Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 07:38 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,884,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Barton View Post
No matter a person's personal beliefs or lack thereof, they can still have a sense of right and wrong. Just because someone doesn't believe in God doesn't mean they don't have morals.
Excellent post and I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 12:16 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
Question How does an atheist define morality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I'm curious what dictates your right and wrong?
My desire to be treated fairly, as I would treat others.

Quote:
Nature?
Yes

Quote:
Government laws?
Of course

Quote:
God? (Just seeing if you are awake. )
Not at all.

What dictates yours? Fear of divine judgement?

Old 01-19-2008, 02:38 PM

620 posts, read 1,771,952 times
This thread amuses me. Basically, I treat others the way I'd like to be treated. Not a terribly confusing concept. It never ceases to amaze me that so many people think that one can't be ethical without having a belief in god(s).

Old 01-20-2008, 08:24 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,402,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
On what do you base this accusation? Atheists reject all religions as man made fantasies. The Koran was based on the Torah. The first Muslims were so close to Jews of the time that the Jews considered them another sect of Judiasm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
While it's nice that someone as esteemed as Paul has made comforting statements in regards to the Old Testaments laws, Jesus himself had a different viewpoint.

Matthew 5:18

For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the law until all is accomplished. whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

Where did you come up with that bizarre notion?

Wow, um, from...life? Hello? What, do you people live in a cave? It's pretty well known Christians are the most persecuted by atheists. I don't see any atheist groups fighting to get rid of prayer mats given to students with the public's tax dollars. Perhaps you two can enlighten me on that.

I'll have to get back to you on the Matthew verse. Give me a few moments. I think you have taken that out of context, if it is what I think it is.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:06 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,440,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Wow, um, from...life? Hello? What, do you people live in a cave? It's pretty well known Christians are the most persecuted by atheists.
Atheists persecuting Christians? Excuse me, but that's just plain ridiculous.

Quote:
I don't see any atheist groups fighting to get rid of prayer mats given to students with the public's tax dollars. Perhaps you two can enlighten me on that.
Afraid I can't. I have no earthly idea what you're referring to. Must be a big issue.

Quote:
I'll have to get back to you on the Matthew verse. Give me a few moments. I think you have taken that out of context, if it is what I think it is.
It's Jesus discussing the Old Testament laws. You know, like the stuff from Leviticus.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:16 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
Quote:
Wow, um, from...life? Hello? What, do you people live in a cave? It's pretty well known Christians are the most persecuted by atheists. I don't see any atheist groups fighting to get rid of prayer mats given to students with the public's tax dollars. Perhaps you two can enlighten me on that.

Please cite some recent (in the past two decades or so) incidents of atheists persecuting Christians in the US.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:48 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,001,555 times
Sorry that I've been away for couple days.

First off, thanks for the replies...pretty much what I thought.

My point is the fact that we have objective morals (Things that are right or wrong regardless if you believe it or not does prove we are born of a creator.).

You all had various things you said were considered "moral" and where that came from such as common sense, nature etc.

Where did these moral values come from? Lets trace it to the beginning of time. My faith says God was there from the beginning and gave his guidance. Yours says it's all by accident or chance and from that we evolved from our surroundings.

A few things that come to mind are

1. The claim here that pedophilia is wrong.

Why? Who says? What if there is a culture out there that you don't know about that where sexual relations between parents and children are a way of entering into a more intimate relationship. (It's happened in the past...why is it wrong now?)

So why is that wrong? Who are you to tell them what they are doing is wrong? Under who's authority?

2. That nature dictacts right and wrong.

Okay, then I ask you this - why is rape wrong? Since we are "evolved" from nature, it happens in nature all the time. Forced copulation is a part of nature. Why is it different for humans? In fact, an arguement can be made that this is how evolution works! The strong survive and procreate and spread THEIR DNA and thus the species gets stronger and "better".

So why is forced sex wrong for humans and no other creature on earth?

3. Hurting other people to get what you want is wrong. Again...why? Who says so? We are supposed relatives to primates and evolved from them. They do it all the time. Suvival of the fittest.

5. Stealing is wrong.

Why? Happens all the time in nature. Lion's make a kill and if the hyena out number them, they steal their food. Why is it wrong for us to do the same?

Who says the golden rule is the right way? What if I don't believe that? What if I treat you the way I want to be treated and it's not how you want to be treated?

It's real easy to sit in a nation who's rules and morality were based on the Judeo-Christian mindset and say "it's common sense"...or that "you learned it from your parents." It's another thing to think that if left to your own devices it would still be so.

What nation on earth is entirely secular and has their laws 100% based on their natural surroundings and "common sense"? It doesn't exist.

So I ask you, in all the right wrong you listed...why is it wrong, and according to whom and why is it different for specifically human beings to not do things that are replicated in nature - sometimes by our closest cousins all the time?

What makes us special? It works for them...why not us?

I'm interested in your replies.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:53 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,138,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
What nation on earth is entirely secular and has their laws 100% based on their natural surroundings and "common sense"? It doesn't exist.
Not from what I can tell. However, I understand that the vast majority of us have a conscience. Sociopaths would be the exceptions to the rule. I think we're all predispositioned not to want to hurt others.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:17 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
Quote:
This is disingenuous at best. Please provide examples where any atheist has supported prayer for any group over another in any manner.

No atheist or anyone else has asked that xians not be able to pray. The concern is that in school settings it is divisive, not inclusive, to pray to the xian god thing. Xians need to realize that theirs is neither a special, nor only religion practiced in the US today.

Tax dollars are not used for these issues. Please provide documentation that confirms your assertions.

Asking someone to perform their religious actions at home rather than in public is far from persecution.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:40 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,512,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Samadhi View Post
This thread amuses me. Basically, I treat others the way I'd like to be treated. Not a terribly confusing concept. It never ceases to amaze me that so many people think that one can't be ethical without having a belief in god(s).

Ditto. I don't need a sky daddy watching me to do the right thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism