Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 05:24 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times

Advertisements

yes kay That's a great way to put it. thanks for quoting it arg.

I have to remember that one. It's the same way scientist remove the universe making choices. I have been telling people for years to count the number of people that survived a serious sickness in the last five years. Do the math, then be god and predict the number of miracles next year. And yours sums that all up without an hour of "exploitation". I love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 08:03 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,795,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Yes, telecommuting does make it easy, and I'm fortunate in that regard. I have to attend a company meeting and dinner once a year out west, and more infrequently join the CEO or one of the C-level executives on a business trip. Fortunately everything is kept businesslike and there have been no awkward moments there, either. We IT people usually get cut a lot of slack in tech-heavy companies, it's as if we were keeping a nuclear power plant from melting down and they don't dare upset us. That's actually not a bad metaphor that gets at the truth of what we do.
Yeah that's a good metaphor for it, my neighbor is an IT guy and he's always giving me his old gadgets to try and bring me up to speed as far as technology. Let's just say I've got a long way to go. I really respect what he does and am amazed at all of his knowledge.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:52 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
I never bought into the programming as a young child even though the program was forced upon me.

I intuitively knew as a child that there was something not right about the program.

As an adult it is inconceivable to me that people allow themselves to be programmed without ever questioning or researching the program once they become old enough or interested enough.

To answer the question: I have no trouble de-programming because I never allowed myself to be programmed with religion. I came into this world with great curiosity and a desire to to be free from peer conditioning.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:54 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I never bought into the programming as a young child even though the program was forced upon me.

I intuitively knew as a child that there was something not right about the program.

As an adult it is inconceivable to me that people allow themselves to be programmed without ever questioning or researching the program once they become old enough or interested enough.

To answer the question: I have no trouble de-programming because I never allowed myself to be programmed with religion. I came into this world with great curiosity and a desire to to be free from peer conditioning.
yep, that's pretty much mine. I don't understand "deprogramming". did they deprogram from not thinking? It was their fault "I" didn't think? Seems to me they need to have a talk mommy and daddy and ask them why they didn't let a child think.

I was very young and asking "but he made us? ... " I think I was in 6th or 7th grade when cosmos finally sealed it for me. I was an agnostic atheist at that point. But my sect does not say "never can know". that's a cop out, as much as the bible made me do it. My sect is more of "use stuff we have, or make stuff, so that we can do stuff we didn't do yet".

I am not sure about your last claim tho. "free from peer conditioning", does that mean free from the conditioning to not take your neighbors stuff too? Or do you mean you are willing to do the best you can with what you got? even if the peers are correct?

Old 03-20-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yep, that's pretty much mine. I don't understand "deprogramming". did they deprogram from not thinking? It was their fault "I" didn't think? Seems to me they need to have a talk mommy and daddy and ask them why they didn't let a child think.

I was very young and asking "but he made us? ... " I think I was in 6th or 7th grade when cosmos finally sealed it for me. I was an agnostic atheist at that point. But my sect does not say "never can know". that's a cop out, as much as the bible made me do it. My sect is more of "use stuff we have, or make stuff, so that we can do stuff we didn't do yet".

I am not sure about your last claim tho. "free from peer conditioning", does that mean free from the conditioning to not take your neighbors stuff too? Or do you mean you are willing to do the best you can with what you got? even if the peers are correct?

What I take as programming is the same as being conditioned. We all come into this planet and are conditioned/programmed from the get go. You experience the most conditioning from your parents or who ever raised you. The rest of the conditioning/programming comes from society as well as peers.

Example of peer conditioning...young people think it's cool to smoke and wear sagging pants...the young ones that are easily programmable or easily conditioned will adopt this behavior without even questioning it so that they can be "cool".

What is your "sect"? What do you mean by your sect?

Old 03-22-2015, 01:11 PM

18,493 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post

I envy you. Maybe I am just more gullible than most.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:19 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I envy you. Maybe I am just more gullible than most.
I suppose gullibility may be a factor, but honestly, if you're raised in a particular belief system, where everyone you know shares that belief system, then believing those things is as natural a part of your life as breathing. If, additionally, you are raised to obey and never question authority (teachers, parents, pastors, etc) it is beyond what your mind can comprehend that anything those authority figures say could be incorrect.

Thankfully that style of parenting is no longer in vogue, but it still exists.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:48 PM

18,493 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I suppose gullibility may be a factor, but honestly, if you're raised in a particular belief system, where everyone you know shares that belief system, then believing those things is as natural a part of your life as breathing. If, additionally, you are raised to obey and never question authority (teachers, parents, pastors, etc) it is beyond what your mind can comprehend that anything those authority figures say could be incorrect.

Thankfully that style of parenting is no longer in vogue, but it still exists.
I was pretty much raised in a bubble and isolated from the outside world, like you describe above. I probably had an Amish-like childhood, except with electricity.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:44 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
Question for all of the formerly-religious on here: did you have trouble de programming from some of the irrational beliefs associated with the religion? Particularly, did you have trouble getting some of the negative ideas and fears out of your head?
Not so much the beliefs and fears, but the habits. Twelve years of Catholic school will make some things nearly reflexive. Even a couple of years ago, when I walked into a church for a funeral Mass, I dang near dunked my hand in the water and crossed myself, and almost genuflected when I slid into the row of seats! This, after converting away to Unitarian-Universalism as an agnostic 10 years prior, and being full-blown atheist for a good 6 or 7 years. Totally mindless, but maybe that's the point, that religious behavior is pretty dang mindless.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:38 AM

Quote:
I was pretty much raised in a bubble and isolated from the outside world, like you describe above. I probably had an Amish-like childhood, except with electricity.
Have you de-programmed from what you were conditioned to believe? Or have you embraced it as truth?

Or are you at a point of questioning it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism