-believe characters if they believe God is just a make-believe character as well?

Why not save kids from Daffy Duck?
Why? Same reason you come into this forum to promote your own view of course.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:29 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
We could all take up a collection and put up a billboard stating:

"God does not exist . . . maybe."

That way you please both the Atheist and the Agnostic and you are then telling the truth.

Leave me out of it, please.

That does not reflect my view at all, why should I contribute to it?

Old 12-17-2014, 06:32 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Exactly how do they do this?

Why are you not upset that atheists demand evolution be taught in all schools but you get upset for non-atheists to request their understanding be taught in all schools?
I get upset when promoters of non-science demand time in a science class. I would have serious objections to alchemy being given time in a chemistry class, or astrology in a physics or astronomy class.

In a history of science class, or in a comparative religion class, I don't object at all.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:23 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Quote:
If that is the case, why do the atheists hide behind words on those bill boards? Why not just come out and tell the public: "We atheists are against the religious institutions, policies and actions." Instead they seem to me to be too chicken or dishonest in their approach.
Clearly you have been paying absolutely zero attention whatsoever because they have been doing this, in the form of books, debates, public appearances, television appearances, local groups, international groups, and umbrella groups. As well as debate forums such as this.

That you have somehow managed to live under a rock and not notice any of this, does not mean THEY are chicken or dishonest. It means you are.

Quote:
The point of the OP is that atheists are putting large amounts of money into billboards to fight a God they don't think exists.
And you have been told many times now that this is not what is happening, and you are merely making this up. So while calling them dishonest, the only one actually being dishonest here is you. First by pretending they are doing things they are not, and now by still pretending the same thing despite several people on the thread having corrected you.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:43 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,214,754 times
OP...you want the truth? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!! (sorry...felt like the right time to channel my inner-Nicholson)

Atheists do not tend to advertise exclusively "logical fact statements" for the very reason this thread is even started. Logical facts would already have been "good enough" for most people to not believe in fairy tales if they had not had a lifetime of misinformation from the very people that taught them so many other things about how to live life. Unfortunately, this misinformation has propagated from generation to generation for far too long (which includes many nefarious reasons) and a (large enough) subset of these people wish to use (these particular) fairy tales to advocate for laws & social norms. Its effectively a rejection of the verifiable prior to deciding everybody should be following it. That's not how many of us want laws to be made.

Deconstructing that spider web of nonsense requires many tactics. And one of those tactics is a plea to emotion by touching on the absurdity that many believers feel (e.g. going to church on Sunday sucks) yet have not logically concluded that the entire reason for going to church is absurd (at least yet).

OP...it is good that you have found the absurdity of emotional advertising spin, and that it does not work on you. This means you have the potential to see even greater levels of logic. Now just hang out a little longer and we'll help you refine that logic so that you might also conclude that lack of proof = something to not fully subscribe to.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:52 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
not sure. I know it is not a religion.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:47 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
Why? Same reason you come into this forum to promote your own view of course.
NO, not really. I came here to ask a valid question.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
OP...you want the truth? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!! (sorry...felt like the right time to channel my inner-Nicholson)

Atheists do not tend to advertise exclusively "logical fact statements" for the very reason this thread is even started. Logical facts would already have been "good enough" for most people to not believe in fairy tales
I agree to a point. But fairy tales are good for the soul. They allow people to escape the mundane activities of life for a while. If I wanted to believe in a specific fairy tale, I would accept atheism since it is built on a factless basis. I'm not saying that to rile anyone. It is just how I see it.

But really, the atheists are putting up billboard posing as a child telling Santa (I didn't know atheists believed in Santa who truly is a fairy tale of sorts) they don't want to go to church because they don't believe in fairy tales? Do you think a child would actually make such a request?

There are just so many things wrong with this militant atheist agenda.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Clearly you have been paying absolutely zero attention whatsoever because they have been doing this, in the form of books, debates, public appearances, television appearances, local groups, international groups, and umbrella groups. As well as debate forums such as this.

That you have somehow managed to live under a rock and not notice any of this, does not mean THEY are chicken or dishonest. It means you are.
Do you have something against people living under rocks?

Quote:
And you have been told many times now that this is not what is happening, and you are merely making this up. So while calling them dishonest, the only one actually being dishonest here is you. First by pretending they are doing things they are not, and now by still pretending the same thing despite several people on the thread having corrected you.
No, actually I am posing an honest question. But the atheist agenda is being disingenuous in their billboards. Tell me, why don't they attack Judaism? Why not go after the Jewish religion? Or Shinto? Or Brahmanism? or why don't they put up billboards attacking Islam?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism