Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 01:17 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,918,550 times

Advertisements

I'm curious what dictates your right and wrong?

Nature?

Government laws?

God? (Just seeing if you are awake. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 01:30 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,731,195 times
Here's how I define morality:

mo·ral·i·ty [muh-ral-i-tee, maw-]
–noun, plural -ties for 4–6.
1.conformity to the rules of right conduct; moral or virtuous conduct.
2.moral quality or character.
3.virtue in sexual matters; chastity.
4.a doctrine or system of morals.
5.moral instruction; a moral lesson, precept, discourse, or utterance.
6.morality play. (broken link)

I know, that's not what you're looking for, is it? What your actual question should be is "How as an atheist do you determine what is right and wrong?" because "morals" and "morality" have deep ties in religion -- which has no bearing on how an atheist thinks or behaves.

So, that said...here is how I personally determine what is right and wrong for me:

1: Will it hurt someone else if I do this?
2: Will it hurt me if I do this?
3: Does this go against the law where I live?

Those three rules pretty much cover anything you can imagine. So there you have it in a nutshell.

Last edited by RoaminRed; 01-17-2008 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-17-2008, 01:33 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,690,751 times
I had good parents who taught me right from wrong. Now, as an adult, I am 100% accountable for my own actions.

You can be an atheist/agnostic and still have compassion.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:49 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,776,473 times
Hopefully I'm attaching a link to a thread from some time back. It was one I started and I really felt that it was informative and managed to remain civil. (Of course, that was a different time.) Hope it helps you with your search of understanding the atheist just a little more. I know it did me...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...n-atheism.html

Old 01-17-2008, 01:59 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,315,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I'm curious what dictates your right and wrong?

Nature?

Government laws?

God? (Just seeing if you are awake. )
I personally define it as doing no harm to others, or the very least amount of harm possible. (it's impossible to go through life not causing any harm to anyone).

since every action has its repercussions, some things cause obvious harm like murder or theft. realizing that these actions have reactions upon myself and others it's simply best for me or to not murder, rape, steal etc....

as far as laws go. i usually follow them because it's too expensive not to. but laws of the land are not always what's best for the people.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:32 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,918,550 times
Okay let me rephrase that.

Does an atheist believe in objective morality? (Right or wrong regardless of whether you believe it or not)

Absolutes regarding right or wrong.

If so, where does that basis for said morality come from?

Nature?

Saying it's from your parents is really not an acceptable answer and will be followed up with "where did they get it from".

Old 01-17-2008, 02:52 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,731,195 times
Quote:
Okay let me rephrase that.

Does an atheist believe in objective morality? (Right or wrong regardless of whether you believe it or not)

Absolutes regarding right or wrong.

If so, where does that basis for said morality come from?

Nature?

Saying it's from your parents is really not an acceptable answer and will be followed up with "where did they get it from".
You can't attribute the word "moral" or "morality" to a person without religion and without belief in a deity. It just doesn't apply, because those terms are by their very nature based in religion. It would be like asking a horse how his feathers are today -- it just doesn't apply.

Now, right/wrong aren't necessarily tied to morals or religion, though often they are. The term I would most closely relate to what you're describing as objective morality is "social mores".

Social mores are things that are generally accepted as right and wrong in the society in which you live. For instance, in our society true pedophilia is always wrong (and I'm not talking about an 18 yr old being with a 17 yr old). Serial killers are always wrong. Things like this are indeed cut and dry, and what I would consider absolutes. Very few things are absolutes. Most things could be either right or wrong depending on the extenuating circumstances.

How do we decide if something is right or wrong? Simple. We're humans, we're smart. We use our brain to make choices. It's our intelligence that allows us to decide what is right and what is wrong. It's not nearly as difficult or unbelievable as you are making it out to be.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:

It's a very acceptable answer because it's the truth.

I could say that I learned to to be good through god, but I would be lying, which is wrong.

See, we do know right from wrong

Old 01-17-2008, 04:04 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,185,630 times
JViello, you keep trying to bait people who are atheists. If you're so interested in basic atheist philosophy, why not read a book. You refuse to accept anyone's opinion, and argue their responses.

At best you're disingenuous, at most the type of christian that makes people like me run from all things religious.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
JViello, you keep trying to bait people who are atheists. If you're so interested in basic atheist philosophy, why not read a book. You refuse to accept anyone's opinion, and argue their responses.

At best you're disingenuous, at most the type of christian that makes people like me run from all things religious.
I think his intentions are pretty transparent, but his constant quote mining and issue baiting are kind of entertaining.

You could replace "god/religion" with "santa clause" in every one of JViello's posts and his point would be the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism