Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think gay people should be afforded the same rights and respects as anyone else?
Yes 94 96.91%
No 3 3.09%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 12:01 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,520,230 times

Advertisements

I'm setting up two polls in this forum - one for atheists and agnostics - i.e., those who do not subscribe to any faith, and another poll for Christians.

The question is this: Do you believe that gay people are just a natural part of being human and should be treated as such, like the right to marry a partner of the same sex and be accorded the same respect as anyone else you interact with in your daily life?

Please only answer if you're atheist or agnostic - if you're a practicing Christian, please answer that poll in the Christianity sub-forum.

Although the poll is a simple yes or no, comments and discussion are highly welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 12:04 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Yes, of course. I don't understand how any rational person could think otherwise.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:06 PM

605 posts, read 705,179 times
I'm just not sure what you hope to accomplish by this simple poll. If you ask a multitude of people here, they can tell you the results ahead of time

Old 04-10-2015, 12:08 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,520,230 times
I'm doing a compare and contrast with the one in the Christianity thread.

I've been bummed by all the anti-gay rhetoric lately, and I just want to see for myself how enlightened the freethinkers of society are.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:13 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I'm doing a compare and contrast with the one in the Christianity thread.

I've been bummed by all the anti-gay rhetoric lately, and I just want to see for myself how enlightened the freethinkers of society are.
I think you will be surprised by the results. Most of the folks who are arguing for discrimination will be able to honestly answer "yes". They firmly believe that gays have the same rights and are being treated fairly. No one can marry a partner of the same sex, so it is fair. No one can adopt with a same sex partner, so it is fair. Homosexuals are exercising their right to condemn themselves to an eternal Hell, just like any other sinner.

-NoCapo

Old 04-10-2015, 12:19 PM

A common argument from people who oppose the rights for gays to marry each other, is that "Of course they can have the same rights to marry - as long as it is to a member of the opposite sex. So they have the same rights." Does your question take that angle into account? I advocate that two consensual adults should be able to marry each other and be afforded the same rights and benefits as any other married people.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:29 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annilyna View Post
A common argument from people who oppose the rights for gays to marry each other, is that "Of course they can have the same rights to marry - as long as it is to a member of the opposite sex. So they have the same rights." Does your question take that angle into account? I advocate that two consensual adults should be able to marry each other and be afforded the same rights and benefits as any other married people.
Personally, I think that too many people are so hung up on what others are doing that they forget to live their own lives.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:37 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Although neither Atheist, Agnostic or Christian -- I'm gonna answer anyway.

So sue me.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Personally, I think that too many people are so hung up on what others are doing that they forget to live their own lives.
I'm not sure what your meaning is in relation to my quote or to the poll is. Who is not living their own lives?

Old 04-10-2015, 12:48 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annilyna View Post
I'm not sure what your meaning is in relation to my quote or to the poll is. Who is not living their own lives?
People trying to tell others how to live their lives according to the made up standards that religions claim to be the "word of god" are living in fantasy land instead of trying to live their own lives as best they can.

Little to do with your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism