Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 03:27 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyFourSeven View Post
It is certainly amazing to me how great of a stranglehold the Christian faith has on black people, most notably. It is so great that I am almost sure many of us who are black barely know 3 black people within our circle of family and/or friends who are avowed atheists or agnostics.

Thoughts.

This is an EXCELLENT QUESTION. I too have often wondered the same thing. And quite frankly, am convinced that the black race has been hoodwinked by Christianity and I believe If black people would open their eyes and see the true history of Christianity they would run away from it. Blacks simply refuse to belive to accept that Christianity was a European invention that the black race was indoctrinated and forced into from the day black people arrived in the United States. In my opinion, Christianity has done absolutely nothing for Black people. Just take a look at the inner cities...there is a Church on almost every single street corner (and this is no exageration) and it seems like almost every other person on the street is either a Preacher, Deacon or Evangelist. All these Churches, all this Jesus, while crime runs rampant in the community. Christianity has done nothing for black people, but kept them in the gutter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 04:31 PM

553 posts, read 568,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
This is an EXCELLENT QUESTION. I too have often wondered the same thing. And quite frankly, am convinced that the black race has been hoodwinked by Christianity and I believe If black people would open their eyes and see the true history of Christianity they would run away from it. Blacks simply refuse to belive to accept that Christianity was a European invention that the black race was indoctrinated and forced into from the day black people arrived in the United States. In my opinion, Christianity has done absolutely nothing for Black people. Just take a look at the inner cities...there is a Church on almost every single street corner (and this is no exageration) and it seems like almost every other person on the street is either a Preacher, Deacon or Evangelist. All these Churches, all this Jesus, while crime runs rampant in the community. Christianity has done nothing for black people, but kept them in the gutter.
Well T.D Jakes and Crefflo Dollar$ are exceptions, but then again, look at their profession.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:37 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,163 times
I'm a black atheist.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:39 PM

793 posts, read 2,213,519 times
Many at my school when i was young were ateist or from atheist parents. But of course I went to school in Europe.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:54 PM

472 posts, read 1,544,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Errrmmmm... I'm kind of hesitant to touch on this subject because I think it raises some issues.

I think if you look at American history, it's no secret that slavery is a horrible part of our past. However, it's even sadder (and to me it's quite typical) that Christian slaveowners (or "Masters") taught their slaves the Bible. What's even sadder is that many of these slaveowners fed verses of the Bible that promoted (or failed to condemn) slavery in order to keep their slaves "in check". Keep in mind that any sort of formal education was completely unallowed for slaves in those days so any interpretation of the Bible was done by the "Master". It's no surprise to me, that even 140 years after the abolishment of slavery, that people still stick to their roots in regards to their beliefs. It's just passed down from generation to generation. No one questions it. No one bothers to ask. It's just accepted. I think with the typical Caucasian settlers you won't find much difference. Although they weren't 'slaves', their respective homes in Europe were all or mostly rife with religious fervor. Irish and Italian Catholics, English Protestants, etc.. etc.. all form a part of this country. Not much has REALLY changed except that people are speaking out and against religion a little more than was ever socially or legally allowed.

Anyway, anytime you have groups of people that have it really, really 'tough' such as the slaves of the 1500-1800's, the following inhumane equality that African Americans had in the early 20th century, or any other 'tough' time you'll find that religion becomes a little more deeply rooted. I think it's one of man's ways of coping with the unfairness of life. It doesn't mean it's true, it's just a way to deal with the bad things in life. "Life got you down? God is there." "Are you being treated unequally? God is there!" "Sad about the death of a loved one? God is there!" I think that many people bind to that because it gives them hope that there is a better thing than just this plain old miserable life. It's a way to cope, a way to deal. However, I'm forced to think that if there were no concept of God than people would strive harder to make their lives better. A belief in God says "Don't uprise, God will be there when you die." A belief in God says "You don't have to make things better for yourself, God will do that." In the end, it seems to me like far too many people throughout history have sat around waiting for God to do something and he never did it. What a waste!

I think there's a lot more to African Americans being Christians or believers than just the history of America but I think this is where you'll find the largest cultural impact of Christianity on African Americans.
You know... you're absolutely right. I am part African American, and I never took the time to think about it. But everything you said puts it into perspective.

+1 Rep Point

Old 06-26-2008, 10:57 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,163 times
I know this is irrelevant to the topic, but I find the term African-American highly offensive.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:01 PM

472 posts, read 1,544,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I know this is irrelevant to the topic, but I find the term African-American highly offensive.
Tell me more...

Old 06-26-2008, 11:02 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
The entire premise of your post is obviously to bash Christianity, so I'm not sure anything I say at this point will change your crusade...

BUT I would like to point out that Christianity spread through Africa LONG before the slave ships arrived (as a footnote Islam also later spread into Africa long before the "slave ships" showed up too.) Over a thousand years in fact.

Many of those enslaved already had a Christian faith and to assume that they are ONLY following the religion of their masters is simply false.

You may continue on with your rant without interruption from us uneducated, fundementalist, racist, bigots now.
I thought the only place in Africa that had Christianity was Ethiopia. Northern Africa had Islam and the rest of Africa had they're own tribal gods.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:29 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
I thought the only place in Africa that had Christianity was Ethiopia. Northern Africa had Islam and the rest of Africa had they're own tribal gods.
I believe you are correct. African nations had their own religions. Hence, Sub-Sahara African countries had absolutely no historical connection to Christianity.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:19 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,710,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyFourSeven View Post
It is certainly amazing to me how great of a stranglehold the Christian faith has on black people, most notably. It is so great that I am almost sure many of us who are black barely know 3 black people within our circle of family and/or friends who are avowed atheists or agnostics.

Thoughts.
I know me. That's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism