Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 01:21 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Maybe I phrased that wrong.

It would be better for Atheists to join the Agnostics and put up billboards stating something to the effect:

"We have not proven God exists."

Since Atheists cannot possibly know if He does not exist.
If it's better in your eyes, maybe you should spend your own money and put up that very billboard.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:28 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
The point of the OP is that atheists are putting large amounts of money into billboards to fight a God they don't think exists. That is equal to atheists putting up billboards telling people not to believe in Sponge Bob Square Pants.
You are mistaken here. Atheists are not fighting against god, they are fighting against those whose belief in god causes them to conclude that their point of view should prevail in society at the expense of other beliefs.

For me religion is an irrelevancy until it becomes intrusive. If someone wants to believe in the Geneses story as representing the origins of life, that does not bother me unless they then demand that it is an explanation on equal footing with what scientific has learned and insist that it be taught in all public schools.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:08 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
You are mistaken here. Atheists are not fighting against god, they are fighting against those whose belief in god causes them to conclude that their point of view should prevail in society at the expense of other beliefs.
Exactly how do they do this?

Quote:
For me religion is an irrelevancy until it becomes intrusive. If someone wants to believe in the Geneses story as representing the origins of life, that does not bother me unless they then demand that it is an explanation on equal footing with what scientific has learned and insist that it be taught in all public schools.
Why are you not upset that atheists demand evolution be taught in all schools but you get upset for non-atheists to request their understanding be taught in all schools?

Old 12-17-2014, 02:10 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
If it's better in your eyes, maybe you should spend your own money and put up that very billboard.
We could all take up a collection and put up a billboard stating:

"God does not exist . . . maybe."

That way you please both the Atheist and the Agnostic and you are then telling the truth.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:38 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Quote:

That way you please both the Atheist and the Agnostic and you are then telling the truth.

Actually the billboard should read "God does not exist.... maybe but if he does he is a fundamentalist evangelical Christian and all the other religions are false and the work of the devil"

How is it false by not writing everything a group stands for on a billboard. Does Nike's billboard state they wish to make a greater profit or does a Church's billboard state that they do not believe that other denominations are true? Why should atheists pay for and put up a billboard for another group?

And as far as atheists wanting to teach evolution in schools, it is not just they who do but most Christians as well. It is part of science the same as any chemical theory. It is religion not science that disputes evolution and then only certain flavours of those religions.

Perhaps you honestly just do not want atheists to be able to put up a billboard? Do you object to a religious group putting up a billboard saying that god exists? Why should they also not have to include agnostics? Sure the religious may believe that God does exist but do they have proof? Seems very silly to me.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:40 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:

Why are you not upset that atheists demand evolution be taught in all schools but you get upset for non-atheists to request their understanding be taught in all schools?
A) Well, for one thing, some put up billboards. Thought that you were aware of this based on your thread.

B) Science class should feature science, not mythology. Teach Genesis in theology classes, teach evolution in science classes.

I find it impossible to believe that you are being presented with anything new here. You seem to be acting deliberately dumb, at least I hope that you are acting.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:48 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,793,445 times
Quote:

Atheists are relatively sure that a god does not exist since there is no evidence to prove that there is. Can we prove that a god does not exist? Of course not but the burden of proof lies with the believer, not the atheist. I'm curious as to what kind of billboards you are talking about.....I've never seen one around here so I would like to know what is so profoundly "dishonest" about these billboards. It's already been explained to you that we're against the intrusion of religion on EVERYTHING, what is so hard to understand about that?

Why is this advertising any different than religious advertising?

Old 12-17-2014, 03:01 PM

282 posts, read 820,380 times
Since the link goes to a christian website... I should point out that you can prove the christian god does not exist. Normally you can't prove that something doesn't exist, but christians make it possible by defining god as being self-contradictory. A being cannot be omnibenevolent, omnipotent, and omniscient, plenty of issues and paradoxes there.

So I don't have proof god doesn't exist, but I do have a logical proof that the omnibenevolent, omnipotent, omniscient version of god doesn't exist... does that count for you?

Old 12-17-2014, 03:05 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,014,889 times
No one believes Daffy Duck exists and Daffy Duck believers aren't trying to legislate laws based on their belief in Daffy Duck. This isn't the case with god, however. You don't believe in Daffy Duck, but what would you do if Daffy Duck believers were trying to legislate their Daffy Duck beliefs into law. What if Daffy Duck believers were in the majority and their holy text said it was a sin to be a Christian. Instead of targeting gays, they would target Christians. They would work to prohibit Christians from getting married, holding public office or try to convert anyone who isn't a Christian etc. Most atheists aren't fighting to prohibit people from following religion, but church and separation just like you would probably do the same thing with Daffy Duck if those believers were trying to insert their beliefs in government.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:05 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:

Evolution is science. It is both a fact and a theory (in the scientific sense - it's not a guess).

You can teach your view in religion class, but not in a science class. Of course, you would not like the kind of religion class that can be taught in public schools because it would not take the view that YOUR religion was the true one. It would examine the religions of the world as different viewpoints that different people believe without telling children that one was better than another one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism