Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 09:28 AM

10,519 posts, read 6,154,434 times

Advertisements

Just for fun!

"The dress"
I did actually have a point to make with the above thread.

What seems like a simple photo did actually have quite a profound effect on me.

This is going to be rather long winded I'm afraid, but I need to lay out all the details to explain what I mean.

When I first saw the photo I thought it was a prank (posted very early morning on my facebook page). I even checked to see if the date was April 1st. All these people were seeing something entirely different than I was seeing. What was going on? I even thought I might be dreaming. This couldn't be real.
To test this out for myself, I went around and woke up my family one by one and asked them to describe what they saw. Two of my kids and husband described a white and gold dress...WHAT THE HECK? Now I knew it was genuine.

Maybe its because I'm an artist - I naturally automatically break up an image into its constituent colours. But even if you account for differences in the way we perceive colour (cones and rods in our eyes), it was clear that my family were perceiving this image very differently to me. I'll admit I have stared at this image for an inordinate length of time, trying to train my eyes and brain to see what others see. I can't. At all. To me it's dark blue and black. I can't see any white or gold whatsoever.
From the opposite perspective, my husband and daughter, had to be shown a photo of the real dress to be convinced it is black and blue. Even then they didn't really believe it.

I sat down with my family discuss it with them. My son, who after some time was able to see the image both ways did a great job at explaining to me what he thought was going on. He said that there is no light projected onto the front of the dress but there is a strong light in the background, so your eyes make you think that the dress is in shadow hence pale blue looks white and so on.
I have to take his words for this. Even though I held up a blue card next to the image and told them that the blue on the card was the same as the dress they said, "Yes - but it's white". (A bit like when you try to talk to a creationist about evolution and they are still not convinced, despite the evidence)

This all got me thinking. What if we really do all perceive the world differently?

What if theists really do see / feel / perceive things differently than I do? Who am I to say they are wrong? I don't mean just seeing the world in different colours but maybe there are other differences: sight touch, smell etc and even more profound senses we don't account for that we experience differently.

Just because I have no experience of what others tell me they experience should I really discount it because I can't see it myself?

Also don't get me wrong, I am NOT saying here that theists see colours differently at all- my husband is a lifelong atheist so I have already discounted that passing thought! But maybe we are all experiencing life in very profoundly different ways...

We can then get into a philosophical discussion about this. If a person experiences an event in a different way - of course that's still no proof of god - it could still be all in their head. Nevertheless I think this is food for thought.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:44 AM

50,083 posts, read 20,676,434 times
As I argued with Mystic and Gaylenwoof on the Consciousness thread a while ago, we are like radar operators. we get signals and information about the world out there through a series of rather imperfect mechanisms for presenting information, in various ways and processing them with a machine made of black pudding hash. I am amazed we get any reliable information through at all.

And yet it is amazing now much the old stodge adapts and corrects using information we don't even know. We sorta register that there is a blue bias in a picture and 'read' the colours beyond the blue which tells us it is gold. In my case, I must have been a bit dull as I just registered a silvery grey.

That is why we need the reservation of definite crediting, because something new may come up all the time. And that is why we need science and logic to correct these misunderstandings and misperceptions and why anything claimed to be so in innate revelations cannot be credited, because it is axiomatic that -without validating confirmation by science, we can't be sure of anything.

(Glad to get that in before re -opening a closed thread attracts a horde of infractions).

Old 03-02-2015, 03:52 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,560,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Just for fun!

"The dress"
I did actually have a point to make with the above thread.

What seems like a simple photo did actually have quite a profound effect on me.

This is going to be rather long winded I'm afraid, but I need to lay out all the details to explain what I mean.

When I first saw the photo I thought it was a prank (posted very early morning on my facebook page). I even checked to see if the date was April 1st. All these people were seeing something entirely different than I was seeing. What was going on? I even thought I might be dreaming. This couldn't be real.
To test this out for myself, I went around and woke up my family one by one and asked them to describe what they saw. Two of my kids and husband described a white and gold dress...WHAT THE HECK? Now I knew it was genuine.

Maybe its because I'm an artist - I naturally automatically break up an image into its constituent colours. But even if you account for differences in the way we perceive colour (cones and rods in our eyes), it was clear that my family were perceiving this image very differently to me. I'll admit I have stared at this image for an inordinate length of time, trying to train my eyes and brain to see what others see. I can't. At all. To me it's dark blue and black. I can't see any white or gold whatsoever.
From the opposite perspective, my husband and daughter, had to be shown a photo of the real dress to be convinced it is black and blue. Even then they didn't really believe it.

I sat down with my family discuss it with them. My son, who after some time was able to see the image both ways did a great job at explaining to me what he thought was going on. He said that there is no light projected onto the front of the dress but there is a strong light in the background, so your eyes make you think that the dress is in shadow hence pale blue looks white and so on.
I have to take his words for this. Even though I held up a blue card next to the image and told them that the blue on the card was the same as the dress they said, "Yes - but it's white". (A bit like when you try to talk to a creationist about evolution and they are still not convinced, despite the evidence)

This all got me thinking. What if we really do all perceive the world differently?

What if theists really do see / feel / perceive things differently than I do? Who am I to say they are wrong? I don't mean just seeing the world in different colours but maybe there are other differences: sight touch, smell etc and even more profound senses we don't account for that we experience differently.

Just because I have no experience of what others tell me they experience should I really discount it because I can't see it myself?

Also don't get me wrong, I am NOT saying here that theists see colours differently at all- my husband is a lifelong atheist so I have already discounted that passing thought! But maybe we are all experiencing life in very profoundly different ways...

We can then get into a philosophical discussion about this. If a person experiences an event in a different way - of course that's still no proof of god - it could still be all in their head. Nevertheless I think this is food for thought.
food for thought. No agenda's.
Non-science people stay out of it. ex- pizz doff fundie house wives and accountants need not say a word.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:34 PM

5,901 posts, read 3,787,043 times
I believe you're on to something because it's the only thing that makes sense out of the stark contrasts in what we see and feel. I'm like the OP, all I EVER saw was blue and black but I believe those who saw white and gold feel just as certain of what they are seeing as I do. If nothing else this simple debate taught a lot of different people about just how different our perspectives are on certain things, and I think that applies to religion as well.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:10 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,729,802 times
Oh good grief. I just found my way to this thread from your post in the other thread, where I posted this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Btw, people who saw the white/gold, what color was the background? I can't see it as white/gold because the background appears white to me.
I see the dress as white/gold and the background seems mostly bright white to me (with a small patch of red, a patch of pale yellow, a strip of brown, and a few grey-green blurs). The shawl or whatever over the shoulder appears white. I am pretty amazed that anyone could see the dress as blue/black. I can't seem to train my eyes to see how others could possibly see it that way.

And just a crazy little thought: I wonder if there could be cognitive or conceptual versions of this perceptual effect - some sort of neural "fixation on a certain interpretation" that causes liberals/conservatives or theists/atheists to perceive certain concepts in such radically different and seemingly unquestionable ways from those at the other ends of their respective political or spiritual spectrums.

I guess great minds, as they say, are thinking on the same tracks...sorta.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:47 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,213,179 times
When I first saw it I saw white/gold and could not see any other option. I perceived the dress as being shadowed so could not get past that.

Subsequently, I can now see blue & gold or brownish but definitely not black.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:47 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,157,293 times
White-golder from the get-go here.

And Cruithne, my friend. I think you're on to something.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:37 PM

63,755 posts, read 40,011,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
Oh good grief. I just found my way to this thread from your post in the other thread, where I posted this:
I see the dress as white/gold and the background seems mostly bright white to me (with a small patch of red, a patch of pale yellow, a strip of brown, and a few grey-green blurs). The shawl or whatever over the shoulder appears white. I am pretty amazed that anyone could see the dress as blue/black. I can't seem to train my eyes to see how others could possibly see it that way.
And just a crazy little thought: I wonder if there could be cognitive or conceptual versions of this perceptual effect - some sort of neural "fixation on a certain interpretation" that causes liberals/conservatives or theists/atheists to perceive certain concepts in such radically different and seemingly unquestionable ways from those at the other ends of their respective political or spiritual spectrums.
I guess great minds, as they say, are thinking on the same tracks...sorta.
I this case our great minds do think alike, Gaylen. I saw white and goldish brown with the background as you described. Clearly those with a mystical bent perceive the world correctly!

Old 03-03-2015, 02:51 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,170,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I this case our great minds do think alike, Gaylen. I saw white and goldish brown with the background as you described. Clearly those with a mystical bent perceive the world correctly!
Correctly??
The dress was actually blue and black.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:45 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,367,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
We do, but not so starkly differently as to be a justifiable source of existential angst over the whole thing. Perhaps this video is the best one available so far to allay your concerns on the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.